• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone planning 2016 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Is anyone else already well into their planning for 2016, or is it just me? I already have one trip confirmed, which is New York in early March, and everything else is getting planned quite significantly already. Sure is a benefit of a lengthy commute by bus, there's time to do these things! So far the plans include:

- Preserved line scratching (the Welsh ones in particular, as well as some in Scotland)
- PSUL moves clearout (Hambleton West Curve is top of my list to do, followed by one in the Toton area)
- Scottish shack and MU clearout, so probably a Daytripper/Roundabout bash as well as a Central Scotland rover, the latter a priority
- Anglia shack and MU clearout
- Some light rail shack clearouts
- Kent Rover, for 395s mainly and the epic peak time at Sevenoaks for 375s
- At least two epic clearouts in London

No doubt more plans to come, but that lot should be achievable in a year. Unlike my list for 2015! No dates set for any of it of course, not really any holiday hours left to book until April. Details as always will be discussed in a separate thread nearer the time of each trip, which I must get set up soon...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I can't really plan that far ahead.
There's other family all over the place and meeting them depends on if we got money or if we're not ill.
Although I would jump at the chance to get a Beeston tram, I still haven't had the chance due to my sister in law practically living in a shop in Nottingham and never leaving when we're visiting.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Only things in my calender for 2016 so far are a couple railtours, Pathfinders's "The Mini Tug" and UK Railtour's trip to Cornwall to clear a couple freight only branch lines.

I doubt 2016 will be as busy as 2015 for me

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's almost unavoidable in order to get the cheapest flights or the desired dates for, say, a week away anywhere that accommodation is limited. Though it seems like the planning process gets earlier every year.

And of course, the dates for music festivals are generally set a full year in advance which allows for plenty of forward planning and, in a similar vein, the release dates for tickets seems to get earlier and earlier each year. It seems like madness to me when, for any given festival, you can buy tickets for next years' barely four months after the last one: At least wait until after the New Year (and, just maybe, until a few bands have actually been announced?)!

Last edited:

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
With the delay to the Night Tube, I've had to postpone my 24 Hours of London trip from mid-December to March at the earliest. :(

I'll still be doing monthly trips to London, of the 12-13 hour variety. Especially so now that the end of Stagecoach London's Trident fleet is nigh, what with the latest tender news suggesting most of the 300 or so remaining Tridents will be out of London by mid-2016. I'll be trying to catch as many as possible, given these have been around East London pretty much as long as I can remember. Lovely buses they are, Stagecoach have maintained them brilliantly.

Other than that, I want to try and engineer a trip to Cardiff or Edinburgh, however these will probably be organised with friends who are not so transport orientated, so whether I'll be able to do stuff like the Valley Lines or the Edinburgh trams, I dunno yet. :P

In non-transport related stuff, I finish my degree in June, and I'm still considering whether to do a Masters and then a PHD. I'll also try to get to some gigs next year, 2015 has been very thin on the ground in this respect.

Last edited:

Established Member
I've got a few things planned for next year, but I've only confirmed one of them at the moment though.

I'm going to Glasgow again next year, although that's mainly to see A-ha live at the SSE Hydro (March 28th). I am planning to do the Fife Circle Line and a couple of other lines around that time too, if I can.

I'm planning to do a 7-day ALR as well but I'm not sure when this will be yet, but I'm hoping it will be around April (or as close to my birthday as possible). The plan at the moment for next year's ALR is to do whatever lines in Wales I still need to do after my trip to Cardiff in December, and hopefully some lines in the South West too (if I can stay with a friend of mine who lives in Hereford!).

Another plan that I have for next year is to try and get most if not all of the lines that I still haven't been on in the North West and Yorkshire ticked off, but I will probably do that in stages over the course of the year, rather than try and do them in one go all over a few days.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's almost unavoidable in order to get the cheapest flights or the desired dates for, say, a week away anywhere that accommodation is limited. Though it seems like the planning process gets earlier every year.

And of course, the dates for music festivals are generally set a full year in advance which allows for plenty of forward planning and, in a similar vein, the release dates for tickets seems to get earlier and earlier each year. It seems like madness to me when, for any given festival, you can buy tickets for next years' barely four months after the last one: At least wait until after the New Year (and, just maybe, until a few bands have actually been announced?)!

I think some festivals release a certain number of tickets for the following year's festival at the current years pricing a few days after the current festival.

As for Glastonbury, it's less about the music, more of the experience of going (from someone who did the festivals in 2008, 2009 & 2010) :)

-------

I forgot, but I've got a rough plan to do a 7-day East Midlands Rover at the end of June (staying in Nottingham), although that might be replaced with a holiday to Ireland

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The only 2 really in the book for me for 2016 so far is a 7 day North West Rover in late Jan-early Feb and a 7 day London bash some time in May/June/July.

sprinterguy

Established Member
As for Glastonbury, it's less about the music, more of the experience of going (from someone who did the festivals in 2008, 2009 & 2010) :)
Though in my view, that really doesn't say much for the line-up. ;) (Slightly) tongue-in-cheek there, but it definitely wouldn't be my cup of tea, Glastonbury.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm certainly not interested in Glastonbury, or the festival scene in general. I did do The Big Chill in summer 2003 though!

