• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anytime Single v Anytime Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
I always thought that a return was always cheaper than buying two singles of the same fare type. I was wrong though. What's the benefit of buying an anytime return if it's the same price as two anytime singles?
This is VTEC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I always thought that a return was always cheaper than buying two singles of the same fare type. I was wrong though. What's the benefit of buying an anytime return if it's the same price as two anytime singles?
This is VTEC.

The outward portion of an Anytime Return is valid for five days, and the return portion for one month. Whereas the Single is valid only two days.

With an Anytime *Day* Return the only benefit is that you don't have to queue to buy one on the way back.

button_boxer

Established Member
This is VTEC.

If you know exactly which day you want to return then there's no particular benefit, but if you don't then the return is more flexible. With a return you only specify the outward date, and the return can be any time within the next month (you could go part way one day and the rest of the way a week later if you wished), whereas with two singles they will both have fixed dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.