• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for Train Driver Job with Criminal Record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt45

Bit embarassing to ask this but someone might be able to help.

Am very interested in applying for a trai driver job but am wondering if having a criminal record will go against me.

My conviction is just spent under thee Rehabilitation of Offenders Act so I may not even have to disclose it. I am just wondering are the criminal record checks just a regular one or are they enhanced which I think means I would have to declare it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

king_walnut

May I ask what it's for?

Each case would probably be taken on its own merit. If you got drunk and ploughed your car into a load of pedestrians then the railway will not want you. If you committed something like a public order offence then you might well be okay.

JLyons

Bit embarassing to ask this but someone might be able to help.

Am very interested in applying for a trai driver job but am wondering if having a criminal record will go against me.

My conviction is just spent under thee Rehabilitation of Offenders Act so I may not even have to disclose it. I am just wondering are the criminal record checks just a regular one or are they enhanced which I think means I would have to declare it?

If it’s spent then you don’t have to declare it, the DBS check is a basic one so as long as it’s spent nothing will show up so no need to declare

Matt45

May I ask what it's for?

Each case would probably be taken on its own merit. If you got drunk and ploughed your car into a load of pedestrians then the railway will not want you. If you committed something like a public order offence then you might well be okay.

Was for GBH. I know that sounds bad but I was young and stupid.

This is what I am not so clear about if I don't have to declare it as it is spent, does it even matter?

Johncleesefan

I might be wrong but don’t application usually ask “within the last 5 years?” Or so

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Morning

There are a couple of websites where you can research this, but without knowing exactly the whys and wherefores of your own conviction if the 5th anniversary of your court date has passed - you no longer need to declare it (please double check though).

If the conviction is still unspent (less than 5 years) you still have to declare it. I wouldn't let this stop you applying though as the conviction doesn't necessarily have direct consequences to the role of being a train driver. Drink driving is probably the biggest no no for becoming a train driver.

Good luck.

CJ

Panupreset

I once stole an iced bun from my school canteen. Didn’t stop me getting a job on the railway!

Matt45

Morning

There are a couple of websites where you can research this, but without knowing exactly the whys and wherefores of your own conviction if the 5th anniversary of your court date has passed - you no longer need to declare it (please double check though).

If the conviction is still unspent (less than 5 years) you still have to declare it. I wouldn't let this stop you applying though as the conviction doesn't necessarily have direct consequences to the role of being a train driver. Drink driving is probably the biggest no no for becoming a train driver.

Good luck.

CJ

Thanks. Yeah its 5 years now from getting sentenced in court and 4 years from the end of the sentence I got.

Slipper

Check the DBS website mate, some convictions do not run
out due to safeguarding considerations. I had a conviction for assault about 35 years ago when I was a youngster. It does not show up on a regular DBS, but does for an enhanced check. It didn't stop me joining the Army or the Fire Service, which I recently retired from. It did show up for a tutoring job I applied for last year though, and I had to explain the circumstances. They were ok with it, but I understand it will always be on my record due to it possibly being a safeguarding concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.