• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apple Pay and contactless card

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamskiodp

Hi folks,

I hope all are safe and well.

Have done a quick search and can’t find a definitive answer.

I have an iPhone which is registered to my contactless debit card. Can I use my phone to pay for a TFL journey and my son use my contactless card to pay for the same journey (at the same time)? I think that the phone doesn’t use the actual debit card number so wondered if it would show as two separate transactions.

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

096igb

Hi folks,

I hope all are safe and well.

Have done a quick search and can’t find a definitive answer.

I have an iPhone which is registered to my contactless debit card. Can I use my phone to pay for a TFL journey and my son use my contactless card to pay for the same journey (at the same time)? I think that the phone doesn’t use the actual debit card number so wondered if it would show as two separate transactions.

TIA
I assume that your Debit card is registered in Apple Pay.
If you use Apple Pay on your phone and your son uses that actual physical card as contactless, then it should be OK. The digital card number in Apple Pay is different to the physical card.

But remember, you must use the same Apple Pay card to tap on at start of journey and tap off at the end of the journey to avoid default fares.

thejuggler

Apple Pay is an intermediary with a different account number so no problem using the phone and also the card.

Its similar to a credit card account with two cardholders. One account to a single person, but two different card numbers. My wife and I have had no problems using both cards linked to a single account for TFL trips.

James H

I think the way this works with TfL has changed in the past couple of years - I wouldn't rely on two people being able to travel on the same account in this way.

87 027

For me the physical card and Apple Pay show up as separate 'cards' in the TfL app but both have the same number which is that of my physical card. I was somewhat surprised that the Apple Pay 'card' didn't use the separate tokenised number normally used for retail transactions. I seem to recall a thread on here a while back stating this is specific to TfL. As a consequence I have not experimented with using both accounts on the same day simultaneously.

adamskiodp

Thanks all. I ended up getting a Child Travelcard for my son to be safe. Shame really as it cost more than the two single journeys :|

The £15 cost of an 11-15 ZIP card is not worth it for the one or two times a year we go to London o_O

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The £15 cost of an 11-15 ZIP card is not worth it for the one or two times a year we go to London o_O
Depends on the age of the child, but if bought when just 11 it works out at £3/year. The off-peak daily cap is £1.55 for a zip card holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.