• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AOL E-Mail Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

As I have said before, you appear to have opinions that you will never ever change. But you will change them if you see something good that they will do ... it really is pointless trying to talk to you about things that you won't even consider.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
OK fair enough, choose any browser. Personally I didn't pick firefox, but there you go.

Personally I can't help feeling sorry for all the people I see still suffering from a system I escaped from 1 and a half years ago, but I will still be glad to support anyone.

Before you start correlating programs with maturity, could it be that older generations may be less stubborn to change something for the better or more prone to false belief that problems exist with all computers.

All I know is that if it wasn't for MS, perhaps people would trust computers more. After all the DLR has yet to crash but there you go.

RJ

Established Member
I'm on AOL, but I use Opera. People go on like it's compulsary to use their browser :???:
[EDIT]
Tom said:
RailUK was tested in Internet Explorer but I didn't test it much, it does work fully in it though.

Firefox is one of the better browsers on the net, although I do feel that Microsoft use their power by distributing IE with their products. Here are a range of browsers that RailUK is confirmed to work with:

I used Opera Mini with my Nokia 6230.
I also used it with my Nokia 6630.
It also works on my Sony Ericsson D750i
[EDIT]
WSXFan said:
You'll never see me using FireFox. NEVER. You'll see me walking on water before that. Got that? No? NEVER. I'd rather become a 91 basher than use FireFox (anyone who truely knows my opinions knows that's not likely).

:lol: Some people

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Re: Open Office comment by WSXFan

Whilst I sort of understand what you're saying, I don't use Open Office because I am a "geek," but simply because I can't afford MS Office. If I had a choice, I'd certaintly choose MS Office, as it has more features and everything is where I know it to be.

I did a presentation in my Politics class a few months ago and owing to the lack of MS Office, had to use Open Office's Presentation feature, which seemed to automatically add rather embarassing sound effects which I didn't know about, as my laptop is permenantly on mute, but the projector used has speakers. :|.

Guinness

Established Member
WSXFan said:
GROW UP, F**K OFF.

Take a couple of minutes and chill. Firefox is not a bad thing nor is IE it's all down to personal preference. I use Firefox because it has useful features and interface that I want that IE didn't provide such as Tabbing (v6.1) and "Snap-on" Extensions.

If you don't like Firefox don't use it and ignore posts and forget about it. Posting stuff like that won't get you anywhere fast and you probably get a load of replies arguing with you and then you may get more round up over a couple browsers.

Just my advice (Don't flame me!!) ;) :)

Nick W

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Open office is complete rubbish, mucks up GCSE coursework stuff!

Ok personally I don't used Open Office, prefering iWork, but explain how it mucks up coursework. Maybe you actually got a virus that changes the wording of coursework?

devon_metro

Established Member
No the formulas are completly different and the conversion process is completly un-usable. Luckily i have office- which IMO is great!

AlexS

Established Member
It's not the FireFox program that annoys me, it's largely the users, who running around talking about converting people etc etc, fancy becoming a Jehova's Witness for a while chaps?

Nick W

Established Member
:whax:
dvn1357 said:
No the formulas are completly different and the conversion process is completly un-usable. Luckily i have office- which IMO is great!

Conversion is the key word. Maybe if MS publicised their file format structures more there wouldn't be this problem.

Could you not have exported from excel into an XML or similar unproprietary file format?

devon_metro

Established Member
Not really worth it, that's only when i use Linux at school, although we have XP with office so might as well use that!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Chaz said:
Take a couple of minutes and chill. Firefox is not a bad thing nor is IE it's all down to personal preference. I use Firefox because it has useful features and interface that I want that IE didn't provide such as Tabbing (v6.1) and "Snap-on" Extensions.

If you don't like Firefox don't use it and ignore posts and forget about it. Posting stuff like that won't get you anywhere fast and you probably get a load of replies arguing with you and then you may get more round up over a couple browsers.