Lord Kite, I'd suggest a trip to Ireland to clear out that embarassingly massive blankness in your atlas! 4 day Trekker ticket should set you back around 100 quid, exceptional value for the coverage doable! Get the threatened lines in now before they close them...Willing to offer bashing advice should you choose to go!

I daresay a norm's bash to Dublin will feature again in 2016, but this time it'll be more about a couple of days for some proper Guiness in a proper pub :lol:

One trip I've fancied doing for ages though is a Highland Rover. Dunno why that one specifically but it's different!

Crossover

Established Member
Sadly, on 2nd April, my last 16-25 railcard expires *sobs* so I intend to do something to finish it off. Current thought is a trip down to Devon and Cornwall for a few days, as it is fairly new territory, in March maybe coupled with a trip on the Night Riviera 'just because' :P
Nothing really planned yet but 2015 has been quieter than 2014 for sure and I think 2016 will be quieter again

RichmondCommu

Established Member
My wife and I used to love going to Glastonbury, even with young children but we haven't been for 8 years. I would agree that the whole experience is amazing even without the bands however no one can deny that the bands are the main reason for going and this is the problem. It tends to be same headline acts on rotation and to be honest in our late 40's we'd rather have the same amount of time in Barcelona with guaranteed hot sunshine! Now I realize that many people will perhaps think that my wife and I are too old for festivals and yet the reality is many teenagers can't afford to go unless they work at the festival. In other words its perhaps only the middle aged middle class who can afford to go!

fowler9

Established Member
Riga in February booked and paid for. Later on in the year the Bloodstock festival and hopefully one of either Armenia, Iceland or Russia. These are in the planning stage at the moment. Armenia is top of the list. I have done lots of little trips to Central Europe over the last two years and Armenia, Iceland or Russia will take a little more time and money.

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
I live permanently outside the UK so, unlike a few of the plans already posted above, I'm planning a trip to the UK in September 2016.

I only get back to the UK for holidays & family catch-ups every 3 years or thereabouts, so I get a series of "snapshots" of the railway scene over the years, which tend to emphasise changes and developments - more so than living here and experiencing steady evolution.

Maybe afterwards I'll be able to post in the Trip Reports section on my observations & experiences.

My aim is to do a couple of regional Rovers (probably North-West and one other), a week in London, plus a few longer-distance hops around the country, hopefully using some well-priced First Advances.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Riga in February booked and paid for. Later on in the year the Bloodstock festival and hopefully one of either Armenia, Iceland or Russia. These are in the planning stage at the moment. Armenia is top of the list. I have done lots of little trips to Central Europe over the last two years and Armenia, Iceland or Russia will take a little more time and money.

You know Iceland only has one train right?!

https://instagram.com/p/6sTKsPlLpR/

Great country though.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Some future plans I have in draft form are:

Anglia Day Rover (north of Cambridge and Ipswich), plus a run to Kings Lynn on the way there. Possibly in April.

Another Southern Daysave, but with the emphasis on the Ewell East - Horsham/East Grinstead/Uckfield/Redhill - Tonbridge routes, as that is uncovered track.

Possibly a spin on a 395 Gravesend - Ebbsfleet International via Dover if I can slot in 4 hours somewhere so as to do it in both directions.

East Yorkshire Round Robin in February, if the weather is nice and if I can sweet talk my partner into doing it as well (I'm taking her to York for her birthday). Also, the eastern side of the remaining Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway between Sheffield or Retford - Grimsby Town or Cleethorpes via Brigg, and also the Teesside Airport shack score as well on the way back home.

An East Midlands/Lincolnshire Day Ranger in spring or summer, plus the 16:36 Derby - London St Pancras via Manton Junction and Corby (I can bail at Kettering or Wellingborough).

A West Midlands PTE Day Ranger (my first one was in 1988/9, and was branded "Midline Day Ranger" back then).

A London Midland Great Escape promotion next time it's on, so as to mainly concentrate on the London & Birmingham Railway south of Rugby.

Valley Lines Day Ranger in July when the show is on in Builth Wells. This is when there are normally direct trains from Cardiff via Swansea District Line, so as to complete that side of the Hendy Junction triangle. I was going to do it in July 2015, but I was ill and abandoned that trip.

A Freedom of the Severn and Solent Rover sometime on a mid week spring/summer bash.

A remote possibility of a Thames Branches Day Ranger, so as to crank out IC125s between London Paddington and Reading.

Some linear cranking along the London, Tilbury, and Southend Railway, as it is quite a frequent service along the common sections of route.

