• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone else still play Railroad Tycoon 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Ever since it came out, Railroad Tyccon 3 has been my favourite railway-themed game, it was annoying with crashing issues, but the Coast to Coast patch fixes most issues and I still play it.

Just wondered if anyone else on here still plays it, if so which scenarioes are your favourites?
Also if you had made any scenarioes yourself, I would be interested in what you came up with.
If you used to play, but no longer do, which games do you play instead?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
It’s a good game but it has compatibility issues with windows when downloaded from Steam. This crashes the game on start up, so I’m not sure you will find too many players of it, as it’s essentially broken when bought from one of the biggest gaming suppliers.

(It can be downloaded in a format that works from GOG galaxy).

For the above reason, I’ve actually got more hours on Railroad Tycoon 2.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Railroad Tycoon 2 did have some advantages over 3, more trains, much better interfaces at stations and more buildings to use, earlier start date, only thing it lacks is the nice graphics really.

I don't use Steam, have tried several times in the past and it never worked for me.
I was really disappointed when Sid Meier's Railroads came out as the spiritual sequel only to lack substance.

Iskra

Established Member
I agree; the game was slimmed down for the 3rd version. The graphics are better and I do find it easier to build track in 3 compared to 2 but other than that I’m happy with 2.

I’ve never played Sid Meier’s Railroad’s.

Interestingly, there have been some more railroad tycoon type games released recently but they aren’t a significant enough advance for me for the prices they are wanting.

topydre

Yes, very frequently. I find it fine on Steam (I have windows 10). The economic model and 3D view of the trains running made it much better than RRT2 in many ways.

Scenarios where PNW and self-enrichment is a goal don't interest me at all I have to say; I'd rather be running trains.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Yes, very frequently. I find it fine on Steam (I have windows 10). The economic model and 3D view of the trains running made it much better than RRT2 in many ways.

Scenarios where PNW and self-enrichment is a goal don't interest me at all I have to say; I'd rather be running trains.
Yes! Knew there'd be someone else still playing, I also don't pay much attention to the stock market.
I like the maps with ai competition most, such as Germantown USA for example.

Just wondered, have you ever had a speed record set before Firefly trains come out (I haven't).
And do you electrify track when the option comes up or leave it for ages?
It's an awesome game, I always use the flying pig company logo.

topydre

Yes! Knew there'd be someone else still playing, I also don't pay much attention to the stock market.
I like the maps with ai competition most, such as Germantown USA for example.

Just wondered, have you ever had a speed record set before Firefly trains come out (I haven't).
And do you electrify track when the option comes up or leave it for ages?
It's an awesome game, I always use the flying pig company logo.
I think I've had speed records set before the firefly. Usually something like 12mph lol.
Electrification can be a dilemna: it costs a lot to electrify all existing track but if there's a crash then replacing the crashed train with a steam loco when the 2D2 is cheaper up front, faster and more economic. My initial lines tend to be poor relations once I've got the income coming in to place double track, large stations etc. and it takes a while before I upgrade them.
The most annoying thing I find about electric locomotives is the lack of decent fast locomotives between the end of the E18 in 1966 and the introduction of the class 103 in 1970. I have to either buy an expensive-to-run deltic for a couple of years use or use slower electric locomotives than the E18.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Yeah, when I electrify main route the 2D2 is decent, but all electrics after that are substantially worse than competing steam or diesel, but I think they work out slightly faster due to not needing water towers on the route (a shame trains can't fill up on water at the station).

Before I got the Coast to Coast patch (which prevents this), I used to build and demolish post offices along the track to flatten gradients.

Trains I never use are Shay 2-truck, Fairlie, and Be52.
Firefly, Crampton, Consolidation, 2D2, Class 500, Deltic, and the HST are my favourites.

On the levels that need industry profit, I find just buying cheap profitable farms is the easiest way.

Not sure if you are interested but I found this site useful, the Dorchester loco is like the Planet except it can be purchased in any year so can be useful for crashes when short of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.