• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone on here who has assessed trainee driver applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumpa6259

Hi, I wondered if their was anyone on these forums that has assessed train driver applications previously that would be kind enough to have a look at mine? Although it’s already submitted a I want to give myself the best chances now and in the future. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joshuan542

Unfortunately you most likely will struggle with this, for driver roles especially it’s a struggle for everyone even those at the top internally to smash the applications and interviews, help is only really available with the information in the sticky at the top of the forum or if you can find a current driver to take a look

Lumpa6259

Unfortunately you most likely will struggle with this, for driver roles especially it’s a struggle for everyone even those at the top internally to smash the applications and interviews, help is only really available with the information in the sticky at the top of the forum or if you can find a current driver to take a look

Thank you pal.... I have re-read it a million times and to me it seems to fit the bill but I just worry. I’ve done 16 years policing so skill set should suit but I’m not daft enough to think there won’t be many more with equal skills.

joshuan542

Thank you pal.... I have re-read it a million times and to me it seems to fit the bill but I just worry. I’ve done 16 years policing so skill set should suit but I’m not daft enough to think there won’t be many more with equal skills.
Honestly, everyone tends to really worry about the application and assessments because it is daunting because it’s sort of like a monopoly of a job.

good luck to you, I’m awaiting the next intake for my TOC internally and hoping for the best! Just read and re read every little detail and prepare the best you can :)

Fat Gaz

Hi, I wondered if their was anyone on these forums that has assessed train driver applications previously that would be kind enough to have a look at mine? Although it’s already submitted a I want to give myself the best chances now and in the future. Thanks in advance.
Hi,
It would be remiss of me to suggest that the application itself is not important but it's entirely possible that what you write could come back to you at an interview later. Not that it WILL, that it might. It might be worth concentrating on your up coming tests. For me personally the first stage tests had a couple of tests which if I hadn't known about, would have tripped me up. Have a go at the bourdon test (plenty of tools available). Try the memory tests that come in the RSSB handbook for applying. Have a look here at some of the resources. I don't personally believe that you can train yourself to pass the tests. I do believe that you can increase your awareness of what's expected by practice and research and improve your chances of success.

Until you have completed the tests at both/all stages, it could be fair to say you could be just a number to the recruitment team. It's only when you have passed the tests and heading towards DMI that you surface to them. That's where your application might pop back up and the work you've put in now will come into it's own.

For me personally, I've got a start date with a TOC now. Through the process, I haven't had any questions asked of me that have related to my application that I could see. Like I say, it's possible the DM's may have read it and structured their questions based on what they read. Anything's possible I suppose.

Lumpa6259

Hi,
It would be remiss of me to suggest that the application itself is not important but it's entirely possible that what you write could come back to you at an interview later. Not that it WILL, that it might. It might be worth concentrating on your up coming tests. For me personally the first stage tests had a couple of tests which if I hadn't known about, would have tripped me up. Have a go at the bourdon test (plenty of tools available). Try the memory tests that come in the RSSB handbook for applying. Have a look here at some of the resources. I don't personally believe that you can train yourself to pass the tests. I do believe that you can increase your awareness of what's expected by practice and research and improve your chances of success.

Until you have completed the tests at both/all stages, it could be fair to say you could be just a number to the recruitment team. It's only when you have passed the tests and heading towards DMI that you surface to them. That's where your application might pop back up and the work you've put in now will come into it's own.

For me personally, I've got a start date with a TOC now. Through the process, I haven't had any questions asked of me that have related to my application that I could see. Like I say, it's possible the DM's may have read it and structured their questions based on what they read. Anything's possible I suppose.

Thank you pal. Appreciated. Just hoping I get past the sift it seems a bit of a lottery!

Fat Gaz

Sift? What TOC are you applying for? I ask because I'd be surprised if a sift on paper actually takes place given that the tests are a requirement. I'm certainly no expert but the process I've just completed, the selection was based on skill set not on personality (thankfully for me). At every stage my skills have been tested and at no point have I been assessed on who I am in a personal sense, only in a professional how-would-I-respond sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.