• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

****** AOL again

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd

Using my Dad's computer with AOL, I experienced a problem. Went to AOL help, I think they did solve my problem, but then the cheeky buggers started to try to sell me AOL Talk! (I put them in their place!)

AOL Staff: Welcome to Member Help Interactive. Please present your question, and I will be with you in just a moment. :)
AOL Staff: Thank you for calling in to Live Help!! I may be with some other members at the moment, please state your query and I will be with you as soon as possible :)
Me: Whenever I use AOL on this computer and leave it for a few minutes, I come back to find 60+ Internet Explorer windows trying to load welcomescreen.aolsvc.co.uk/welcomestart . They clog up the system and I usually need to do a hard shutdown to be able to use the computer again, which is obviously not pleasing me.
AOL Staff: I do understand your concern and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with AOL.
Me: This only happens when using AOL to connect to the internet - I have a wireless blueyonder broadband connection, and it doesn't happen when using that.
AOL Staff: Can you please tell me the steps you tried on your PC to resolve this problem?
Me: attempted to close IE, more windows just open themselves. I haven't bothered with a virus scan, because 1. it only happens when connecting through AOL, 2. My AV usually alerts me when viruses enter the system
AOL Staff: I have a suggested resolution for that problem. Please try the following steps and then come back to us if you have any further problems.
AOL Staff: Click on the Start button->Settings->Control Panel->Internet options->Settings Tab->Click on view files->Press Ctrl + A ->then press Delete.
AOL Staff: You will need to perform few more steps...
AOL Staff: For your convenience, I would send you the relevant steps through email in order to resolve the issue. Is that okay?
Me: thanks
AOL Staff: Before you go,could you spare me a few minutes of your precious time so that I can provide you with some valuable information on AOL Talk .
Me: no thanks, i already have an internet telephone service
AOL Staff: Can you please tell me what was your phone bill (including VAT) for the last month if you dont mind?
Me: i dont know, I dont deal with it, my partner does
AOL Staff: Being one of our most esteemed customer I could offer you one free month if you register for AOL TALK right now with me .
Me: by the way, there is no settings tab in Internet Options.
Me: i think you mean settings BUTTON
AOL Staff: Yes.
AOL Staff: Please allow me to explain the AOL Talk offer to you...
AOL Staff: If you sign up NOW, you get a credit of £9.99 on your AOL account. That means you get one month FREE subscription to AOL Talk service :)
AOL Staff: Let me tell you there is no minimum contract for AOL Talk. No usage cap. No connection fees are applied
AOL Staff: The best part is that you can check out the features for one month and if you are not satisfied than you can cancel it anytime
AOL Staff: You may give a surprise to your Partner by telling them that you have ordered AOL Talk. If they disagree, then you may cancel your AOL Talk subscription by calling on 0870 3 20 20 20
Me: no thank you - I don't want you to sell anything to me. Perhaps you could reccomend to your supervisor on my behalf that the help staff are prioritized to helping people, rather then selling your services?
Me: thanks. bye.
AOL Staff: Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jd

Everyone I know who has AOL has loads of problems - then I find out that the help staff are being used as salespeople rather than helping! They MUST be joking..

Tom B

Established Member
... and there are still people gullible enough to go with them :(.

jd

It's all their flashy TV ads - people only find out how bad they are when they start using it, and by then they're stuck on a 12 month contract!

Tom B

Established Member
Going on a 12 month contract with a company you don't know about is very stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.