• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anywhere that I can take a Psychometric test ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg38

Hi, does anyone know if I can take the Psychometric tests and obtain the certificate privately ?. I have the certificate ?. I think they use to be somewhere but I can't find any information now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C001

Only with dB at Doncaster and there is a waiting list .. they don’t run private tests often.

RBSN

Pointless as it doesn't make you a more appealling candidate.

Absolutely agree. There seems to be an idea that having a Pass on the psychometrics will open the door for you. That’s not the case.

If your application and interview is not on point you will not go further.

Stigy

Established Member
Absolutely agree. There seems to be an idea that having a Pass on the psychometrics will open the door for you. That’s not the case.

If your application and interview is not on point you will not go further.
Not necessarily true. Some companies ask if you have the assessment passes already at the application stage. I believe that’s what helped me getting a job anyway.

RBSN

Not necessarily true. Some companies ask if you have the assessment passes already at the application stage. I believe that’s what helped me getting a job anyway.

Of course but having that Pass mark doesn’t mean you’ll get the job over someone else.

Your application, interview, Psychometric exams, MMI and medical all have to be at a certain standard to be offered a place, failing any of these will mean someone else gets the job, regards if you’ve passed the psychometric exams or not.

Liam00086

Of course but having that Pass mark doesn’t mean you’ll get the job over someone else.

Your application, interview, Psychometric exams, MMI and medical all have to be at a certain standard to be offered a place, failing any of these will mean someone else gets the job, regards if you’ve passed the psychometric exams or not.
I think you are correct in saying it doesn’t mean you will get the job over someone else, but having the passes already under your belt will help speed things up if successful, as an example stigy applied the same day as I did for the same depot we were both successful but due to stigy having had the passes he is already on a course whereas I start 7 months later.

RBSN

I think you are correct in saying it doesn’t mean you will get the job over someone else, but having the passes already under your belt will help speed things up if successful, as an example stigy applied the same day as I did for the same depot we were both successful but due to stigy having had the passes he is already on a course whereas I start 7 months later.

Completely agree, it can speed the process up.

Lee0901

Pointless as it doesn't make you a more appealling candidate.
I disagree I passed psychometric tests with Freightliner, but failed the DMI. I applied to Northern got through the paper sift ( I believe putting that I'd previously passed the tests gave me a big advantage) Got an interview and now got a job.

Aivilo

Getting through the initial sift is the hardest part of the recruitment. You done that with freightliner before applying to northern so I stand by what I've said. May I ask how long the process was with Northern from application to commencement of training

Red1980

Completely agree, it can speed the process up.

How exactly? The recruitment process takes as long as the TOC wants it to. Does someone not attending tests mean the process is sped up in any way?

A start date won't come any quicker for you than it will the others needing to take the tests.

Red1980

That's not giving you an advantage....I'd say that's more for HR etc to know clerical wise exactly where they are with every candidate.....trust me you can have all the passes under your belt that you wish to have but if your application isn't up to standard you'll go no further than someone without the pass.

Liam00086

How exactly? The recruitment process takes as long as the TOC wants it to. Does someone not attending tests mean the process is sped up in any way?

A start date won't come any quicker for you than it will the others needing to take the tests.
the start date can come quicker tho, as me and stigy applied For the same talent pool on the same day for the same depot, he is on a course 7 months before me as he was taking his DMI before I even sat my first set of assessments.

Aivilo

the start date can come quicker tho, as me and stigy applied For the same talent pool on the same day for the same depot, he is on a course 7 months before me as he was taking his DMI before I even sat my first set of assessments.

Nothing to do with any other people applying in between you both.

Take it from someone that has been in he industry all his working life when I tell you it doesn't make you anymore appealing.

Liam00086

Take it from someone that has been in he industry all his working life when I tell you it doesn't make you anymore appealing.
I never said it makes you more appealing, just that if you have what they want it can speed up the process.

Stigy

Established Member
Getting through the initial sift is the hardest part of the recruitment. You done that with freightliner before applying to northern so I stand by what I've said. May I ask how long the process was with Northern from application to commencement of training
How does Freightliner’s initial sift have anything to do with Northern’s? You can’t be sifted for one company and carry it over, as they have their own policies.

The sift is however the hardest part, and the fact that you have the psychometric passes under your belt will often get you through the paper sift by itself. What I was getting at is that if you’re not getting past a paper sift, you’re not getting a job. Having the passes get you past this stage is a natural benefit over somebody who doesn’t have these passes. I agree that beyond this stage, you still have to impress at the DMI though. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting that it’s the same across the board, as different TOCs/FOCs operate differently, but if they’re basing any part of the sifting process on psychometric assessment passes, then that’s when you’re at an advantage if you have these. This is probably because it saves them money? And we all know how TOCs and FOCs love to save a bit of money.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
I disagree I passed psychometric tests with Freightliner, but failed the DMI. I applied to Northern got through the paper sift ( I believe putting that I'd previously passed the tests gave me a big advantage) Got an interview and now got a job.
It was the same for me with DB Cargo. A lot of companies will sift candidates by whether they have passed these tests as a first hurdle if you like. I believe DB asked on their application form at the time whether I’d passed? As I said In a post above, beyond sifting you’re very much in the same boat as everybody else, but if psychometric passed mean you’re sifted differently, then naturally it’s a benefit already having these.

