• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone been to Holmfirth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
There's not a lot to see but if you're interested in Last of The Summer Wine, you can see an exhibition on Last of The Summer Wine in Compo's old house and go in the Cafe which is actually a seasonal Cafe.

I think you can also do Last of The Summer Wine bus tours as many of the filming locations are in the surrounding countryside. I actually saw Frank Thornton and Robert Fyfe filming outside a pub in Marsden in 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Been there a couple of times to gigs at The Picturedrome, that is one of the attractions of Holmfirth, for a small town it does have a good venue and attracts some decent bands (if you're into music, that is!) On one occasion we stayed at The Old Bridge Inn which was pleasant enough. Had a wander around the town the following morning in some Yorkshire spring sunshine and we enjoyed that. Not one of those places where one might spend a great deal of time. Obviously 'Last of the Summer Wine' devotees will flock to the place but I never got into that.

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
There is little trace of the former railway terminus except for this building:
Holmfirth railway station (site), Yorkshire

© Copyright Nigel Thompson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
(click on picture to go to larger original) taken in 2009 when it appeared to be in use. A later photo on the same website, taken in 2014, shows it to be disused by then. I hope someone is using it again!

The Tourist Information Centre when I was in there some years ago had a comprehensive display of Bamforth's products. There are a number of cafes and pubs around as well as 'Sid's Cafe' for meals, and a couple of good bookshops - one in Daisy Lane behind the church and one near to 'Compo's house' - both were there some 5 years ago when I last visited the town.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes I have been a few times when staying in West Yorkshire, did see some filming of Last of the Summer Wine, some the actors came and had a chat which was nice. Pearl, Kathy Staff and Dame Thora Hird, all very pleasant people indeed.

The town does have some interesting little shops and pubs, I think there is a small museum there, perhaps to do with postcards? and or old films.

I came on the bus from Huddersfield. Certainly worth a visit if you are in that area.The scenery in Yorkshire is lovely. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.