Anytime Return Tickets

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by BingBong50, 14 Feb 2020 at 11:09.

1. BingBong50

BingBong50 Member

Do Anytime Return Tickets allow you to break the journey on the outbound where the break of journey is overnight?

My trip would be:

East Croydon - Brighton
    1 night stay
    Brighton - Cooden Beach
    Cooden Beach - Brighton (Same day)
    2 night stay
    Brighton - East Croydon.

So could I just purchase an Anytime Return ticket to Cooden Beach or do I have to buy two separate tickets - East Croydon - Brighton return and Brighton - Cooden Beach?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

As long as it is an Anytime Return (code SOR) and not an Anytime Day or Short Return, yes, this is fine.

4. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

There is no Anytime Return from ECR to Coodon Beach, but you may wish to look into nearby stations.

For example, Gatwick Airport to Coodon Beach does have a £35.40 Anytime Return, but there will probably be cheaper alternatives.

5. BingBong50

BingBong50 Member

Ok - Thank you.

It's looking as if my cheapest option will be:

East Croydon - Gatwick Airport - Anytime Return - £7.40
    Gatwick Airport - Cooden Beach - (Via Brighton) Anytime Return - £23.35 (Both with Disabled Railcard Discount)

Would appreciate help to check if this is correct so I ask for the relevant tickets. Find it very confusing that there is no Anytime Return from East Croydon - Cooden Beach.

6. 30907

30907 Established Member

IF you are able to travel after 0930 on day 1 and 0900 on day 2, then it is slightly cheaper to use an Offpeak Return ECR-BTN and Offpeak Day Return BTN-COB.

(Note: it is allowable to break your journey overnight at BTN on an Offpeak Return ECR-COB if you cannot complete your journey in one day; however, I would expect to be challenged using it, so I don't advise it!)

There are no Anytime (period) Return fares on many routes around London - they are particularly open to fraudulent use - and Gatwick is the exception (for obvious reasons).

7. BingBong50

BingBong50 Member

Much appreciated - I will stick to the Anytime option splitting ticket at Gatwick as I don't fancy being challenged.

8. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

You may still be challenged about using the Anytime Return after an overnight break if journey. The fact that it is permitted does not mean that you won’t be challenged.

9. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

Total price £30.75
    Yet, up here in glorious Hertfordshire, a period return from Welwyn North to Cooden Beach with railcard is £28.20. Admittedly, you couldn’t use it on Day 2 for the Brighton to Cooden Beach leg, but it would be valid for the other bits. If I bought a Brighton to COB single with Railcard discount (£9.25), the total paid would be about 25% more for a journey taking in a far far greater mileage.
    The vagaries of ticket pricing amaze me!

10. 30907

30907 Established Member

That is an Offpeak Return. As mentioned upthread, this is also available from ECR (£21.05, so 25% cheaper for about 30% less mileage). However, the OP prefers the Anytime option costing 45p more.

That's true, but there's, with no argument about what "being unable to complete the journey" means.