• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anytime tickets on Portsmouth-Exeter route

Status
Not open for further replies.

janecr

I want to get the 6.00 train from Portsmouth Harbour to Exeter returning at 12.26 the same day. Both Eastcoast and First Great Western websites are showing that neither an Anytime Day Return or an Anytime Return is available for this journey and that I have to buy two singles. I don't understand - surely if I have an Anytime ticket - valid on the 6.00 - I can use it to come back on any train? Or have I missed something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I'm not sure if an Anytime Day Return via Honiton & Southampton is valid on the 06:00 as this connection does not follow that route. If not, you'd need an Anytime Return via Westbury & Salisbury.

There is a rule which states that you can use cheaper routes as well as the route paid for. The only comparable fare is the Off-Peak Return which is £53.70 via Honiton & Southampton and £50.50 via Westbury & Salisbury. Does this make the Anytime Day Return via Honiton & Southampton also valid via Westbury & Salisbury? If not, might a change of route excess be possible?

You could also enter "Via Honiton" into a booking engine to get an itinerary via Honiton leaving at 06:00 (arr. Exeter St Davids 09:42).

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
The available adult fares between Portsmouth Harbour and Exeter St Davids are shown on this page (the standard class fares are at the bottom):

http://brfares.com/#fares?orig=PMH&dest=EXD&rlc=

The Anytime Day Single (SDS ANYTIME DAY S in the table) is only valid via Southampton Central and Honiton and costs £42 (to use this ticket it looks like you would change trains at Salisbury).

There isn't an Anytime Day Return between these stations but there is an Anytime Return valid for 1 month.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What is your itinerary? You can get the 0600, arriving Salisbury at 0718. There is then a 0740 from Salisbury, arriving Exeter St Davids at 0942.

Alternatively you can change at Westbury, arriving at 0747, connecting with the 0825 arriving Exeter St Davids at 0930.

The second option is slightly quicker however is not valid on a Route Honiton Shampton ticket, whereas the first itinerary is. To use the second itinerary, you need a Route Westbry Salisbry ticket.

janecr

I need to be in Exeter by 9.30 so will be changing at Westbury. If I buy a Route Westbury Salisbury ticket does this mean I can't use it on the 12.26 which goes via Salisbury but not via Westbury? All trains back from Exeter seem to go back via this route.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you have a ticket for a more expensive route then you are entitled to use a cheaper route.

In theory if you use trains on a cheaper route, you need a Change of Route Excess, at a princely sum of Nil. This applies even if you board the service without having sorted the excess out beforehand. You cannot be penalty-fared for being on a different route.

However as the excess is zero, many guards would not bother.

Route Westbry Salisbry Anytime Return costs £59.40, and is more expensive than Route Honiton Shampton Anytime Day Return.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
How is a route defined as "more expensive" or "cheaper"? Would the Anytime Day Return / Anytime Return (SDR / SOR) or the Off-Peak Return (SVR) be used for someone holding an Anytime Return (SOR)? Do you have to compare the ticket the passenger purchases with the nearest equivalent or do you have to compare tickets of the same type? The Off-Peak Return (SVR) is the only fare offered via both routes.

wibble

If you have a ticket for a more expensive route then you are entitled to use a cheaper route.

In theory if you use trains on a cheaper route, you need a Change of Route Excess, at a princely sum of Nil. This applies even if you board the service without having sorted the excess out beforehand. You cannot be penalty-fared for being on a different route.

However as the excess is zero, many guards would not bother.

Route Westbry Salisbry Anytime Return costs £59.40, and is more expensive than Route Honiton Shampton Anytime Day Return.

Not in this case - a geographical routeing only permits you to pass through the stations listed. i.e. a 'Westbury Southampton' ticket must involve travel via Westbury; a 'Honiton Southampton' ticket is only valid via Honiton.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
How is a route defined as "more expensive" or "cheaper"? Would the Anytime Day Return / Anytime Return (SDR / SOR) or the Off-Peak Return (SVR) be used for someone holding an Anytime Return (SOR)? Do you have to compare the ticket the passenger purchases with the nearest equivalent or do you have to compare tickets of the same type? The Off-Peak Return (SVR) is the only fare offered via both routes.

Sorry I wasn't being very clear. By "more expensive" I mean the comparison of applicable fares in question, which happens to be of two different fare types in this case.

Not in this case - a geographical routeing only permits you to pass through the stations listed. i.e. a 'Westbury Southampton' ticket must involve travel via Westbury; a 'Honiton Southampton' ticket is only valid via Honiton.

... which is the exact problem a Change of Route Excess is designed to solve.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Surely the OP should then buy an Off-Peak Day Return (CDR; £46.00) or an Anytime Day Return (SDR; £46.10) via Honiton and Southampton and then a Change of Route Excess on the outbound portion to an Anytime Return via Westbury & Salisbury (£6.70 or £6.65 respectively)?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Surely the OP should then buy an Off-Peak Day Return (CDR; £46.00) or an Anytime Day Return (SDR; £46.10) via Honiton and Southampton and then a Change of Route Excess on the outbound portion to an Anytime Return via Westbury & Salisbury (£6.70 or £6.65 respectively)?

Yes, that would work, too.

island

Veteran Member
Yes, that would work, too.

But my experience is that SWT will not sell such a ticket, preferring instead to sell two singles, or if pushed, a return by the more expensive route.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
But my experience is that SWT will not sell such a ticket, preferring instead to sell two singles, or if pushed, a return by the more expensive route.

Hmm. I think it depends. Some SWT staff do seem to have a poor reputation, particular in the London area.

Bournemouth, Poole and Southampton Central ticket offices all seem pretty competent at issuing excesses on the other hand.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience at any ticket office in Pompey so cannot really say either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.