• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any updates regarding the return of on-board catering and reopening of lounges at stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
It was on the platform. They’ve been running a static trolley at Newcastle Central for the last few days. There’s nothing on board.

View attachment 80726

View attachment 80727

Pictures of the static platform trolley originally posted by Twitter user @CAnsleyCXD

That's a brilliant idea - I wonder if that's better in normal circumstances than a buffet or trolley not being able to operate (either because of staff shortages or overcrowding). Just like with a local service and a bus - buy the food, eat, sit down and relax.

Then again, it's not the same as buying it on the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQTV

That's a brilliant idea - I wonder if that's better in normal circumstances than a buffet or trolley not being able to operate (either because of staff shortages or overcrowding). Just like with a local service and a bus - buy the food, eat, sit down and relax.

Then again, it's not the same as buying it on the train.

In normal times, all the normal station convenience store and food and beverage outlets would be open, so this is only relevant as long as there are no or few other options.

route101

Established Member
Shop on avanti service i was on must of been open, as few first class customers were collecting their offer. Looked like a snack box.
There was no announcement about the shop being open.

Butts

Veteran Member
Shop on avanti service i was on must of been open, as few first class customers were collecting their offer. Looked like a snack box.
There was no announcement about the shop being open.

Why on earth would there be no announcement ?

p.d87

Why on earth would there be no announcement ?
To avoid the inevitable scrum when announcements are made telling folk it's open. Plus shops at present are very limited on stock. No 2 sets are the same.

Butts

Veteran Member
To avoid the inevitable scrum when announcements are made telling folk it's open. Plus shops at present are very limited on stock. No 2 sets are the same.

Would there be enough people on the whole train to form a scrum ?

p.d87

Would there be enough people on the whole train to form a scrum ?
They are getting busier. More than 3 people appear at once then you cannot safely distance. It makes it easier for staff to manage social distancing. Been told not to make announcements so that's what is happening.

Butts

Veteran Member
They are getting busier. More than 3 people appear at once then you cannot safely distance. It makes it easier for staff to manage social distancing. Been told not to make announcements so that's what is happening.

Presumably even three people turning up at once with masks on would afford greater social distancing than that found on an Aircraft ?

Howardh

Established Member
I've got a long distance trip in a fortnight, hopefully more catering options are available then so there's no point in me asking now what's available. Does every TOC let you know (first and standard) what's currently available on their website?

p.d87

I've got a long distance trip in a fortnight, hopefully more catering options are available then so there's no point in me asking now what's available. Does every TOC let you know (first and standard) what's currently available on their website?
In normal times some TOCs do display catering menus on their website. Who are you meant to be travelling with as some TOCs have no catering at all onboard at the moment.

Howardh

Established Member
In normal times some TOCs do display catering menus on their website. Who are you meant to be travelling with as some TOCs have no catering at all onboard at the moment.
Avanti, Thameslink.Not expecting anything on Thameslink of course!

p.d87

Avanti, Thameslink.Not expecting anything on Thameslink of course!
For now Avanti are offering a collection at shop for snacks/hot drinks and water. They have recently introduced a cold breakfast box for morning and then it's cheese/crackers plus crisps and uglies later. All subject to availability. No at seat service in 1st. No alcohol/ soft drinks provided. Tbh depending where you are travelling from, I'd take my own if you felt the need to eat/drink on your journey. You could after all be on a voyager with no catering at all.

Howardh

Established Member
For now Avanti are offering a collection at shop for snacks/hot drinks and water. They have recently introduced a cold breakfast box for morning and then it's cheese/crackers plus crisps and uglies later. All subject to availability. No at seat service in 1st. No alcohol/ soft drinks provided. Tbh depending where you are travelling from, I'd take my own if you felt the need to eat/drink on your journey. You could after all be on a voyager with no catering at all.
Thanks, I looked on their website and couldn't find this information - although they did say the Euston 1st class lounge will be open (waiting on the others). Looks like I'll be calling at Gregg's on Bolton interchange to stock up. Can you get a brew on Avanti?

