• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice Train Driver - Crosscountry - Multiple Locations (09/02/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuchu

Does anyone know a phone number for the HR dept. ? Thinking of asking them if there is any way around regarding relocation ...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheAnswer89

Guys be patient. Calling them will not affect your chances. Process usually is extremely long and with this positions we already have an information about potential start in May. This is insanely quickly for trainee position. Anything within firstgroup usually takes over a year.

class 9

Does anyone know a phone number for the HR dept. ? Thinking of asking them if there is any way around regarding relocation ...
I don't think the XC recruitment people have a publicly available number, it's all email. It's a small team & I think they'll be working from home.
I don't know XCs policy on relocation, but many TOCs aren't keen on it,as too many people get jobs, get trained up and then leave to move back 'home' .

Chuchu

I don't think the XC recruitment people have a publicly available number, it's all email. It's a small team & I think they'll be working from home.
I don't know XCs policy on relocation, but many TOCs aren't keen on it,as too many people get jobs, get trained up and then leave to move back 'home' .
This is one annoying thing. For me it won't be any "back home" as I have no relatives close by, so in my case I could permanently move wherever I need to ... but I guess, to avoid those going back home, they just reject everyone ...

PickleTree

This is one annoying thing. For me it won't be any "back home" as I have no relatives close by, so in my case I could permanently move wherever I need to ... but I guess, to avoid those going back home, they just reject everyone ...
When I called a number I found last week because the careers site crashed they told me the recruitment team were not answering the phone as they were working from home, they sent an email to them for me and within the hour they called me back. I have to say they were very helpful and friendly.

There’s a number further you the thread but someone’s said they’re not answering the phone and only email

Inthewest

It's also about fatigue management.
The limit for most TOCs is an hour to the booking on point.
There have been a growing number of RAIB reports where fatigue comes into it (buffer stops crash at Kings Cross springs to mind). I'm certain the EU was thinking about including commuting time as part of work time to help with a work/home balance but not sure how far that went.

The way the TOC will look at it is that there will be people who live within the hours commute of the home depot so why bother looking for someone who lives way outside of that?

But there is no reason you can't write one address (any address) on the application, then if successful get in contact with HR and say you've moved / moving / whether your file could have "a family members" address (your actual address) instead while you really move closer. Then just change your address again when you're a lot closer. Lying yes but it's not a huge one in the grand scheme of things. Many TOCs don't seem to write to you too much these days as a lot is done by email for speed.

It's also about fatigue management.
The limit for most TOCs is an hour to the booking on point.
There have been a growing number of RAIB reports where fatigue comes into it (buffer stops crash at Kings Cross springs to mind). I'm certain the EU was thinking about including commuting time as part of work time to help with a work/home balance but not sure how far that went.

The way the TOC will look at it is that there will be people who live within the hours commute of the home depot so why bother looking for someone who lives way outside of that?

But there is no reason you can't write one address (any address) on the application, then if successful get in contact with HR and say you've moved / moving / whether your file could have "a family members" address (your actual address) instead while you really move closer. Then just change your address again when you're a lot closer. Lying yes but it's not a huge one in the grand scheme of things. Many TOCs don't seem to write to you too much these days as a lot is done by email for speed.

surely as they haven’t specified it in the job description like they normally do with driver roles it’s not a deciding factor and they’re willing to accept relocation etc? Or it would imply it

Established Member
I've relocated from one end of the Uk to the other for a job with them...

But there is no reason you can't write one address (any address) on the application, then if successful get in contact with HR and say you've moved / moving / whether your file could have "a family members" address (your actual address) instead while you really move closer. Then just change your address again when you're a lot closer. Lying yes but it's not a huge one in the grand scheme of things.
That would technically be fraud. Not recommended.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I've relocated from one end of the Uk to the other for a job with them...

That would technically be fraud. Not recommended.
Indeed, lying in any way on your CV or application form can lead to summary dismissal.

TheRailMan

I applied other day and noticed people on here says it skipped “job questions” and went straight to apply now... what were these questions?? As I think I may have missed it out lol. Might have to resubmit

Davidh1998

I applied other day and noticed people on here says it skipped “job questions” and went straight to apply now... what were these questions?? As I think I may have missed it out lol. Might have to resubmit
It's happened to everyone, not sure if it was supposed to do that, but don't worry about it

JH9

I believe it does that if you say that you have applied before with anyone from DB group. There is a yes or no question asking this.
Is this confirmed? I was fairly certain I put 'no' and still skipped those questions. I think the only way to verify it is to withdraw the application to review it but I don't know if I want to take the chance

Davidh1998

I believe it does that if you say that you have applied before with anyone from DB group. There is a yes or no question asking this.
I don't recall that question, and I would have put no if it was there. Seems quite a few who have applied have had this same issue

tfin25

I've just had a confirmation email from cross country after applying for the position last week.

Davidh1998

I had that question and I've put yes, but it seems that's not the reason it was skipping a step
So you put yes and it skipped the questions as well?

Also, for those saying about not receiving confirmation of your application, I applied days ago and just got an email saying they've received my application.

Chuchu

Just received the confirmation email from them, and the status changed from application received to application in process. ;)

beeman05

Just received the confirmation email from them, and the status changed from application received to application in process. ;)
Me too!

Did your email read along the lines of they recommend you check your emails regularly for updates and they aim to be in touch in the next 2 to 4 weeks with an update on the application?

I assume we've all received the same standard email to acknowledge the application but wanted to ask.

PickleTree

Me too!

Did your email read along the lines of they recommend you check your emails regularly for updates and they aim to be in touch in the next 2 to 4 weeks with an update on the application?

I assume we've all received the same standard email to acknowledge the application but wanted to ask.
Exactly the same as this on mine, and my status has changed on the portal to application in process.

Numbnuts846

Me too!

I got that email straight away ? I wonder if the system got overworked and only just on catch up

Status
Not open for further replies.