• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone any idea on the livery for the Virgin ecml trains. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeman0

Just curious as how virgin will deck out their new toys. My autistic lad is a big ecml fan and he's getting a bit nervous because of the change. Bless him

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Just curious as how virgin will deck out their new toys. My autistic lad is a big ecml fan and he's getting a bit nervous because of the change. Bless him ??????

This is the best I could find (Hitachi SET Class 800/801)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I know that is just an impression but the doors look rather narrow for a mainline intercity service. Bags, bikes, prams etc and the volume of passengers would surely struggle with them if they are to scale.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Assuming that the amount of silver on the intermediate coaches is the same all the way down (i.e. the second coach in the photo looks the same as the half shown at the other end) then I think it'll actually look quite smart as apart from the red doors, that's very much like the silver livery East Coast are currently carrying. As much as I do like how the 800s look in white, long-distance routes and the dirt accumulated with such probably means silver will wear far better. I'm OK with it. As for the narrow doors, bear in mind it's with reference to a 26m long vehicle rather than 23 like before. I think bearing that in mind it looks fairly similar to current single-leaf doors in width.

weeman0

Thanks for that ash. I wonder where the old locos will go, my lad has a love affair with class 91s. Cheers Ian

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks for that ash. I wonder where the old locos will go, my lad has a love affair with class 91s. Cheers Ian

The East Coast HSTs will sadly go for sure,but but in this months Railway Magazine, Stagecoach/Virgin are suggesting the possibility of retaining a number of short formed (5 Car) class 91/225 sets to run alongside the 800/801s even when they are fully introduced to provide additional capacity,as their performance ability would be such as to allow them to run in the same paths as the new trains, I suppose we shall have to watch and see.

tankmc

I assume they would look something like the current Pretendelinos.

I remember seeing a artists impression of the pendelino which was white with a silver virgin logo at the front. I thought it look pretty smart, i can not find the picture anymore.

Attachments

• HH_C0361x.jpg
    HH_C0361x.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 227

sprinterguy

Established Member
So we won't finally be seeing any Virgin Challengers then? Shame ;)
The whole fleet will be going through a refresh in the first two years of the new franchise, so we might yet see HSTs in Virgin red/silver – It depends if the £13.4 million set aside for the refresh stretches to the cost of the vinyls, I suppose.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The whole fleet will be going through a refresh in the first two years of the new franchise, so we might yet see HSTs in Virgin red/silver – It depends if the £13.4 million set aside for the refresh stretches to the cost of the vinyls, I suppose.

Has anyone noticed that it's red, silver and blue rather than grey, i.e. together with the red doors it's Stagecoach inter-city livery with a Virgin nose and silver instead of white?

Neil

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Has anyone noticed that it's red, silver and blue rather than grey, i.e. together with the red doors it's Stagecoach inter-city livery with a Virgin nose and silver instead of white?

Neil

Well spotted! Must admit I hadn't noticed that before.

Stats

455driver

Veteran Member
please delete as I cant be bothered explaining again that Stagecoach and not Virgin are going to be running ECML!

Last edited:

table38

Established Member
Will some of the 91s have BREL branding, like the Alstom and Bombardier ones on Virgin West Coast? :)

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Expect something similar to the pretendolino for the 91's/mk4's. The lines are similar so the artwork should be easy!

Probably be vinyls as they've recently all had repaints. Not sure if the red roof will work in vinyls?

I wouldn't be surprised to see one set done for the launch. Or at least in the first week.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Will some of the 91s have BREL branding, like the Alstom and Bombardier ones on Virgin West Coast? :)

That got me thinking, when the 91s were new, did not 91001 carry a GEC logo/branding on its front grill? Or was this just for publicity shots and removed when entering revenue earning service?

table38

Established Member
That got me thinking, when the 91s were new, did not 91001 carry a GEC logo/branding on its front grill? Or was this just for publicity shots and removed when entering revenue earning service?

http://hst43029.moonfruit.com/works-numbers-ac/4581493500 says:

The loco's were allocated GEC works numbers but the loco's only carried reflective stainless steel plates reading 'Supplied by GEC Alsthom'.

but not where the plates were!

4603215952_279x110.jpg

cjmillsnun

Established Member

It was just used for GEC publicity shots. The logo was then removed and replaced with a swallow.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
please delete as I cant be bothered explaining again that Stagecoach and not Virgin are going to be running ECML!

Everyone knows this. Being pedantic and acting clever does not contribute anything to the conversation.

Suraggu

VTEC will be sub leasing an additional HST to cover when the refurbishment begins.
That has been confirmed along with the supplier. No start date as yet.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Everyone knows this. Being pedantic and acting clever does not contribute anything to the conversation.

I don't think everyone does to be honest. To many questions about Virgin EC this and that when its just a branding like Virgin Media or Virgin Phone for instance.

Darandio

Established Member

Wanna bet!

On Tuesday when a member of traincrew looked rushed off their feet, a passenger said 'I bet you cannot wait until you work for Virgin'.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not until at least the 1st March officially.

Before National Express took over, I'm certain a Mk3 was repainted and back in traffic for at least a couple of days before the official takeover date.

I'm certain I never dreamt it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.