MDB1images

If I was traveling long distance on the Railway I'd for now presume the buffet /trolley will be closed(or sell a small selection of items)and that some shops will be shut on the station so I'd come prepared.
You may get lucky and the odd TOC may have something on board (I'd tweet them 1 hour before travelling to find out)but for now I'd bring something particularly if you need food/drink at certain times for medical reasons .

Fyldeboy

Can I ask those who are forced to travel in these times, is there still at seat catering on GWR 800s. understand ticket checking isn't happening for staff safety, so I assume no catering?
What's happened to the staff?
In HST days (Oh, I loved HSTs but time moves on :frown:) there was a buffet car, so no need for staff coming through the train - but heading to coach F would probably not be practical now anyway.

Dak31

trip couple of weeks ago had a static trolly doing a tea / coffee and biscuits only service as a "trial"... trip last week later had nothing. So on balance, I'd say there is no catering.

Parallel

Established Member
CrossCountry were serving a ‘static service’ from the front of the train when I used them last week. Only one person could go at a time but they had labelled some seats for other passengers to use whilst waiting. It was announced that it was a reduced offering too, but I didn’t get up to go and see what they had.

irish_rail

Established Member
Still no catering far as I know, and most stations still got absolutely nothing open to buy food inc plymouth and exeter. Bring a packed lunch lol

Ashley Hill

Established Member
AFAIK a static service is planned to operate on GWR soon. It's been trialed and risk assessed. I bet GWR are kicking themselves they didn't take up the buffet option on IETs.

py_megapixel

Established Member
AFAIK a static service is planned to operate on GWR soon. It's been trialed and risk assessed. I bet GWR are kicking themselves they didn't take up the buffet option on IETs.
Even if they'd tried to spec a buffet, would the DfT have let them?
VTEC had to do a lot to persuade the DfT that it was worthwhile on the EC units.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
GWR have just started a "static trolley" in the first class section of some trains. But this is a limited service presently on primarily Bristol and Swansea services (about 10-15 trains daily from Paddington).

Grecian 1998

Mixed messages on a southbound XC HST service out of Bristol yesterday - the train manager mentioned in her announcement that wearing face masks was mandatory at all times (not correct - a face mask and mandatory without an exemption). The retail service manager then made an announcement 30 seconds later to state she was selling a limited range of items from coach B and if you wanted to come up and buy anything, you needed to ensure you were wearing your face mask. So if you weren't aware of the law, it would sound like you could buy items you wouldn't be able to consume on the train in practice, and needed to ensure you were wearing an item that you had to wear anyway. There was no mention by either member of staff that you could remove your covering temporarily to eat and drink if you wanted.

Similar message from the retail service manager on the return journey on a Voyager, although the train manager's announcements were limited to the 'we are now approaching Sampford Peverell Interchange' variety. I did note that several passengers had refreshments in front of them (mainly alcoholic), so there might have been an announcement earlier clarifying this.

Fyldeboy

I'd love to see the risk assessment for someone walking down a train (confined space) within close contact of 100+ seated passengers.

Of course, if you're eating/drinking you won't be wearing a mask
GWR have just started a "static trolley" in the first class section of some trains. But this is a limited service presently on primarily Bristol and Swansea services (about 10-15 trains daily from Paddington).
On a 2x5 car, I guess the back half of the train are stuffed?

py_megapixel

Established Member
On a 2x5 car, I guess the back half of the train are stuffed?
Or possibly the services selected for the catering service are single 9 car units instead? I doubt only having catering in one part would pass risk assessment as it discourages passengers from evenly spreading out.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Or possibly the services selected for the catering service are single 9 car units instead? I doubt only having catering in one part would pass risk assessment as it discourages passengers from evenly spreading out.

Some do appear to be on 10-car (2x5) services, but not sure what section it would be in.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

What are uglies ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.