• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any VT services which guarantee a Pendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aylesbury2

I really dislike Super Voyagers for a number of reasons.

Are there any services out of Euston which are guaranteed to be Pendos or is it just chance (I know North Wales services are SVs because the line isn't electrified beyond Crewe etc.)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
I really dislike Super Voyagers for a number of reasons.

Are there any services out of Euston which are guaranteed to be Pendos or is it just chance (I know North Wales services are SVs because the line isn't electrified beyond Crewe etc.)?

I would expect all the Manchester and Liverpool services to be Pendos - not aware that Voyagers work those?

Also the Glasgow directs - I thought from what others had said the Super Voyagers were on the N Wales and B'ham - Scotland services, so when the B'ham - Scotland services were merged with/ extended to London, I guess there must be some Voyager rosters in that one.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me though......

6Gman

Established Member
Was surprised to find that the 1633 Preston was a (single) Voyager the other day.

driver_m

Established Member
You will not find them on Liverpool or Manchester services at all. (crewing reasons)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There are a couple of booked Voyagers on parts of the Anglo-Scotland direct route: the 0533 ex-Lancaster is a single 221 (joins with a Holyhead at Crewe), as is the 0952 FO Preston-Euston extra (runs via Alsager and Hixon too); however anything to / ex- Glasgow is a 390. I have a feeling one of the peak extras (perhaps an FO one) northbound is booked a 221, but I'm not 100% there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You will not find them on Liverpool or Manchester services at all. (crewing reasons)

This isn't meant to sound smart-arsed so sorry if it does, but if it was a Euston or Wolves crew both ways wouldn't it be possible? They both sign 221s (as do Liverpool guards I think?).

driver_m

Established Member
There are a couple of booked Voyagers on parts of the Anglo-Scotland direct route: the 0533 ex-Lancaster is a single 221 (joins with a Holyhead at Crewe), as is the 0952 FO Preston-Euston extra (runs via Alsager and Hixon too); however anything to / ex- Glasgow is a 390. I have a feeling one of the peak extras (perhaps an FO one) northbound is booked a 221, but I'm not 100% there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

This isn't meant to sound smart-arsed so sorry if it does, but if it was a Euston or Wolves crew both ways wouldn't it be possible? They both sign 221s (as do Liverpool guards I think?).

No not at all. Ask away! Wolves only sign part of those routes so that discounts them. Euston could but not all their drivers sign 221's. (None of the Manchester or liverpool caterers work 221's either which would mean no on board service. The caterers interwork with other depots) It could be done but it's probably in the 'too awkward' tray so it's easier to plan pendo only diagrams

aylesbury2

Is Edinburgh both SVs and Pendos? I was on a Pendo from MKC to Edinburgh the other day that went via Brum (where I got off) and was pleasantly surprised that it was a Pendo.

Last edited:

Qwerty133

Established Member
No not at all. Ask away! Wolves only sign part of those routes so that discounts them. Euston could but not all their drivers sign 221's. (None of the Manchester or liverpool caterers work 221's either which would mean no on board service. The caterers interwork with other depots) It could be done but it's probably in the 'too awkward' tray so it's easier to plan pendo only diagrams

Exactly what training do people whose job is making tea and bringing it to someone's seat need that is specific to the type of train?

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
Exactly what training do people whose job is making tea and bringing it to someone's seat need that is specific to the type of train?

The same training that means if they bring my train to a grinding halt because they've knocked something, they know how to fix it. The same training that means if someone is trapped in a bog they can stop them hyperventilating by knowing how to use the tms. The same training that means if someone is having a heart attack they know where the defibrillator is. Does that answer your question?

Jonfun

Established Member
The same training that means if they bring my train to a grinding halt because they've knocked something, they know how to fix it. The same training that means if someone is trapped in a bog they can stop them hyperventilating by knowing how to use the tms. The same training that means if someone is having a heart attack they know where the defibrillator is. Does that answer your question?

^ This. It would make for a lovely life if all that railway catering jobs involved was brewing up...

Times are a-changin'...Voyagers into Liverpool either 30th or 31st August.

calc7

Established Member
The 2200 Euston-Crewe (in the Manchester service group) is a single Voyager.

Mugby

Established Member
Not being facetious but it may have been easier to ask if there are any services out of Euston which are guaranteed NOT to be Pendos!

Since the Birmingham - Scotland services have been linked with Londons, I'm surprised Virgin havn't been asked to relinquish some Voyagers. Wouldn't it make sense to swap some five car sets with XC four car ones, then given Virgin's reduced need, fours could be doubled up on remaining diagrams?

aylesbury2

Not being facetious but it may have been easier to ask if there are any services out of Euston which are guaranteed NOT to be Pendos!

Since the Birmingham - Scotland services have been linked with Londons, I'm surprised Virgin havn't been asked to relinquish some Voyagers. Wouldn't it make sense to swap some five car sets with XC four car ones, then given Virgin's reduced need, fours could be doubled up on remaining diagrams?

Sorry!

I seem to be rather unlucky when it comes to Voyagers and usually end up on one to/from MKC or Euston, hence my asking.

driver_m

Established Member
Times are a-changin'...Voyagers into Liverpool either 30th or 31st August.

Heard a rumour that liverpool caterers were being trained on 221's. Makes sense of that. I'd guess there are more blocks in the pipeline too.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Not if they are required to tilt, no.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Short answer...no.

Virgin had some four-car 221s, but because of overcrowding they reformed them all as five-cars. The two "spare" driving cars are knocking about at Central Rivers, I think. Virgin need the 221s because they need to tilt.

The Birmingham to Glasgow trains were interlinked with the Londons for the same reasons of overcrowding. It means they can use a Pendo for some of the busier trains, and use Voyagers when the trains are quieter. The overcrowding on the northern end of the WCML used to be absolutely awful.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Going to be a problem with the tilt requirements! The XC voyagers have been "de titled" in a semi permanent manner

Mugby

Established Member
Going to be a problem with the tilt requirements! The XC voyagers have been "de titled" in a semi permanent manner

In that case, am I correct in thinking that certain sections of the XC route between Derby and Birmingham are now approved for 125mph running but XC Voyagers don't do it when running late because they have been de-tilted?

craigybagel

Established Member

Believe it or not, I reckon you could hand the keys to a Voyager shop to 99% of the general public, members of this forum included, and they wouldn't work out how to set it up, especiallly powering up the the computer.

Liverpool TM's and Driver's all sign 221s, as do some at Euston. Wolves do as well but that's moot as they don't sign Liverpool.

In that case, am I correct in thinking that certain sections of the XC route between Derby and Birmingham are now approved for 125mph running but XC Voyagers don't do it when running late because they have been de-tilted?

Derby to Birmingham is 125mph for trains that can run at HST speeds, which includes Voyagers. Tilt doesn't come in to it.

Minilad

Established Member

The 125mph running isn't dependent on tilting. Anything that can run at HST speeds can do it. Remember 220's have never been able to tilt

The Planner

Veteran Member

Apart from the answers before that confirm that can do 125mph where allowed, the running late makes no difference, if the linespeed is 125mph and they are capable of it then they are timed at 125mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.