• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice Drivers - LNER Edinburgh Waverley (05/05/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulN

LNER now advertising for Edinburgh:

Key Points​

• Salary:
    Starting salary £29,429, rising as you qualify
  • Department:
    Operations & Safety
  • Vacancy Type:
    Permanent - Full Time
  • Shift Pattern:
    Various - Training schedule will be 35 hours per week on office based. Hours will then be on a roster basis

The Role​

Please be aware that this advert will close once a certain number of completed applications have been received.
Our
Azuma launch continues full steam ahead and we're on the hunt for a new generation of Drivers to join the team at our Edinburgh depot. This is an exciting opportunity that doesn't come around very often, so if you're interested in training to become a Driver now is the time. As a highly sought-after role and one of great responsibility, it is important that we have a thorough selection process. We know this makes it a lengthy process for our candidates, so before you click that ‘apply' button, take a look at the requirements of the role and the steps that will follow, to make sure you are fully prepared. Please note, we'll be unable to progress your application if you've been unsuccessful for this position within the last 6 months.
What will you do as an Apprentice Driver?
If you're successful, it will be back to school on an intensive training programme designed to give you the foundations to become a professional Qualified Train Driver. This will take around 52 weeks to complete, so you will need to be aware that this fantastic opportunity comes with a lot of commitment
You'll
need to be committed to studying, as the first 16 weeks will involve classroom-based learning, including homework! Our expert team of trainers will be on hand to show you the ropes and ensure you are gaining all the knowledge required and will support and coach you through the course. You'll be assessed along the way as you get closer on your journey to becoming a Train Driver.
When you have completed the theory-based element and passed your assessments, you'll then be out driving a train on our network with real customers on board. No pressure! Don't worry though, you will be guided by an experienced Driver Trainer, who will teach you how to apply your learning into the practical element of driving, embedding non-technical skills into your everyday working life.
We are pleased to announce that the Driver Training will become professionalised through the awarding of a Level 3 qualification. This will allow us to further enhance our driver training by building on best practice in the sector via the Drivers Academy and reinvest apprenticeship levy funding into the training. Therefore successful candidates are likely to be offered the role as an apprenticeship opportunity.

As an Apprentice Driver you'll be involved in the following;
  • Ensuring that you work to the best of your ability during the intensive training period.
  • Studying for and passing all relevant assessments which contribute to becoming a Qualified Train Driver
  • Delivering the highest standards of operational and occupational safety at all times.
  • Preparing, driving and disposing of trains and traction units safely, ensuring the correct processes and procedures are rigorously followed.
  • Ensuring all communication is carried out in accordance with industry and LNER standards.
  • Building and maintaining productive and professional relationships with colleagues across the business.
  • Locating and rectifying where possible or reporting defective equipment safe on the train and liaising with the LNER Control team to ensure the safe working of trains.
  • Providing excellent customer service by ensuring a safe and punctual service for both customers and colleagues.

Does this sound like the opportunity for you? There are few must haves…
To be considered for our Apprentice Driver position you will need to be able to demonstrate the following:
  • Be over 20.5 years of age at time of application.
  • Live within 1 hours drive of the location you are applying for at the time of application. Successful candidates will be responsible for making their own way to the depot, even when public transport is not available.
  • That you haven't been unsuccessful at psychometric stage within the last six months with any TOC.
  • Be able to work a variety of shifts including weekends and nights.
  • Have experience of working in a responsible role following set rules and procedures.
  • Proven concentration skills and the ability to work alone for long periods of time.
  • Be resilient and able to work under challenging situations without losing focus.
  • Excellent professional communication skills appropriate in ensuring a safe environment
  • A passion for providing a high standard of service for customers.
  • Experience of being an effective team player.
  • A willingness to learn new information, apply it in practice and be open to change.
  • Be consistently punctual – vitally important in the role of Driver!
Take a look at https://thetraindriveracademy.com/ to find out more and hear some of current drivers
talk about the role and its requirements.

What to expect from the recruitment process?
Step 1. Application and Online Testing
As soon as you click on the ‘Apply' button you'll be asked to complete the application form which includes some personal details and uploading your CV. The application process will also involve some online tests. These tests are made up of behavioural and concentration tests, so we would advise that you find some time and a quiet space to complete them so that you aren't disturbed. Once you click ‘Start Now' you will need to complete that test to ensure a fair approach for all candidates.

