• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any tips for Network Rail psychometric assessment? Crossing Keeper role

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankieC

Been invited to do an online psychometric assessment for a crossing keeper role with NR, wondering if you guys have any tips or know anywhere to practice? Also, what kinds of tests are they?

I did the mechanical comprehension one a couple of years back and failed, a weak area for me so hoping it isn't that again.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

They usually give you some example ones to practice on before the real test.

Clearprop40

I sat the tests for a grade 8 signaller today and they got progressively harder!

• Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire: A questionnaire that measures your behavioral tendencies related to safety
• Ability to Concentrate: A test that measures your ability to concentrate and react to certain signals
• Reaction Speed (drv): A test that measures your ability to react quickly
• Multi-tasking Capability (drv): A test that measures your ability to perform three different tasks at the same time
• gridChallenge: A game that measures your ability to keep something in mind while trying to process other information

The above was what I done. You get an example to try before starting the actual test. Personally I found the grid challenge difficult and the multi-task one whilst not particularly taxing you needed to work relatively quickly to answer the questions.
Regards MF

ArchangelA

I did these in preparation for my grade 6 signaller role. Much better than the old SHL tests! The news ones were not what I would describe as easy though. I don't know where you would practice these particular tests online as they are quite unique.
My advice is the read the instructions and make sure that you know what to expect. Do the practice tests over and over and over again until you get into the rhythm of the test then attempt the real one. The multi-tasking ones are a little tricky as they make you do three things at once.

Clearprop40

I did these in preparation for my grade 6 signaller role. Much better than the old SHL tests! The news ones were not what I would describe as easy though. I don't know where you would practice these particular tests online as they are quite unique.
My advice is the read the instructions and make sure that you know what to expect. Do the practice tests over and over and over again until you get into the rhythm of the test then attempt the real one. The multi-tasking ones are a little tricky as they make you do three things at once.
The grid one was hideous towards the end! The others are looking for speed and accuracy and the multi- tasking one required all or most of my mental capacity! I thought the aviation psychometric tests were difficult but these appear to be mostly the same!

FrankieC

Are these psychometrics the same as a driver as in 2 fails and you are out for good for this role?

I did them, they weren't too bad but I am 99% sure I messed them up as I let nerves get to me, my hands were sweating and I made three mistakes on the first one and 1 on the second. No idea what the pass percentage that is required is.

Find out Monday.

Eddieo

I done mine this morning, I thought that i done ok but the grid test towards the end was tricky for me.
Not overly confident that i passed

Are these psychometrics the same as a driver as in 2 fails and you are out for good for this role?

I did them, they weren't too bad but I am 99% sure I messed them up as I let nerves get to me, my hands were sweating and I made three mistakes on the first one and 1 on the second. No idea what the pass percentage that is required is.

Find out Monday.
Hi. Did you get your results?

Token

The Risk & Safety behavioural questionnaire that I have just completed for a Grade 2 crossing keeper, was utterly bizarre. I was expecting situational judgement, but they were anything but. Some questions were blindingly obvious in terms of my response, such as being a reliable individual, but when it resorted to something such as

'I buy lots of expensive items because I like to show people how successful I am'

OR

'I don't care about those who are less fortunate than me'

And it's not even a question when the only responses available to you for each case are 'Slightly Agree', 'Agree', 'Definitely Agree'. There's no option for 'I don't agree with either'. It also depends on how you perceive the question. In my view agreeing with the former makes you appear bombastic, a chancer/risk taker to show off, and the latter, uncaring. So for someone who doesn't take unnecessary risks but does cares about others, there's no suitable response.

A friend of mine who worked in aviation said he saw a lot of unsuitable individuals get accepted for pilot jobs based upon psychometric test results. Personally I don't think the prove anything, as the questions themselves are ambiguous and assume everyone will interpret them in exactly the same way as the person who wrote them. People can also slip under the suitability radar by simply 'learning' which boxes need ticking in order to pass.

The concentration and reactions tests were easy (I thought), but that's because I have hobbies and a previous job role where those two factors are crucial. However, having seen some NR responses to questions on their facebook page about lower grade roles within signalling, people are recruited mainly upon personality than any previous background/transferrable safety critical skills. In that case, what was the point of the concentration and reaction tests? No point in having a really nice kind cuddly person sat at the desk if they possess the decision making/concentration/reaction skills of a stunned slug. Some things can be taught, but the ability to remain focussed and react fast and in the right way, has to be an inherent skill.

Casperlady

The Risk & Safety behavioural questionnaire that I have just completed for a Grade 2 crossing keeper, was utterly bizarre. I was expecting situational judgement, but they were anything but. Some questions were blindingly obvious in terms of my response, such as being a reliable individual, but when it resorted to something such as

'I buy lots of expensive items because I like to show people how successful I am'

OR

And it's not even a question when the only responses available to you for each case are 'Slightly Agree', 'Agree', 'Definitely Agree'. There's no option for 'I don't agree with either'. It also depends on how you perceive the question. In my view agreeing with the former makes you appear bombastic, a chancer/risk taker to show off, and the latter, uncaring. So for someone who doesn't take unnecessary risks but does cares about others, there's no suitable response.

A friend of mine who worked in aviation said he saw a lot of unsuitable individuals get accepted for pilot jobs based upon psychometric test results. Personally I don't think the prove anything, as the questions themselves are ambiguous and assume everyone will interpret them in exactly the same way as the person who wrote them. People can also slip under the suitability radar by simply 'learning' which boxes need ticking in order to pass.

The concentration and reactions tests were easy (I thought), but that's because I have hobbies and a previous job role where those two factors are crucial. However, having seen some NR responses to questions on their facebook page about lower grade roles within signalling, people are recruited mainly upon personality than any previous background/transferrable safety critical skills. In that case, what was the point of the concentration and reaction tests? No point in having a really nice kind cuddly person sat at the desk if they possess the decision making/concentration/reaction skills of a stunned slug. Some things can be taught, but the ability to remain focussed and react fast and in the right way, has to be an inherent skill.
Those risk and safety questions really made no sense to me whatsoever. Also the multitasking one where you had to do the equations do people use a calculator to get by that one and the dots and grids one how do people pass because they are really hard

Stigy

Established Member
To note, NWR differ their psychometric assessments based on the grade of signaller you’re applying for (or used to!). I say tests for grade 3 (I think) and grade 5 positions a few years ago and the testing was very different….I mean, I failed both, bit grade 3 was generally easier with more emphasis on logical reasoning than numerical reasoning (I’m terrible at numerical reasoning…..I mean, if someone has a cake, I’m not gonna be sharing it so….).

the sniper

Established Member

OR

I'd like to imagine these are RMT approved questions, weeding out the wrong sort at the door. :lol:

LCC106

Established Member
I’ve never worked anywhere that Unions approve or indeed have any input whatsoever to questions. Am I missing a bit of tongue in cheek? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.