Additionally, I may also slot in a Merseyrail crankfest, so as to clear 507s and 508s, and also another West Yorkshire/GM Wayfarer so as to land Pacers and Sprinters.

alexf380

Established Member
Good to see I'm not the only one with ideas already floating about the old grey matter!

2016 for me will probably be about the same as 2015. There will be some Scottish stuff as there's still a lot to be done on home turf. I hope to get to Manchester/North West at least once, probably twice, The North East should be done once, as should Merseyside. I hope to also make it to London once or twice as well! (That's 6 month's worth of trips sorted already!) I doubt I'll get much more than that in next year, as I hope to continue my studies at college, so second year there will be a bit more full-on. Plus work is still a thing that needs to happen.

My goal for next year (railway-wise, at least) is to experience proper loco haulage, both diesel and electric whilst I'm not asleep, as that's not something I've ever had in my life. I also want a big chunk of Northern's Pacers to get the red pen treatment.

So yeah...that's my plan for the next 12-14 months!

Established Member
So far I have another ALR featuring some mega HST moves for the end of Feb and the possibly interailing in the summer. Or at least a 2 week Scotland trip!

PeterY

Established Member
I'm saving hard for an ALR next year and it'll be first class, all being well sometime in June.
I have some things in mind where I want to go and what I want to see.
Glasgow Underground.
Edinburgh trams.
Nottingham trams.
Diesel haulage.
A short ride on a PACER preferably over some jointed track:D

No doubt I'll be along for some advice.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The next London Midland Great Escape will be useful for me to attack the WCML south of Bletchley and also the Marston Vale line, with maybe those 4 stations north of Crewe to Liverpool

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I am still waiting for another Great Escape, disappointed there hasn't been one this autumn. When one comes up next, I will be using it to do some shack scoring on the Marston Vale or St Albans Abbey line.

I see people talking of doing ALRs, oh I would love to do one again. First Class preferably, but I'll settle for Standard Class. The freedom, the fun you can have on one, hmm...*goes to see how much one costs these days*

Established Member
I have actually got all my annual leave booked up for next year but haven't decided exactly what to do with most of it yet!

Needless to say it will be spent across the channel somewhere but we don't like jumping into anything too quickly as some countries don't give a lot of advance notice about forthcoming events.

Tentative plans at present include Portugal (haven't been there for nearly five years now), the RPSI "International Railtour" (last done eight years ago :shock:), Slovenia / Croatia, Hungary and Sweden.

Drogba11CFC

All line rover taking in the Aberystwyth, the SVR, Robin Hood Line, Yorkshire, Cumbrian Coast and R&ER. I've already started saving.

crehld

Established Member
My 16-25 railcard runs out next year and as I'm 30 and my course has finished I am no longer eligible so I intend to make the most of the discount before its gone!

My Wales coverage is non existent so an explore Wales flexi pass rover is on the cards for sure. I reckon I can get a fai bit done based at Crewe with an overnight in Cardiff.

And Anglia day ranger is also in the pipeline for the new year as we'll be spending some time with family that way (and a day's break from that would be most welcome ;) )

There are tentative plans for an all line rover too, but I'll need to rack up some serious husband points before I can justify disappearing for a week.

More northern railway day rangers and London Midland great escapes would be good if the opportunity arises.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am still waiting for another Great Escape, disappointed there hasn't been one this autumn. When one comes up next, I will be using it to do some shack scoring on the Marston Vale or St Albans Abbey line.

The next London Midland Great Escape will be useful for me to attack the WCML south of Bletchley and also the Marston Vale line, with maybe those 4 stations north of Crewe to Liverpool

Fancy combining forces should the opportunity arise?

PeterY

Established Member

I see people talking of doing ALRs, oh I would love to do one again. First Class preferably, but I'll settle for Standard Class. The freedom, the fun you can have on one, hmm...*goes to see how much one costs these days*

Should you ever do the Abbey line Techniquest would be great to meet you. I live a mile from Garston station.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It'll be a Monday if a Great Escape occurs again, of course I will announce my visit to the area when it is known.

Certainly a group bash sounds good!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I plan well ahead, have some steam trips and rail tours overseas booked already, some of these sell out quickly.

43021HST

Established Member
Well due to possibly joining uni next year, and moving away from North East Wales back to Reading (Good Riddance) and all the hassle moving from one side of the country to another involves. I don't think I can really draft many plans.

Although I did find out the missus likes Steam Railways so I may knock a few of them off this year, I have my eye on the Epping and Ongar Railway. The East Kent EMU gala is another one I keep intending to do every year but it never quite happens.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was originally putting money aside for an ALR, but then I discovered Europe...

Weekend trips to Copenhagen, Rome, The Vatican, London, Barcelona, Vilnius, and now Venice all paid for in Jan and Feb, Stockholm in March and Oslo in April. Yes, ryanair's planes might be the equivalent of a Northern Pacer on wings but at least they don't leak <D

Winter is in my opinion the best time to travel. It's cheaper, you get some beautiful scenery, especially up north, and the December markets in most major settlements are always worth a visit :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.