• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anybody have any experience of.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaky

Manchester Metrolink ? Basically, our lass wants to take my mam to Bury Market and I've worked the train fares out OK (£48.20 return for the pair of them) from Gilberdyke to Manchester Piccadilly but I'm not too certain if I can buy tickets online for the Metrolink services ?

We're looking at times of leaving from Gilberdyke at about 10:00 and returning to Gilberdyke anytime between 19:00 & 21:00.

Can anybody offer any help at all ?

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not quite sure what tickets you're using for that price, but certainly WebTIS powered (eg eastcoast.co.uk) booking engines will allow you to purchase tickets to (eg) Bury Metrolink.

34D

Established Member
Manchester Metrolink ? Basically, our lass wants to take my mam to Bury Market and I've worked the train fares out OK (£48.20 return for the pair of them) from Gilberdyke to Manchester Piccadilly but I'm not too certain if I can buy tickets online for the Metrolink services ?

We're looking at times of leaving from Gilberdyke at about 10:00 and returning to Gilberdyke anytime between 19:00 & 21:00.

Can anybody offer any help at all ?

TIA

Can you explain the £48.20? I see that a GBD-MAN return is £32.10 per person. Perhaps either mother or wife have a railcard?

This isn't proclaimed to be the best deal, but may I suggest the following:

GBD-stalybridge £27.50 return each
GMPTE daysaver train&tram £7.20 each (this latter ticket is unlimited rail and tram in GMPTE land) your train MUST call at Stalybridge - most from Hull do.

Even cheaper:
GBD-Micklefield £11.60
Micklefield-Stalybridge £13.70
Daysaver as above - you need to call at Micklefield and stalybridge (which means being on a stopping service to Leeds - not really worth it in my view).

Others can do better, I'm sure

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
GBD-stalybridge £27.50 return each
GMPTE daysaver train&tram £7.20 each (this latter ticket is unlimited rail and tram in GMPTE land) your train MUST call at Stalybridge - most from Hull do.
I would disagree on that one. Westbound, only 4 Hull-Manchester call at Stalybridge, eastbound it is only 2. That is the weekday count.

Shaky

I'm not quite sure what tickets you're using for that price, but certainly WebTIS powered (eg eastcoast.co.uk) booking engines will allow you to purchase tickets to (eg) Bury Metrolink.

Thanks for that Ian. I used eastcoast.co.uk and I got a price for all tickets of £72 Not too bad at all for a day out for me old mam as a pressie.

Can you explain the £48.20? I see that a GBD-MAN return is £32.10 per person. Perhaps either mother or wife have a railcard?

D'oh I still had senior railcard ticked in the options coz I remember my mam used to have one but she hasn't renewed it !!!

Thanks again guys - much appreciated.

mancnq

Some TfGM day tickets for groups that might help cut the cost are listed here: http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/tickets_day_family.cfm?submenuheader=1

Metrolink Family Saver is £6.20 on weekdays (after 0930) and £5 at weekends (all day) valid for up to two adults and three children.

Metrolink 4 Adults Saver is £10 for up to 4 adults, valid after 0930 weekdays and all day at weekends.

Both of the above tickets would mean you'd need a train ticket to central Manchester, but you then wouldn't need to worry about having to call at Stalybridge.

If you can catch a train that calls at Stalybridge, then you could use a Group Wayfarer at £20, valid for up to 2 adults & 2 children all day (after 0930 weekdays) on all buses, trains and trams in GM and for quite a way beyond, especially into the Peak District.

Gathursty

Established Member
Not from Humberside but with mentioning the TfGM Wayfarer stretching to Grindleford, how frequent are Gilberdyke-Sheffield services including a change at Doncaster? Disregard this route if they are infrequent.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Metrolink Family Saver is £6.20 on weekdays (after 0930) and £5 at weekends (all day) valid for up to two adults and three children..
Ha! We were about to buy this a few weeks ago but found a hidden restriction on the machines (not shown on the website when we looked) that says there must be a child present or it's not valid! There were some 'helpers' at Man Picc (no idea why they were there that day; they aren't normally) helping people to use the machines, who denied their website was misleading, and denied our criticisms of their ticketing being complicated.

The £10 ticket for up to 4 adults is very good value though, if you have a group of 3 or more. Not worth it for 2 people as a day ticket is £4.50 each.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The £10 ticket for up to 10 adults is very good value though, if you have a group of 3 or more. Not worth it for 2 people as a day ticket is £4.50 each.

The 10 GBP ticket is valid for up to four adults - it's a Four Adults Day Saver.

Metrolink tickets can't be bought online. You need to use the machines (e. g. at Piccadilly).

I would suggest travelling via Doncaster (one change there, journey time around two hours) and buying a Northern Duo to Thorne Stations (12.40 GBP for both people) and two Off-Peak Day Returns from Thorne Stations to Bury Metrolink (22.10 GBP each). Your train would have to stop at Thorne North.

Last edited:

Shaky

The 10 GBP ticket is valid for up to four adults - it's a Four Adults Day Saver.

Metrolink tickets can't be bought online. You need to use the machines (e. g. at Piccadilly).

I would suggest travelling via Doncaster (one change there, journey time around two hours) and buying a Northern Duo to Thorne Stations (12.40 GBP for both people) and two Off-Peak Day Returns from Thorne Stations to Bury Metrolink (22.10 GBP each). Your ttain would have to stop at Thorne North.

Thanks for all the advice up to now. Just checked that option of yours Oscar & it seems really good because in both directions, my mam 'n' our lass would be on the same train that actually stops at the stations req'd (i.e. Change at Donny, then stay on the train at Thorne thro' to Gilberdyke). Is this OK or have I mis-read the instructions ?

I need to be certain because if there's any "messing around" to do stepping off and back on the train etc to comply with the ticket, I'd rather not put my mam through that and I would gladly pay the extra £16 or so for the other tickets I've found previously.

Also, you mention that the Metrolink tickets can't be bought online but East Coast have let me enquire about tickets straight thro' to Bury and you yourself suggest buying Thorne to Bury Online ???? Apologies if I'm being a bit thick but I want to get this right so I don't cause any hassles for the two of them.

Thanks again

Oscar

Fares Advisor
You can buy through tickets from many National Rail stations to Bury Metrolink online, just not Metrolink-only tickets. Sometimes the combimed tickets are more ecpensive than separate tickets but in the case of Thorne or Gilberdyke to Bury they are not.

You do not need to get on or off the train when using a split ticket - see National Rail Conditions of Carriage Article 19.

The split tickets let you travel via Doncaster whereas the through ticket lets you travel via Leeds. You can of course buy a ticket from Gilberdyke to Bury Metrolink for travel via Leeds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.