Just my advice (Don't flame me!!) ;) :)

Phew, my flame-resistant cave withstood the pressure.

First, I'll address the posts discussing what I said. Don't worry, I'm not going to argue/flame!

TC: I haven't seen anything to convince me FireFox is the lesser of several evils. When I DO, I might consider using it. Until IE screws up royally here (never done so yet!), I'll continue using it. I might actually try FireFox one day, but that probably won't be until HST2 is here and in full service with GNER...Hopefully this section of my post meets with non-flammatory regulations.

Chaz, don't worry, I'm not going to flame you. Indeed, I did receive a few posts complaining (most of these went to Seth, who PM'd me about it) about what I said. What's been said has been said, people have read it. That I can't change, but I will make an apologetic post in just a minute.

AlexS, I guess that's what I really wanted to say yesterday re: your thought on the Jehovah Witness-style spreading of FireFox. I'll be happy to discuss this elsewhere, privately, but not here, if only for the fact I'm on a time-limited connection today.

Actually, I'll do that apologetic post now:

RailUK members, I apologise for my comments re: FireFox and <18s on the 22nd of June 2006. They were posted without considering the implications or feelings of the <18s. You can be assured there will not be a repeat of such instances from this end again.

Feel free to discuss this with me via PM if you wish, this is the last you'll hear from me publically about the topic.

Regards,
WSXFan

rmt

I find FireFox a whole lot easier to use than IE. For starters, FF at least renders the <div> tables a whole lot better than IE, and is easier to use. At the end of the day, its personal choice.

Dave A

FF for me is good because of tabbed browsing and the ad-block add-on. It works great for those things, but for everything else, its not as great.

I find it crashes quite a bit, and is rather slow compared to IE. It also seems to have trouble with Flash, Java and complicated scripts.

However, it is a better browser because it displays websites properly. If a website doesn't look good in it, it means the site is of poor quality, not the browser!

If IE had tabs, a decent ad-block and could display websites properly, I'd use that. But until that happens, its Firefox :)

Chris

Tom said:
May I remind you that many, many, many commercial environments have introduced Firefox into their environment as it is actually proven to be more secure and it is promoted in various magazines, whether you say the writers of those are under 18 ... that is another story. ComputerACT!VE, Personal Computer World, and other mags all promote Firefox, and I have seen some railway magazines promoting Firefox too. Tom
That is why I use FF, also see at the pic below, have a look at the buttons at the top for IE, these are really useful extensions that you can use if a page does not render properly in FF. I like to internet shop and bank so if a browser is recommended that is not a part of a multinational that is constantly being under attack from hackers then thats what I'll do. There is also an extension to stop Java scripts, where you can choose which scripts to allow, thus making it more secure. You are in control, not what your OS dictates.

Another plus is being able to choose a theme. I chose one that was very similar to IE so my wife wouldn't complain, and I even converted my 50+ mother as she wanted safe shopping, but was only well versed in IE.

By the way I'm well over 18 WSXfan, married with one kid and another on the way, so not exactly a geeky under 18!:tongue1:

Tom B

Established Member
dvn1357 said:

That's not a problem with OpenOffice, it's with MS Office. The reason the conversion process is iffy is because MS Office don't adhere to standards. Remember - these standards that EVERY other word processors use, but MS don't. Hence the problem. If they used the standard formats everyone else used, it would be OK.

Sprog

Established Member
Jules...i dont see what your problem is matey.

FF is an top browser..ive introduced literally 20+ 'norms' to it, including my best mate craig yesterday after we formatted and re-installed his OS on his home Desktop. He couldnt beleive how great it was with the tabbed browsing and the speed it opens pages up.

I dont think i could ever go back to using IE 'full time', itd drive me insane.

I just wish bloody MSN wouldnt use IE, despite the defult browser on my PC being FF.

Ive also installed an extension to FF, availiable off their site, called 'IE TAB', which basically (i think) allows me to open 'IE only' pages in Firefox.

