• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anything to do in Habrough/Barton on Humber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all.

I'm planning to go to Barton on Humber on Saturday 21st April to watch football between Barton Town Old Boys and Hall Road Rangers in the Northern Counties East League Premier. Of course I'll be ticking the Barton line branch. But I need to kill some time.

NRE gives this itinerary:
1021 to 1104 - Chinley to Sheffield
1111 to 1226 - Sheffield to Habrough
1319 to 1343 - Habrough to Barton on Humber

Kick off being at 3pm, gives me 53 minutes in Habrough. Any pubs/anything to do there? Barton, I've an hour or so there, same, any pubs/anything to do/see there?

Coming back, its a bit easier...
1755 to 1819 - BAU to HAB
1836 to 1844 - HAB to Barnetby
1853 to 2008 - Barnetby to SHF
2035 to 2116 - SHF to CLY.

Sure you'll all agree, a 185 mile round-trip for £13.00 with 16-25 railcard isn't bad! I presume the Barton branch is 153 operated :) ?

Tom

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There was a forum meet last September with that same itinerary from Sheffield-Barton :D

I cannot comment on Barton (though I suspect there will be pubs and local stores), but Habrough is an unstaffed station, quiet and with a bit of platform decoration and line guide notes from the local CRP; but it's not enough to keep you entertained for anything over 10 minutes. There's a TPE 185 and an EMT 153 booked through during the wait, and the village is literally next door to the station. The amenities? A pub and a gun store. That's it.

dvboy

Established Member
Barton you could walk over the Humber Bridge and back.

You will get bored quickly at Habrough, even in the pub, if you are on your own.

Bellwater

Is the pub in Habrough anything decent, any real ale?

The Pub is the only thing left in Habrough(apart from the Gun Shop), been there once in 20 years of using the station and the Beer is Awful.

Its a nice village where a lot of retired staff live but there's nothing there.

jonb

Established Member
Myself and a mate did a similar trip a few months back we had about a 50 minute change in Habrough. The pub itself is OK, they only had Timothy Taylor on tap ale wise but it did the job of killing some time.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I found the Wheatsheaf Hotel on Holydyke in Barton to be pretty good for beer. They also had roast spuds as bar snacks on the Sunday I was there :D

caliwag

The Sloop ( half a mile towards the Humber from station) seems to get reasonable reviews...in my 2008 Camra guide...food all day, but I'd ring (though might not suit your timings for grub) 01652 637287.
Habrough has The Station, er nearby, but I can find no hours, reviews or beer selection...close enough for an inspection I guess. Neither are mentioned on the Beerintheevening website, which I do find pretty reliable. No, I've not been to either.
Enjoy the day though...good value or what, even to scratch the Barton branch. Last time I did it (er 1978) it was like one of those films of a Chinese goods line on its last legs...well it is on squishy clay.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did a bit more digging! You could look at the Scunthorpe and district CAMRA website (you don't need to be a member) and note the phone numbers of the several micro brewers in the area: phone up and ask if they supply any near Habrough station.

Status
Not open for further replies.