• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone know what this was - 1T20 0205 Carlisle to London Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
Could have been to do with getting stock, or even passengers, in the right place, following lots of disruption yesterday evening (person hit by a train somewhere Crewe-Warrington area)
Very limited stop, but via Manchester and Birmingham, then right through to London so an unusual working indeed.

causton

Established Member
It has been in the system for a while, along with that return working, and two odd London Midland services leaving Euston at around 0745 this morning calling at Wembley Central only, before going to Watford or Tring, which are usually ECS movements. Very odd...

robbeech

Established Member
Do we think the train formed 1S42 that left platform 14 (where that service arrived) at 7:30?
I would have suspected it to be a movement to relocate stuff after disruption but if it had been booked for a while it could be something else i guess.

tsr

Established Member
Where I work, it has been known for ECS runs to be converted to unadvertised expresses if there are so many as just a couple of passengers who have been displaced through no fault of their own, where the last public service has otherwise departed, but there are still crews available (etc.). If it's been in the system a while, that's a bit odd, though.

Obviously the Virgin service in question would have arrived at Birmingham at a point at which you would expect early morning travellers to London to begin arriving. Perhaps it was somebody's bright idea that an ECS from further North could be converted to a through passenger working in case anybody was stranded overnight? Perhaps the Sleeper was unable to accommodate some passengers from Carlisle and an arrangement was made? So many possibilities!

As for a charter service, that would make for a very long day out for somebody, and presumably at pretty great expense for VTWC, who would have to no doubt organise quite a number of extra movements and crew. Obviously VTWC also don't have access to Sleeper stock, so an overnight journey to London would surely not be for anybody particularly prestigious or who cared about sleep. Could perhaps have been to transport a team from some unknown company or organisation carrying out a movement of engineers/light equipment overnight for logistical reasons.

neilb62

I followed it from Euston with the 16.30, chatting to the Manchester Driver working it on the next platform it appeared to be full of children for some sort of charity event. Quite an interesting route too with no need for route-conductors. It would have made a change to get across Aston-Bushbury as we don't often see it anymore.

randyrippley

Established Member
I've seen that route worked by HSTs before, but not a Pendolino.
How many times has it been done by an electric set?

atillathehunn

Established Member
No not in normal services, but timetabled services have run that way as a way of diverting off the mainline. They have done so in the not too distant past.

I have also been on a Pendolino that has been diverted that way ad hoc due to something going quite spectacularly wrong at Crewe (I think). We were diverted via Hixon, Manchester, and rejoining the mainline at Wigan I think. This again was in the very recent past.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
No not in normal services, but timetabled services have run that way as a way of diverting off the mainline. They have done so in the not too distant past.

I have also been on a Pendolino that has been diverted that way ad hoc due to something going quite spectacularly wrong at Crewe (I think). We were diverted via Hixon, Manchester, and rejoining the mainline at Wigan I think. This again was in the very recent past.

Re-joined at Golborne Jn. after travelling Chat Moss route from Manchester Piccadilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.