EDIT: Just missed Chris's post on the 'IE Tab' mentioned above. This is the same feature as i have installed on my browser.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sprog said:
Jules...i dont see what your problem is matey.

FF is an top browser..ive introduced literally 20+ 'norms' to it, including my best mate craig yesterday after we formatted and re-installed his OS on his home Desktop. He couldnt beleive how great it was with the tabbed browsing and the speed it opens pages up.

I just wish bloody MSN wouldnt use IE, despite the defult browser on my PC being FF.

Ive also installed an extension to FF, availiable off their site, called 'IE TAB', which basically (i think) allows me to open 'IE only' pages in Firefox.

EDIT: Just missed Chris's post on the 'IE Tab' mentioned above. This is the same feature as i have installed on my browser.

I've withdrawn my opinion and put it in the WNXX pool of my brain. Currently waiting for the cutters to become free from working on other pieces of work in that same pool to destroy it...
[EDIT]
Chris said:
By the way I'm well over 18 WSXfan, married with one kid and another on the way, so not exactly a geeky under 18!:tongue1:

I'll just add that I did say 'Generally'. There are exceptions...lol.

When I get my PC working properly, I'll give FireFox a 7-day trial, no more. Upon the end of that, I'll summarise how good it is, then I'll decided where to go from there with it. I'm freeing up a path for it on an express working to the uninstall feature though, just to be ready.

devon_metro

Established Member
Sprog said:

Yer that bugs me about MSN, and i just yesterday installed the IE tab, thats the problem with IE. It's just the plain browser. There are no add-ons which is whats so great anout ff. For example i hate the default firefox theme but love the mac osx one-so i have it!

The Gricer

I would just like to add a couple of points to this "argument".

Firstly in the example Tom gave a couple of pages back he shows the South West Trains website looking a bit awry in IE. He was using IE7 which is of course still in beta and therefore comes with a list of known bugs that have yet to be sorted. If you use beta software you accept that there may well be problems with it. In fact the reason beta software is issued is so that users can report bugs and so help iron them out before the "final" release.

Secondly, quite a bit has been said about browsers not being W3C compliant. Well, this applies to websites as well as to browsers and the South West Trains home page he uses as an example is NOT compliant. Put it through the W3C Validator and you'll find that although the doctype declaration says it is 'XHTML1 Transitional' it actually contains 28 errors.

I have been using IE7 for some time now and find myself using it quite a lot more than Firefox. I actually prefer Microsoft's implementation of tabbed browsing amongst other things. Just my opinion I know but plenty of people have given theirs so......................!

Frank

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Interesting to hear your opinion there matey! Should have known there was beta software being used in those examples!

Thanks for trialling IE7 lads, when it does come out I'll know some interesting, non-geeky people have tested it!

morris

If any people are stupid enough to be using AOL, then it's their problem if they don't get important emails... get a proper ISP or email account and you'll be fine.

What is wrong with AOL? We never have any trouble here at the shop.

T

Tom

AOL have general reputation of not following everyone else when it comes to internet rules/regs, and come up with absurd ideas.

tedted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
May I remind you that many, many, many commercial environments have introduced Firefox into their environment as it is actually proven to be more secure and it is promoted in various magazines, whether you say the writers of those are under 18 ... that is another story. ComputerACT!VE, Personal Computer World, and other mags all promote Firefox, and I have seen some railway magazines promoting Firefox too. Tom

Another secure browser that I'm impressed with is Netscape, which is also very secure, and you have the option to block unwanted pop-ups, etc. For more information, click here.

H

HR2

HR2 is based on other peoples contributed bits an pieces over many years so is basically ....erm! :tard:

T

Tom

Just because you've never had a problem on a consumer level, we have problems on a provider level when trying to send emails along - the issues that AOL give us are numerous and it is very difficult to do anything when it comes to AOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.