• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone know of people who have not left their City?

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm not exactly fond of my hometown, the only things keeping me here are my lack of money and my friends and family being here.
Don't let your friends and family stop you from leaving. They'll still be there when you come back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike99

I moved from South London to the South Coast and drove back from there to London every day for work, my new next door elderly neighbour had never left the sleepy Sussex coast town all his life and when I told him my plans just stared at me and couldn't speak, when he did say something it was along the lines of 'he just couldn't get his head around that sort of commuting (that doesn't look right) to and from work.

Don't let your friends and family stop you from leaving. They'll still be there when you come back.

I've made it clear to them that when I get the money, I'm leaving as soon as I can. I'd probably visit as frequently as I can.

I've always found Lincoln to be a sort of second home. It's where my father's side of the family is from, and since I've been a baby every two years or so we've gone up to stay there for a week or so. And every time I've thought to myself just how much I'd love to live there permanently, and how much more I prefer the area to the Welsh Valleys where I'm from.

route101

Established Member
I don't know why but I was thinking you lived in England so I was saying that you'd have done not too bad to see as much of Scotland as you have compared to myself. :lol:

Live just outside Glasgow.

route101

Established Member
By leaving I mean moving permanently. I'm travelling all around the country these days. If I have the money I can get as far as Manchester and back in one day.

In hindsight I wasn't being very clear, I leave town all the time, but I've lived here all my life. I think I may have misunderstood the title of the thread, apologies.

I'm not exactly fond of my hometown, the only things keeping me here are my lack of money and my friends and family being here.

I see , i thought you hadnt set foot outside your town.

Not easy just leaving to move somewhere else.

People seem to move for jobs , what happens if you dont like the job ?

Porter Swain

I'm sixty and never have lived anywhere else other than the City of Peterborough (Other than five years away at Boarding school).... Parents have always lived in Pboro... and both sets of Grandparents also have always lived in Pboro (Includes guy in my avatar on Pboro North Station) AND.... all four sets of Great Grandparents, although most of them had come into Pboro around the turn of the Century to work here on the railways...... and I marry a Londoner lol, but kids are still here in Pboro. lol.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm sixty and never have lived anywhere else other than the City of Peterborough (Other than five years away at Boarding school).... Parents have always lived in Pboro... and both sets of Grandparents also have always lived in Pboro (Includes guy in my avatar on Pboro North Station) AND.... all four sets of Great Grandparents, although most of them had come into Pboro around the turn of the Century to work here on the railways...... and I marry a Londoner lol, but kids are still here in Pboro. lol.
Not in any way a criticism, but I just don't "get" that kind of life. My parents were immigrants to the UK in the 1950's, but being an Army family neither of myself nor either of my brothers were born in the UK and we never lived in the same place for more than three years.

After my father left the army we went back to the Caribbean but even then, we lived in four different houses in three parishes in the course of 15 years. Both of my brothers and myself have since moved back to the UK. The longest I've lived anywhere is here in Dundee since 2005, though to be honest I'm starting to get the itch to move.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I know a woman who has never left the county of Yorkshire in her entire life.

And why would you I suppose ;)

that's nowt. When I lived in Yorkshire i knew people ( plural) who had never left the village they were born in other than to go to market in the local town or to hospital as they got older. Lived, worked and died in the same small farming village.

Status
Not open for further replies.