• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AP tickets and Northern TVMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
Today the TVM at Saltaire was OOU,something that happens pretty often. Recently Northern TVMs were added to the list of available TOD locations, something on the face of it a good thing because prior to that there were only 3 stations in WY with that facility.

What would be legal or contractual situation for someone who had chosen to collect from the Saltaire TVM this morning? The D in TOD stands for 'departure' so the usual 'everyone's a fare dodger except me and my colleagues in the railway' suspects on here can't say that it's the passenger's fault for not taking precautions. Having no ticket they would be liable for a full fare replacement, which I suppose the vending TOC would have to pay for, even though it's Northern's fault. Assuming the hapless passenger had the means to pay, which they quite possibly wouldn't have thinking they would get their ticket from the TVM.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Today the TVM at Saltaire was OOU,something that happens pretty often. Recently Northern TVMs were added to the list of available TOD locations, something on the face of it a good thing because prior to that there were only 3 stations in WY with that facility.

What would be legal or contractual situation for someone who had chosen to collect from the Saltaire TVM this morning? The D in TOD stands for 'departure' so the usual 'everyone's a fare dodger except me and my colleagues in the railway' suspects on here can't say that it's the passenger's fault for not taking precautions. Having no ticket they would be liable for a full fare replacement, which I suppose the vending TOC would have to pay for, even though it's Northern's fault. Assuming the hapless passenger had the means to pay, which they quite possibly wouldn't have thinking they would get their ticket from the TVM.

If the TVM is out of use and there is no ticket office, then it's best to speak to the guard when the train arrives. As long as you have your ticket reference/reservation number and you can tell the guard what outlet you purchased it from, the guard if they want can ring to confirm what ticket/trains your booking is for. I doubt very much you would be refused to travel.

Later on in the journey, if you are at a station with ticket issuing facilities then you can collect your ticket from there.

In situations like this, common sense and discretion comes into play. If the passenger can show me a copy of the email confirmation detailing the ticket type/reservations etc then I'll happily accept that.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As GadgetMan says, you should board the train and have a word with the guard as soon as possible. Where you're connecting at a nearby station I'd think most guards would be happy to accept some evidence of a booking, or at worst it would be a matter of buying a ticket to the interchange point.

Southern say:
What happens if the ticket office is closed and the self service ticket vending machine is out of order?
You will have to purchase a ticket from the conductor on the train to take you to your next interchange station or destination. Bring your TOD reference number and credit/debit card to the ticket office to collect your tickets and hand in the ticket(s) purchased for a refund.

In reality I would expect most guards would accept a printout or similar. I would also expect that if you were sold a ticket you would have a job getting it refunded.

Bear in mind that this only applies to machines being out of order; there is no acceptable maximum time to be queueing for a ticket machine so make sure you arrive "in plenty of time" to collect your tickets. This could be two minutes or two hours depending on how busy the station is.

4SRKT

Established Member
Bear in mind that this only applies to machines being out of order; there is no acceptable maximum time to be queueing for a ticket machine so make sure you arrive "in plenty of time" to collect your tickets. This could be two minutes or two hours depending on how busy the station is.

Or two days at Saltaire waiting for the TVM repair man to turn up AGAIN ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.