• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anytime Day Return between Liv St & Chelmsford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haitch

From information on another thread, I note a discrepancy on a Chelmsford - Liv Street anytime return journey.

If I plan on travelling from Chelmsford to London tomorrow at 09:00 and return at 16:00 I would normally buy a return costing £27.40.

However, if I buy a LST to CHM anytime return it only costs £18.20.

Is there anything to stop me going for the cheaper option. Collecting my tickets from the ticket machine at CHM. Using my Return Leg ticket for the outwards journey and my Outbound ticket for my return?

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rdwarr

Yes, you can't do this. According to the Conditions of Carriage:

17. Using a return ticket
A return ticket (including a two-part return ticket) is only valid for the outward journey
shown on that ticket if the ticket is completely unused. You may not use the outward part
of a return ticket after you have used the return part.

Haitch

Well, that is clear. Almost impossible to implement and manage though I would have thought.

Any thoughts from revenue protection?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, that is clear. Almost impossible to implement and manage though I would have thought.

Any thoughts from revenue protection?

When you use the "outward" portion an inspector could request to see the return portion to ensure it has not been used first.

Romilly

Established Member
When you use the "outward" portion an inspector could request to see the return portion to ensure it has not been used first.

That's not merely theoretical: I have seen such requests made.

button_boxer

Established Member
Especially likely if using the return of a anytime day return at morning rush hour into LST!

That's not technically a problem (using the return in the morning is permitted, you're only committing an offence if you subsequently try to use the outward portion), and presumably a guard couldn't require sight of the outward portion when you're travelling on the return as you may legitimately not have it any longer (binned, retained by staff or a barrier, etc.).

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
They can also use the numbers printed on the ticket to trace when and where it was bought and collected. If the ticket was collected the same day at Chelmsford, then your excuses had better be good!

P.S. I am surprised that section 17 of the NRCoC doesn't explicitly say that the unused return must be carried and presented with the outbound part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.