• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Appalling Overcrowding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
A "normal" Sunday sees 3tph between Manchester Piccadilly and Leeds. The engineering work Sundays when trains are diverted via the Calder Valley sees 2tph between Manchester and Leeds - with only 1 of these coming from Piccadilly, the other 1 running from Liverpool via Manchester Victoria.

I do not have full details of all unit diagrams, but there are a significant number of 6 car diagrams from Piccadilly towards Leeds on Sundays at the moment - I saw quite a few of them the other week. There are, by default, quite a few 6 cars heading from Leeds towards Manchester. It is not possible to run 9 car sets due to the fact that the trains change ends at Salford Crescent, and there is insufficient space between the signals and junctions to allow this to happen. Also some diagrams run via Huddersfield, and again, there is insufficient space to reverse a 9 car set there.

A combination of some 6 car running on some services (which are busy - I have seen numerous 6 car sets full and standing in recent Sundays) and the extended journey times as a result of the diversions, means that I suspect there will not be any spare stock to strengthen any more trains.

Remember also that the North Route is not the whole network - engineering works on other routes may mean some sets are trapped elsewhere, and more sets may be required to maintain amended services on other routes too.

The TPE network is at capacity passenger wise, especially over weekends, and there simply isn't any room for any more passengers with the current levels of rolling stock. Until such time as the DfT do something about it the nothing will change. The introduction of 350's to Scottish services in 2 years time will make a slight difference, but not enough to be that noticeable I feel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
the other 1 running from Liverpool via Manchester Victoria.
That explains it, I'd forgotten about the Liverpool services going via Chat Moss, probably the fastest services of the week between Livepool and Manchester.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
That explains it, I'd forgotten about the Liverpool services going via Chat Moss, probably the fastest services of the week between Livepool and Manchester.

Not really. They get stuck following behind the stopper for part of the journey and dawdle along incredibly slowly. They are however the fastest between Leeds and Manchester, with most of them running non-stop Leeds to Man Vic.

Welshman

Established Member
They are however the fastest between Leeds and Manchester, with most of them running non-stop Leeds to Man Vic.

Yes, I'd noticed that too.

Interesting, that despite all the work and money spent on remodelling the exLNWR line via Huddersfield, those non-stop trains currently diverted on Sundays via the ex L&Y Calder Valley line are scheduled 54 minutes for the 50.75 mile-journey, whereas the fastest scheduled via Huddersfield [42.75 miles] is 56 minutes!

Which goes to show how congested the approaches to Manchester Piccadilly are, and the recovery time inserted in the current schedules. Indeed, one Sunday in early March, I caught the 1759 TPE [2-car 170] from Leeds, and stepped-off in platform 1 at Manchester Piccadilly at 1849!! Fifty minutes with one stop at Huddersfield, but a totally unchecked journey through Stalybridge and Ardwick.

So I suppose there is scope for a shortening of the journey time with the coming electrification and the diversion into Manchester Victoria from Stalybridge.

Last edited:

cheesepig

It is not the respective faults of Transpennine Express and CrossCountry, they don't have enough stock.

Well yes it is their fault. I was on that bad joke of a service from Chester to Hartlepool on Sunday. Note to self: East-West, car is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.