• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone know any good places to go trainspotting coming from Swindon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainsandme

My dad and I have finally decided to go out to see some trains after months of lockdown and we're trying to think of good places to go. I was just wondering if anyone knew any good places.

We live near Swindon so please no recommendations of Glasgow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Firstly, welcome to the forum! :)
If you're in Swindon, Didcot is nearby. There are a few more trains as you get Class 387s on stoppers to London (having said that, I don't know if they run to Swindon now?) and various trains on the avoiding lines going to and from Oxford. There's also the heritage railway centre.
I believe the man behind http://www.hondawanderer.com/ lives vaguely near Swindon as well: have a look at his photos and see what kind of places are near you. The Cotswold Line (Oxford - Hereford) is really good - particularly stations such as Charlbury - but that might be a bit far.

-Peter

py_megapixel

Established Member
Definitely visit Didcot and go to Didcot Railway Centre which has excellent views of multiple lines (though you will be a little too far away to be able to read the numbers unfortunately)
Also accessible quite easily from Swindon is Cheltenham which has lots of stuff passing through. (Cheltenham is also quite a nice town though it's a bit of a trek from the station)

I generally don't enjoy massively large stations as it's too hard to see the whole thing at once so I constantly worry I'll miss something!

dave87016

Established Member
I also recommend didcot for the spotting and if your old enough the pub across the road from Didcot Parkway Station does a excellent and fantastic grub and imo isn’t expensive and get good portions

Peter C

Established Member
Definitely visit Didcot and go to Didcot Railway Centre which has excellent views of multiple lines (though you will be a little too far away to be able to read the numbers unfortunately)
If the OP does go to Didcot Railway Centre and wishes to trainspot from the site there, the best way of seeing numbers of trains on the avoiding lines is likely to be standing on the platform cloest to the railway centre entrance (assuming they're running trains on that running line) or going up the bank to the coaling tower.

-Peter

Nunners

Newport can be more interesting than Didcot, with more freight normally and a greater variety of passenger trains. It is a bit further but still more than manageable for a day trip

HSP 2

My dad and I have finally decided to go out to see some trains after months of lockdown and we're trying to think of good places to go. I was just wondering if anyone knew any good places.

We live near Swindon so please no recommendations of Glasgow.
Lots of good places around you, you and your dad may want to think about getting a rover / ranger ticket out. If you have a family and friends rail card you can get a discount on most rovers / rangers.
GB RAIL ROVER GUIDE - rail rover and ranger tickets
This is a link to one from Swindon.
GB RAIL ROVER GUIDE - Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.