Apple Pay Express Mode on TfL services

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by James H, 1 Dec 2019 at 20:26.

1. James H

James H Member

Apple Pay users can now tap in and out on TfL services without unlocking their phone
    https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-pay/transport/

Although it's not spelt out, the implication is that this only works at barriers/gatelines controlled by TfL themselves - could be some confusion at certain interchange stations if so.

(I should add that as an Apple Pay user I received an email from Apple about this this evening, saying that Express Mode on TfL launched today.)

Last edited: 1 Dec 2019 at 20:41
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. [.n]

[.n] Member

I'm sure its been like that for ages on Samsung Pay - its actually a feature I have turned off so as to not accidentally pay on the Tube by mistake!

4. James H

James H Member

5. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Google Pay, unlike Apple Pay, doesn't require verification for amounts under whatever-the-contactless-limit-is-now and never has done. I think that's because many Android phones only have PIN code unlocking (and Android face-unlock is not secure enough as it can be fooled with a photograph of the owner) and having to do that while striding up to a ticket barrier is a faff. Whereas all even vaguely recent iDevices have a fingerprint reader.

6. 35B

35B Member

Really? I thought Apple had removed fingerprint locks on recent phones - one of the reasons I’m delaying an upgrade.

7. Bletchleyite

Sorry, yes they have, however the face unlock operates in 3D and can't, unlike most Android phones, be fooled using a photograph, and is therefore considered secure enough for payment. Only a celebrity with a waxwork model in Tussaud's would be vulnerable! :D

8. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

So can you put your Oyster card into Apple Wallet? And would auto top-up still work?

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019 at 10:39
  9. James H

James H Member

No you can’t use Oyster with Apple wallet.

this is for contactless PAYG

10. TFN

TFN Member

I've had this on Google Pay for ages. I accidentally got charge an incomplete journey on my phone while I was doing RPI work. Emailing TfL for my money back was interesting indeed.

Nice to see that Apple users can do this too, so they can stop faffing about at the barriers and go through! The FaceID method is very slow and clunky as you basically have to bring the phone up to your face.

11. James H

James H Member

It's not quite the same as Google Pay

On Google Pay you can tap without authenticating at any contactless reader, so long as the screen is on, and the default card is charged.

This is a discrete mode for transport use, and also allows you to set a different credit/debit card to pay for your travel, with your usual default card being used for general purchases at shops etc.

(Face ID doesn't need your phone to be held up to your face. I find it works fine with the phone nearly flat.)

12. Skie

Skie Member

This apple method also works even when your phones battery is dead (for up to 5 hours after it ran out of juice)

13. James H

James H Member

Only on the newest models though.

14. Bletchleyite

On and unlocked, at least for purchases over £30. And not unlocked using Android face unlock which isn't secure enough as a photo can unlock it.

15. James H

James H Member

Lower value purchases on Google Pay don’t need the phone to be unlocked, just with the screen on.

16. [.n]

[.n] Member

Just to clarify in my post I was talking about Samsung Pay and how that worked as well (its NOT Google Pay). AFAIK, therefore the phone does not need to have the screen on or be unlocked to use.

17. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

You actually had to unlock the phone!? Wow.

18. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

No you didn’t. You had to authenticate the payment by either scanning your fingerprint or face depending on what model you have (or put your Pin/Passcode if this didn’t work).

The wallet automatically opens when you put it over a contactless reader or double tap the home/unlock button depending on the model and your own settings.