• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

anyone know if these CSRE trains are coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i remember reading in the rail press last year that a train operator would be trailling one of these CSRE Polaris trains this year. now it appears that it's all gone away, anybody know any different?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
They claimed a couple of years ago to have signed deals to trial two of their designs with two different tocs (with the rumour Northern was one of the partners) however nothing since, theres been a recent rumour CSRE might be supplying the stock to GOCO for a trial reactivation after the Parry failure that prompted them to rebuild and increase the power of their demonstration unit, Hants was it?.

Nym

Established Member
Email from David Shipley a while back indicated that he'd let me know of any further progress, this is the only email I have ever gotten from him.

Code:
Dear [nym],

Many thanks for your e-mail and for taking the time to write to us.

Please find Pacesetter data sheet attached herewith, as requested.

To clarify, the product in our proposed range that is most suited to Pacer replacement is our Pulsar DMU. The latest data sheet for Pulsar is in preparation, but I attached for your reference a shortform brochure and a typical seating layout for a 3-car unit.

Both Pacesetter and Pulsar utilise the MAN D2876 engine, coupled to a Voith DIWA transmission, with drive to one bogie on each vehicle, via Voith cardan shafts and final drives. The final drive ratio is higher on Pacesetter to reflect the higher terminal maximum speed of 160 km/hr, as opposed to Pulsar’s 120 km/hr.

I trust this is satisfactory for now. I will forward the up to date Pulsar data sheet to you as soon as it becomes available. If you need any further information, please feel free to ask and we will do our best to oblige.

Once again, many thanks for the interest you have shown in CSRE.

Sent: 25 April 2011 19:01
To: [email][email protected][/email]
Subject: Pacesetter DMU Design

To whom it may concern,

I am a student at the Univeristy of Manchester, studdying Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, and have an intrest in railway rolling stock. I have been trying to find more details relating to the design and components to be used on the Pacesetter DMU and EMU, as it lies as a possible replacment for the BR Class 142, 143 and 144 Pacer DMU vehicles, soon to be life expired.

I am doing an independant comparison of the market of units available for their suitability for the routes, and thus would like as much information as possible with regards to performance and engineering details about the units.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appriciated and would not be used for any commercial or accademic purpouses.

Kind Regards
[nym]

[nym's email address]

Status
Not open for further replies.