• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for a guard job with South Western Railway and I’m concerned about the future job security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass1489

I’m about to attend an assessment for a Guard vacancy with South Western Railway and I’m concerned about the future job security that this vacancy offers. Can anyone offer their opinion on whether it’d be worth me starting a new career as a guard during these unstable times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bellbell

People would probably need more info to think about offering an opinion. How old are you? Are you single/married? Do you have dependents? What's your current role, what does it pay and how secure is it? Do you have any interest or aspirations to investigate other railway careers in the future?

theironroad

Established Member
I'd say go for it. Taking the assessments will be good practice for other companies.

Long term is shaky but for the next couple of years should be ok at all depots, after that the suburban depots will be most a risk but you'll have experience and ir will help in other roles.

Bourlea

I think you should go for it, I left a job that I was in for 10+ years, took a pay cut (while training) and am the sole earner and married with two children.
Yes the future for non commercial guards on the suburban depots isn't long term but SWR are still recruiting and after six months you can apply for any other position as an internal candidate (unless this has changed from SWT days).
I am now a driver for another company and believe that I wouldn't have got that chance without being a SWT guard.
Good Luck

Ibra

Went to the assessment centre for this role last week failed at the concentration test . There was about 20 people only 2 people progressed

Bourlea

Ibra, don't give up if it is what you really want to do, you can ring up HR after 6 months and ask to retake the test.

Ibra

Ibra, don't give up if it is what you really want to do, you can ring up HR after 6 months and ask to retake the test.
Thanks man, been rejected too many times in the railway industry will try looking elsewhere for a different career!

The One

At the very worse if they did make all trains DOO you just move to a different position within the company.I be shocked if you actually got made redundant.

Established Member
I’m about to attend an assessment for a Guard vacancy with South Western Railway and I’m concerned about the future job security that this vacancy offers. Can anyone offer their opinion on whether it’d be worth me starting a new career as a guard during these unstable times.

Why be concerned about it given its not that easy to get through the recruitment process anyway wait see if you actually get offered a job, there aren't that many jobs out there that are nessesarly a job for life anyway these days, your also probably lucky to be living in the south unlike myself who lives in the north and finding jobs can be a whole lot harder.

387star

On Moderation
Guards are remaining on class 450/444/442/158/159 routes due to no cameras fitted

Only metro routes may be affected

Status
Not open for further replies.