Applying for Train Driver Job with Criminal Record?

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Matt45, 19 Feb 2020.

1. Matt45

Matt45 New Member

Bit embarassing to ask this but someone might be able to help.

Am very interested in applying for a trai driver job but am wondering if having a criminal record will go against me.

My conviction is just spent under thee Rehabilitation of Offenders Act so I may not even have to disclose it. I am just wondering are the criminal record checks just a regular one or are they enhanced which I think means I would have to declare it?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. king_walnut

king_walnut Member

May I ask what it's for?

Each case would probably be taken on its own merit. If you got drunk and ploughed your car into a load of pedestrians then the railway will not want you. If you committed something like a public order offence then you might well be okay.

4. JLyons

JLyons Member

If it’s spent then you don’t have to declare it, the DBS check is a basic one so as long as it’s spent nothing will show up so no need to declare

5. Matt45

Matt45 New Member

Was for GBH. I know that sounds bad but I was young and stupid.

This is what I am not so clear about if I don't have to declare it as it is spent, does it even matter?

6. Johncleesefan

Johncleesefan Member

I might be wrong but don’t application usually ask “within the last 5 years?” Or so

7. C J Snarzell

C J Snarzell Member

Morning

There are a couple of websites where you can research this, but without knowing exactly the whys and wherefores of your own conviction if the 5th anniversary of your court date has passed - you no longer need to declare it (please double check though).

If the conviction is still unspent (less than 5 years) you still have to declare it. I wouldn't let this stop you applying though as the conviction doesn't necessarily have direct consequences to the role of being a train driver. Drink driving is probably the biggest no no for becoming a train driver.

Good luck.

CJ

8. Panupreset

Panupreset Member

I once stole an iced bun from my school canteen. Didn’t stop me getting a job on the railway!

9. Matt45

Matt45 New Member

Thanks. Yeah its 5 years now from getting sentenced in court and 4 years from the end of the sentence I got.

10. Sammy2019

Sammy2019 Member

11. Slipper

Slipper Member

Check the DBS website mate, some convictions do not run
    out due to safeguarding considerations. I had a conviction for assault about 35 years ago when I was a youngster. It does not show up on a regular DBS, but does for an enhanced check. It didn't stop me joining the Army or the Fire Service, which I recently retired from. It did show up for a tutoring job I applied for last year though, and I had to explain the circumstances. They were ok with it, but I understand it will always be on my record due to it possibly being a safeguarding concern.