• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

anybody know of any trainee train driver positions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ew2001

hi i have been searching the web for past 2 hours looking for trainee driver jobs but i can't seem to find any if people can put links to them or point me in the right direction where to look for them that would be much appreciated as I'm trying to kickstart a career in the railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
You need to identify your local train operating companies and look on their websites. You can sign up for email alerts but it really is best to check the websites daily. Trainee driver positions in particular can be withdrawn within days or even hours as the number of applications rockets. Just be aware that many companies require you to live within a certain distance / commute time of your Home Depot.

RBSN

hi i have been searching the web for past 2 hours looking for trainee driver jobs but i can't seem to find any if people can put links to them or point me in the right direction where to look for them that would be much appreciated as I'm trying to kickstart a career in the railway

A) Where do you live?
B) How old are you?

SRH

If you don’t have the initiative to find the info yourself OP then I worry that you’d have what it takes to become a driver

why do people need to come with Arsey managerial comments like this!! Its a positive sign if a young person wants to start a career so lets help them try..

some people on here are a disgrace

Mgv1349

If you don’t have the initiative to find the info yourself OP then I worry that you’d have what it takes to become a driver
Ignorant reply, especially coming from someone who is a trainee driver and doesn’t know what it takes yet.

Bang on guys! The chap has come on here looking for help!

Message to all! When someone posts on here looking for help or assistance, offer it to them if and when you can.

Don't bother posting a reply otherwise!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes people come here looking for friendly advice so lets try and keep it that way.

My advice would be to keep watching this forum as when trainee positions arise someone normally posts a new thread. :)

Applepie356

People do post Trainee Driver job opportunities on here but don’t rely on that.

You will need some commitment in looking for a trainee driver post. Look on TOC’s websites daily, I wouldn’t count on using the email alerts as they either don’t come or arrive too late.

Look up the job description of train driver and relate your CV to it so that it’s ready. In some cases posts can get taken down hours after being advertised. So be prepared.

it’s a very sought after job so you will be competing with potentially thousands of others.

I’ve known people fresh out of uni who haven’t been able to get past sifting while people who have been in low level jobs like HGV driving managed to get the job.

I believe TOC’s prefer people who have been in work for a while as they will have experience that they can relate to train driving as well as life skills acquired from work.

Hi ew2001,

Welcome aboard!

I'm no railway encyclopaedia, but I'm happy to help, if and when I can

As some have already pointed out. You're still a little bit young to begin a trainee train driver course at the moment. Minimum age 21. (Although I stand corrected on this if anyone else can add?).

However, by no means allow this to discourage you from what could be the beginnings of a fantastic and rewarding career on the railways!

For someone like yourself it's the perfect time to start!

What you want to consider at the moment are customer service positions with a TOC (Train Operating Company) in your local area. From this you would gain both experience and knowledge that will assist you a great deal when the time comes to apply for the trainee train driver position!

You want to be looking for opportunities in your area or Brighton Railway Station. The main TOCs that operate from here are Southern, Thameslink, GWR and Gatwick Express, so start checking their websites daily for any positions that appear!

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck and get in there!

*If anyone else can add to this, correct me, or assist please do!

TCA

So. It takes about a Year of applying to get a Trainee Job, usually. You have to be 21 or older, but thr=ere's loads of stuff you can do if you are younger.

I Bookmarked every Train Company Careers page, in one folder on my Bookmarks bar and every day I Right clicked on that folder and clicked on "Open All in New Tab".
That took ten minutes every day. I applied more than 10 times until I got called to test + interview + got the job. It took me a year of doing that. I then did that everyday for the next two years until I got all of my Mates into the job.

I also practiced the Dots (Group Bordon) test for ten minutes everyday for that year until I got my job.

So, look at aslef.org.uk/information.html and look at each company's website for their Recruitment page and then do what I did.

You can get the Dots practice Test here

Good luck, if I can do it, you can do it [I can bearly read].

daddy_badger

As someone already posted get another role on the railway, that way you will have the opportunity to gain relevant experience. You will also have the opportunity to apply internally before vacancies are advertised externally.

Bookmark the TOCs careers website but also bear in mind franchises change over the years. Register for job alerts and apply to what you deem suitable. It pays to have a cover letter ready and cv - always read the job description.

Busandrail

I’ve known people fresh out of uni who haven’t been able to get past sifting while people who have been in low level jobs like HGV driving managed to get the job. I believe TOC’s prefer people who have been in work for a while as they will have experience that they can relate to train driving as well as life skills acquired from work.
The course im on now has people from so many different backgrounds. Window Fitters,HGV drivers,Bus Drivers, Locksmiths etc etc

ew2001

thanks to all of the helpful replies will try the above suggested comments on this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.