• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any tech experts on here? I need to make a SATA drive bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Hello all, I've just bought a PC from an office liquidation sale (great bargain too), except the computer, like all in the sale were minus the hard drives (data protection etc). So I've bought a SATA 500gb drive to go in the empty slot, and would *normally* turn on the machine, press F2 and change the boot sequence to install Windows 8 from CD. However the BIOS is password protected to go straight to the hard drive, and I can't change the boot sequence without the password....and you've guessed it, the salesroom have no idea and the company that went into liquidation no longer exists to ask anyone there. So what I need to do is make the SATA drive that I've bought bootable, so that from the C: command prompt, I can insert a CD, and then run it....at least that's what I'm thinking...I'm absolutely no expert so I'm on here now asking for some expert advice please.... Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bangor-toad

Hi,
The simplest thing is to get rid of the BIOS password.
To do so, follow these steps:

Unplug the PC. (Really! - Unplug from the wall and take the mains cable out of the PC)
Open the PC.
Carefully remove the little coin battery.
Go away for a tea / coffee for at least 15 minutes.
Put the battery back in.
Close the case.
Plug back in and switch on.
The BIOS settings should all be reset with no password.

Good luck,
Mr Toad

JamesT

Established Member
Hi,
The simplest thing is to get rid of the BIOS password.
To do so, follow these steps:

Unplug the PC. (Really! - Unplug from the wall and take the mains cable out of the PC)
Open the PC.
Carefully remove the little coin battery.
Go away for a tea / coffee for at least 15 minutes.
Put the battery back in.
Close the case.
Plug back in and switch on.
The BIOS settings should all be reset with no password.

Good luck,
Mr Toad

There's quite often a jumper that will clear the bios password which might be easier than removing the battery. Finding the docs for the PC online (assuming it's a major brand like Dell) should help with this.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Finding the docs for the PC online (assuming it's a major brand like Dell) should help with this.
If you can identify the make and model of the motherboard that should lead to the same outcome!

I'd try removing the CMOS battery first and see if that does it but if not then you're going to have to try finding the right jumper.

stuartmoss

Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice. I shall try all of the above once home later.

3rd rail land

There's quite often a jumper that will clear the bios password which might be easier than removing the battery. Finding the docs for the PC online (assuming it's a major brand like Dell) should help with this.
Yes this is what I have done in the past to reset all BIOS settings. It can be tricky if you have never done this before and therefore don't know what you are looking for but I am sure there are YouTube videos etc out there which will help you.

najaB

Veteran Member
There's quite often a jumper that will clear the bios password which might be easier than removing the battery.
I second the jumper method. Even if it's not a major brand the header will likely be a single jumper somewhere close to the battery and labelled something like RCT_CLR or similar.

Howardh

Established Member
I bought a brand new Windows 10, but have a windows 7 disk+activation code, so removed the drive from the W10 machine, put in a new blank drive to install W7, yet the drive wouldn't kick in. On other PC's I have had no problem doing that, and I'm reluctant to nuke/boot the W10 drive and install W7 on it in case it fails!

So I'll try that battery method!

AM9

Veteran Member
I second the jumper method. Even if it's not a major brand the header will likely be a single jumper somewhere close to the battery and labelled something like RCT_CLR or similar.
The 'CMOS' jumper is usually three pins with a jumper on two. The centre pin connects to the CMOS memory positive power pin. One end pin connects to the battery positive contact and the other end pin connects to zero volts. When the jumper connects the battery to the CMOS memory the contents are preserved. When the jumper is connecting the CMOS memory to zero volts, the memory is erased. The reason that a jumper is used to 'unpower' the CMOS is that the current required to sustain the memory contents is very low, - in the order of nano amps, so the associated capacitance (both stray and actual components) on the line to the memory is enough to prevent erasure for minutes maybe hours. Shorting the CMOS pin to ground rapidly and reliably discharges the voltage to zero in milliseconds. When this has been done, return the jumper to the original pair of pins to power the CMOS memory and allow new values to be stored in it.
As najaB almost says, the pins should be labelled RTC_CLR or similar, (not RCT_CLR).

najaB

Veteran Member
The 'CMOS' jumper is usually three pins with a jumper on two.
Indeed. When I said 'single jumper' I meant that it's normally not near the front panel header (power switch, internal speaker, reset button, etc.) but rather sits closer to the battery or BIOS chip.
As najaB almost says, the pins should be labelled RTC_CLR or similar, (not RCT_CLR).
Well, that is "something like" RCT_CLR. :D

AM9

Veteran Member
Indeed. When I said 'single jumper' I meant that it's normally not near the front panel header (power switch, internal speaker, reset button, etc.) but rather sits closer to the battery or BIOS chip.
Well, that is "something like" RCT_CLR. :D
Yes, it wasn't a criticism. ☺ RTC stands for Real Time Clock, which PCs need as they weren't, and even now, aren't always able to access a time source from online. Once RTCs became the norm, they became the repository for the ever increasing bios settings data.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.