• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone heard this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I've travelled on Electrostars quite a lot over the years but I've never heard one sound like this, just curious what I'm hearing
Presumably a damaged traction motor / gearbox of some kind? Only really affected forward acceleration, wasn't audible during regen or coasting.
377304 if anyone is interested.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've travelled on Electrostars quite a lot over the years but I've never heard one sound like this, just curious what I'm hearing
Presumably a damaged traction motor / gearbox of some kind? Only really affected forward acceleration, wasn't audible during regen or coasting.
Wheelspin? Sounds a bit like the sound I'd associate with that but I'm not 100% because I've never been on a 377 to hear before

samuelmorris

Established Member
Don't think so, it consistently matched the normal pitch of the traction motors throughout. I've heard wheelspin / slip on similar units and never heard them sound like that.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Didn't sound too abnormal to me - where were you at the time? Near Sutton I'm gathering from the PIS.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Don't think so, it consistently matched the normal pitch of the traction motors throughout. I've heard wheelspin / slip on similar units and never heard them sound like that.
As I say I've never been on a 377, was the only thing I could think of though

samuelmorris

Established Member
It's most noticeable between 8 and 20s in the video, you may need to have it fairly loud on earphones to hear it. Between Cheam and Sutton but the unit was making the noise for the entire journey (Epsom to London Bridge).

fgwrich

Established Member
Have the Rails been recently (as in last night) been re-ground? Sometime's that can make a similar noticeable noise like the one in the video, as the unit accelerates.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Have the Rails been recently (as in last night) been re-ground? Sometime's that can make a similar noticeable noise like the one in the video, as the unit accelerates.
It does sound quite similar to that I admit, but that noise doesn't go away when power is no longer being applied.

Llama

Established Member
It does sound quite similar to that I admit, but that noise doesn't go away when power is no longer being applied.
It wouldn't do, it'll just increase in pitch as speed rises irrespective of traction power or coasting, and reduce as it falls.

RichardKing

I have heard that sound on 377s many times in the past and have always wondered what the cause is. I feel like it probably is something to do with the traction motor/gearbox, as you say.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I have heard that sound on 377s many times in the past and have always wondered what the cause is. I feel like it probably is something to do with the traction motor/gearbox, as you say.
That's very interesting as I used to commute daily on 357s for a few years and don't ever recall hearing it. I wonder if it's something 377s specifically are more prone to, for whatever reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.