Stigy

Established Member

I appreciate you have been in the industry all your working life, but what’s your point? Are you speaking from experience like some of the other posters are? Have you worked for a variety of TOCs and experienced a number of different driver recruitment processes?

Unless this is the case, working in the industry all your working life doesn’t really count towards this debate.

baz962

Established Member

I believe it can . I passed all mine with one toc , but fell at dmi . When I applied with the toc I'm now a driver for , I was still asked to attend the first assessment date for two separate toc specific test's and told upon attending , I would hear more when the results came in . I was in touch with other candidates from that day one. Two weeks later I had my dmi and another three weeks later my medical . The others from day one were just attending second assessment date , and were having dmi's and medicals as my course started .

Lee0901

I was interviewed end of Jan 2019 and started end of September

Red1980

I believe it can . I passed all mine with one toc , but fell at dmi . When I applied with the toc I'm now a driver for , I was still asked to attend the first assessment date for two separate toc specific test's and told upon attending , I would hear more when the results came in . I was in touch with other candidates from that day one. Two weeks later I had my dmi and another three weeks later my medical . The others from day one were just attending second assessment date , and were having dmi's and medicals as my course started .

that is still very much an exception rather than the rule. and is very much dependent on other things such as how many training courses they're intending to run. If they're running multiple courses in a short period of time (rare) yes that can happen.

But if you look at general driver recruitment you're in a very lucky position if that happens.....especially based on the strength of a test pass as most toc's have people retake them whether they already have a valid pass or not.

4F89

that is still very much an exception rather than the rule. and is very much dependent on other things such as how many training courses they're intending to run. If they're running multiple courses in a short period of time (rare) yes that can happen.

But if you look at general driver recruitment you're in a very lucky position if that happens.....especially based on the strength of a test pass as most toc's have people retake them whether they already have a valid pass or not.
I have heard of qualified drivers being sent back for another go at the psych tests again!

Aivilo

How does Freightliner’s initial sift have anything to do with Northern’s? You can’t be sifted for one company and carry it over, as they have their own policies.

The sift is however the hardest part, and the fact that you have the psychometric passes under your belt will often get you through the paper sift by itself. What I was getting at is that if you’re not getting past a paper sift, you’re not getting a job. Having the passes get you past this stage is a natural benefit over somebody who doesn’t have these passes. I agree that beyond this stage, you still have to impress at the DMI though. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting that it’s the same across the board, as different TOCs/FOCs operate differently, but if they’re basing any part of the sifting process on psychometric assessment passes, then that’s when you’re at an advantage if you have these. This is probably because it saves them money? And we all know how TOCs and FOCs love to save a bit of money.

Because it shows you have the capability to conduct your self correctly and put together a solid application which again is the hardest part.

My vast experience in the Industry is somewhat irrelevant I guess but what I can say is that I haven't yet failed in helping folk get onto the railways, a number of which from this very forum over the years

Red1980

I have heard of qualified drivers being sent back for another go at the psych tests again!

In what scenario? by the toc they work for? or when applying to another?

Can't imagine ASLEF looking to kindly on HR or a driver manager saying to any driver " do us a favour pop and take your tests again or you cannot drive tomorrow"

ComUtoR

Established Member
Can't imagine ASLEF looking to kindly on HR or a driver manager saying to any driver " do us a favour pop and take your tests again or you cannot drive tomorrow"

Happened at my TOC about two weeks ago.

4F89

In what scenario? by the toc they work for? or when applying to another?

Happens a fair bit. The mentors on the 150 hours see the driving, report back and the dude/dudette needs to resit. It happens. Aslef are not about to kick off about safety critical issues.

Red1980

Happens a fair bit. The mentors on the 150 hours see the driving, report back and the dude/dudette needs to resit. It happens. Aslef are not about to kick off about safety critical issues.

ASLEF not about to kick off over safety issues? hahahahah do you know ASLEF!!?

Red1980

only thing i have seen happen in that kind of situation is the trainee is put with different instructors and when it is deemed it's unlikely they are going to pass out a conversation about career choice is had.

why would people be sent for psychometric testing they've already passed? that testing has never proven anyone can drive a train to be fair.....it just proves theres an ability to undertake the training.....in reality we all know that it's far from a foregone conclusion anyone passes out no matter what their test scores are.

4F89

only thing i have seen happen in that kind of situation is the trainee is put with different instructors and when it is deemed it's unlikely they are going to pass out a conversation about career choice is had.

why would people be sent for psychometric testing they've already passed? that testing has never proven anyone can drive a train to be fair.....it just proves theres an ability to undertake the training.....in reality we all know that it's far from a foregone conclusion anyone passes out no matter what their test scores are.
My eyes do not deceive. Drivers qualified to full rules standard have been sent back to redo the tests. With Aslefs blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.