• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anytime Day Return Clapham Junction - Farnborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkender102

Just a quick question on Anytime Day Return Clapham Junction to Farnborough Main. Can this be used to return from anywhere along the route? i.e Weybridge, Richmond or Woking to Clapham Junction? Planning on taking bicycle on the train in the morning and cycling back along the Basingstoke Canal / Wey Navigation / Thames in the evening. I can get a Single which costs almost as much as a Return but if I can use the Return from say Weybridge, Richmond, Woking etc it gives me the flexibility of completing the journey by train. Would the ticket operate the barriers to gain access to the station. I’m sure I’ve done this a few years ago by just telling the guy on the gate at Woking that I’d had a break of journey there.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The above hasn't answered the supplementary question though, IMHO the ticket barriers most likely won't allow you in or out at intermediate points, and you'll have to seek assistance.

soil

Established Member
I do this journey as far as Woking sometimes.

I would go CLJ - Roehampton Gate, across Richmond Park to Ham Gate, Lower Ham Road, across the Thames, Hampton Court Road, across the Thames, along the main road to Walton, then Weybridge, past Addlestone station, left on Slade/Brox Road at Ottershaw, down the A320 to Woking. (no waterways used at all, I find it a bit slow, though if I was going to I would probably skip the Wey out of all those you mention, just using the Thames as far as Weybridge than rejoining the Basingstoke Canal at West Byfleet or at Woking (enter next to the Muslim burial ground)

In terms of trains, Walton and Weybridge are not that well situated, so your best bet to bail is probably Surbiton, Woking or Brookwood.

Note that there are quite a few tickets that undercut the cost of Farnborough - Clapham Junction and could be used along this route.

parkender102

I do this journey as far as Woking sometimes.

I would go CLJ - Roehampton Gate, across Richmond Park to Ham Gate, Lower Ham Road, across the Thames, Hampton Court Road, across the Thames, along the main road to Walton, then Weybridge, past Addlestone station, left on Slade/Brox Road at Ottershaw, down the A320 to Woking. (no waterways used at all, I find it a bit slow, though if I was going to I would probably skip the Wey out of all those you mention, just using the Thames as far as Weybridge than rejoining the Basingstoke Canal at West Byfleet or at Woking (enter next to the Muslim burial ground)

In terms of trains, Walton and Weybridge are not that well situated, so your best bet to bail is probably Surbiton, Woking or Brookwood.

Note that there are quite a few tickets that undercut the cost of Farnborough - Clapham Junction and could be used along this route.

Cheers - I try to avoid roads as much as possible as never usually in a hurry and the added bonus with following the waterways is the abundance of rest stops - i.e. pubs right on the river. Usually after arriving at Hampton Court I cut across Bushy Park to cross the river at Teddington Lock and backstreets and river to Richmond to the Overground / Underground and put the bike on public transport there. Alternatively if feeling energetic do a right in Bushy Park and through Kingston and across Richmond Park, Roehampton Gate and Barnes Common and come out at Putney - across the Thames and into Parsons Green for a refreshing pint at the splendid White Horse. I did Woking to Tufnell Park one lazy afternoon after work which took a leisurely 4 hours with lunch stops etc but amazing how few actual roads I used.

I'd be interested in the alternative tickets Farnborough to Clapham if you want to PM me.

Last edited:

parkender102

Is break of journey allowed on the return portion of an Anytime Day Return Clapham Junction - Farnborough? Can you break and start at different sections? i.e. Train Farnborough - Woking, cycle Woking - Weybridge, Train Weybridge - Clapham Junction?

soil

Established Member
Yes, anytime tickets allow unlimited breaks of journey.

parkender102

Yes, anytime tickets allow unlimited breaks of journey.

Great stuff - thanks for the info - give me a wave if you pass me on your bike along that route! I'll be on a White Felt Hybrid Bike with Black and Red trim!

Status
Not open for further replies.