• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Application for a train licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE7.62

hi everyone, I'm new to this and was just looking for a bit of guidance, I am thinking about a career change to a train driver, I've been searching for hours to find any sort of application for for a license or anything to get the ball rolling, I though it was like the provisional car licence system, as in you applied and then done the relevant training etc, I cant find anything about how to get started!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Cheers Mike

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

akasutts

Hi Mike,

You would have to join as a trainee driver. To get to that point though is a challenge in itself due to the amount of applications that each company will receive.
To start with it’s best to set up job alerts for the train/freight operating companies (Referred to as TOC or FOC) that are within an hours drive of your home address. Each company will recruit at different points but from what I have witnessed they tend to open for applications once per year.
Once a company advertises for trainee train drivers get your application in as soon as you can. By that I mean don’t wait until the day of the deadline as companies usually take the role down early due to the amount of applications that they receive.
In terms of the process that you will go through to get offered a role of trainee driver, it will vary by TOC/FOC.
An example could be (be mindful that the process/order for each company may vary):
1-Submit your application when the role is advertised. You will have to demonstrate in this that you have the skills for the role by providing specific examples from previous life/work experiences. An example question may be...give an example of when you have dealt with an emergency.
2-Complete a SJT (situational judgment test). This is around 20 multiple choice questions to see how you would act in certain situations.
3-Papersift. This may be the first time that your application is physically viewed by a member of the company
4-Assessment day 1. This is a set of paper based tests such as the group Bourdon test aka the dots test. If you look around this forum you will find plenty of detail about these tests and what they entail.
5-Assessment day 2. Computer based tests at the OPC. A separate company based in Watford. Again you will find details of these tests on this forum. If you pass these tests on the same day you would complete an MMI (multi modular interview). This is designed to see if you have the temperament to succeed In the role amongst other things.
6-DMI (driver manager interview). This would be an interview with a manager from the TOC/FOC that you applied for.
7-Medical.
8-Job offer.
You would then start with the TOC/FOC and begin a lengthy training programme. During this you would take a series of exams and then “pass out” as a qualified driver if you successfully complete the training programme.
The process is very competitive and can take a fair amount of time (possibly a few years) to complete. You have to pass each stage to move onto the next. To start with though have a more in depth look around this forum and you will find all of the info that you’re looking for.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

You would have to join as a trainee driver. To get to that point though is a challenge in itself due to the amount of applications that each company will receive.
To start with it’s best to set up job alerts for the train/freight operating companies (Referred to as TOC or FOC) that are within an hours drive of your home address. Each company will recruit at different points but from what I have witnessed they tend to open for applications once per year.
Once a company advertises for trainee train drivers get your application in as soon as you can. By that I mean don’t wait until the day of the deadline as companies usually take the role down early due to the amount of applications that they receive.
In terms of the process that you will go through to get offered a role of trainee driver, it will vary by TOC/FOC.
An example could be (be mindful that the process/order for each company may vary):
1-Submit your application when the role is advertised. You will have to demonstrate in this that you have the skills for the role by providing specific examples from previous life/work experiences. An example question may be...give an example of when you have dealt with an emergency.
2-Complete a SJT (situational judgment test). This is around 20 multiple choice questions to see how you would act in certain situations.
3-Papersift. This may be the first time that your application is physically viewed by a member of the company
4-Assessment day 1. This is a set of paper based tests such as the group Bourdon test aka the dots test. If you look around this forum you will find plenty of detail about these tests and what they entail.
5-Assessment day 2. Computer based tests at the OPC. A separate company based in Watford. Again you will find details of these tests on this forum. If you pass these tests on the same day you would complete an MMI (multi modular interview). This is designed to see if you have the temperament to succeed In the role amongst other things.
6-DMI (driver manager interview). This would be an interview with a manager from the TOC/FOC that you applied for.
7-Medical.
8-Job offer.
You would then start with the TOC/FOC and begin a lengthy training programme. During this you would take a series of exams and then “pass out” as a qualified driver if you successfully complete the training programme.
The process is very competitive and can take a fair amount of time (possibly a few years) to complete. You have to pass each stage to move onto the next. To start with though have a more in depth look around this forum and you will find all of the info that you’re looking for.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Brilliant reply

LCC106

Established Member
The recruitment process can take as little as 2 months but that depends on being in the right place at the right time.

RBSN

hi everyone, I'm new to this and was just looking for a bit of guidance, I am thinking about a career change to a train driver, I've been searching for hours to find any sort of application for for a license or anything to get the ball rolling, I though it was like the provisional car licence system, as in you applied and then done the relevant training etc, I cant find anything about how to get started!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Cheers Mike

Sometimes you have to wonder if posts like these are genuine!

Skoodle

During training, the TOC you are training with will apply to the ORR for one on your behalf.

theironroad

Established Member
Brilliant reply

+1

should be a sticky post, pretty much sums up the process. Only slight thing, I'm not sure tocs only advertise once a year, it's far more random than that.

Sometimes you have to wonder if posts like these are genuine!

Why?

Some people can easily compare getting a train driving licence to a car licence. it's a bit of plastic and a record.

To get a car full car licence you do apply for a provisional, then do the training before exams which leads to a full licence.

Whereas the relatively new train driving licence (there is no provisional equivalent) is only awarded once all the training and exams are done and then qualified.

RBSN

Less than 5 seconds on Google typing in "Train Driver licence"......

+1

should be a sticky post, pretty much sums up the process. Only slight thing, I'm not sure tocs only advertise once a year, it's far more random than that.

Why?

Some people can easily compare getting a train driving licence to a car licence. it's a bit of plastic and a record.

To get a car full car licence you do apply for a provisional, then do the training before exams which leads to a full licence.

Whereas the relatively new train driving licence (there is no provisional equivalent) is only awarded once all the training and exams are done and then qualified.

I was referring to taking a few minutes to Google search. It’s all there! The time it takes to register on this forum the OP could of had the answers

4F89

+1

Why?

Well, technically its created while you are on your driving hours, otherwise you cant even practise. Mine is dated May, but I didn't pass out till October.

theironroad

Established Member
Well, technically its created while you are on your driving hours, otherwise you cant even practise. Mine is dated May, but I didn't pass out till October.

Trainee drivers do not require a licence in their own right to drive when under instruction.

The trainee's instructor, trainer or assessor must hold a licence and a accompanying certificate for the relevant traction and routes.

4F89

Trainee drivers do not require a licence in their own right to drive when under instruction.

The trainee's instructor, trainer or assessor must hold a licence and a accompanying certificate for the relevant traction and routes.
Yes, indeed. I'm talking about the fact that it exists prior to passing out.

Dynamonic

Yes, indeed. I'm talking about the fact that it exists prior to passing out.

That‘s true. I had my photo taken for mine during the classroom training, and was told the licence had arrived while I was driving with a mentor. It was sat waiting for me with my Driver Manager for when I passed-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.