Step 2. Video Interview
If
successful at stage 1 you'll be invited to join us for a video interview. Just as with a face to face interview we recommend that you prepare in advance and find a quiet place to do the video interview where you won't be disturbed.

Step 3. Competency Based Interview
If
successful at telephone interview, we'll invite you to attend an interview with our Driver Team Managers and a member of our People Resourcing team. Due to the current situation with Covid-19 these interviews are taking place on Microsoft Teams.

Step 4. Psychometric Testing
If successful at interview you'll be invited to attend psychometric testing which is conducted face to face. If you have already completed Driver psychometrics within the last five years, we'll simply check they are to our standard and you will skip this stage. If you have been unsuccessful within the last six months with any TOC, you'll unfortunately be unable to apply on this occasion. We anticipate that there will be further opportunities further down the line though, so watch this space.

Step 5. Medical
As always, there are strict medical standards to adhere to. Head to the RSSB website and look at RIS-3451-TOM to check you meet the standards.

Once you've checked you meet the minimum criteria, hit Apply now!
We are monitoring the ongoing situation with Covid-19, but this may result in delays to our recruitment processes. Please bear with us during this time. We will keep you updated where possible.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eebbs1912

cheers for the heads up. applied today. Have done the first two tests and will do the third later tonight,
first test was an sjt
second test was error checking an invoice type thing for errors in each corresponding box. 50 questions in 10 mins
third test is reading a passage and answering true, false or cannot tell

kmck96

Completed the three tests this afternoon and was instantly given a rejection email. Can't work out if the rejection is based on the test results or the fact that I am located 1hr 10min from the depot, according to google maps.

Eebbs1912

I've just completed the third test no email though. Passages were vague and pretty open to different interpretations. Guess that's the point of it though lol

Completed the three tests this afternoon and was instantly given a rejection email. Can't work out if the rejection is based on the test results or the fact that I am located 1hr 10min from the depot, according to google maps.
Failed due to test results. If you’re location is too far, they’ll email to say you passed but won’t take you on due to location.

LouG

Is there a number for recruitment? and has anyone heard of any interviews.

Lou

kmck96

I've just completed the third test no email though. Passages were vague and pretty open to different interpretations. Guess that's the point of it though lol
Out of interest, are you within the 1 hour commute? 3rd test is definitely the hardest, so if I have failed it will be from this one.

Eebbs1912

Out of interest, are you within the 1 hour commute? 3rd test is definitely the hardest, so if I have failed it will be from this one.
yes mate, 45-55 mins according to google maps....... if the M8 isn't gridlocked.

route101

Established Member
Is it Edinburgh Waverley or Craigentinny? I'm one hour on the dot according to google maps.

LouG

How's everyone working out travel time? Because it really depends on the time of day?

Eebbs1912

t= d/v

lol couldn't resist. Check on google maps, that's what they use. If you change it from leave now to another date/time it should give you a usual journey time range 45m-1hr etc

Last edited:

TootTootToot

Guessing it's not even worth applying if i'd be relocating right?
I applied last year. Got an email saying as I was over the hour my application would be withdrawn.

I replied and told them I’d be willing to relocate to which they advised it’s based on where you stay at point of application and I was over the hour.

not entirely fair IMO but suppose it helps them whittle down the application numbers.

dzdoris

Hi guys it says you need to be 20yrs & 5 Months at the time of application. I am 20.2 , should i not even bother?
Not trying to be disrespectful but the application form says 20 years and 5 months not 20 years and 2 months?

Padiaow

Just applied and done all the tests, but had no further emails and it's still showing as "Application Submitted" on my account, does that mean it's to the next stage if I've had no "failed" emails?

DrBanoosh

I have applied and immediately got rejected at the sjt which I don't fully understand cos I answered every question on the basis of safety. Has anyone who passed have any advice for me?

Cheers

LouG

I have applied and immediately got rejected at the sjt which I don't fully understand cos I answered every question on the basis of safety. Has anyone who passed have any advice for me?

Cheers
Sometimes it's just practice, most of the questions are the same for pretty much all the companies. Plus what you think is the safest way on paper isn't always the way they do it.

cakefiend

What sort of questions can I expect in a video interview? I’ve done one before, but it was several years ago for a very different railway job.

Emilali

What sort of questions can I expect in a video interview? I’ve done one before, but it was several years ago for a very different railway job.
All competency based questions. Give me an example of a time you’ve......

energol

Might be a stupid question but does the video interview have a person on the other end or is it just questions on a screen??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.