• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice Train Driver - Crosscountry - Multiple Locations (09/02/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PickleTree

Doesn't fill you with much confidence does it haha.
Getting into the process and getting psychometric tests under your belt is worth it even if you end up in a pool or waiting for a while as you might find that you can use those results for multiple applications.

kayul

Is it bad that I feel as though I shouldn't even bother applying to this role. I am 19 (will be 20 by the time training starts and only have a Job as a Customer Service rep at a major retailer. Not really any relevant references and seeing all the people here applying I feel as though I am instantly gonna be outclassed due to my lack of further qualifications. I know that it's hard to get in but it looks damn near impossible. Good luck to everyone anyway.

Also, does anyone know if they take more than 1 apprentice?

Established Member
Is it bad that I feel as though I shouldn't even bother applying to this role. I am 19 (will be 20 by the time training starts and only have a Job as a Customer Service rep at a major retailer. Not really any relevant references and seeing all the people here applying I feel as though I am instantly gonna be outclassed due to my lack of further qualifications. I know that it's hard to get in but it looks damn near impossible. Good luck to everyone anyway.

You need to be 21 anyway.

Raikkonen7

You could apply that logic to a lot of jobs. Ultimately, if you don’t apply, you’ll never get the job. If your application is good enough and you tailor your cover letter/ CV to fit the job description, you’re in with a chance. Although, the fact you’re 19 at the time you’re considering applying could discount you anyway.

You have to be 21 to drive a train on the National Rail Network.
That’s what I thought but it says under responsibilities 20 or over.

Stigy

Established Member
As long as you’re 21 by the time you passout I believe? As you have to be at leat that age to get a licence?

Nic nic

Granted on this occasion your age may not allow you to be considered on this occasion.

For the future I wouldn't assume you may get overlooked entirely based solely on work exprience (unless you work for Derek Trotter every job should have risk assessments and method statements written for them). You could have the type of critical thinking needed for the role without having a job which has safety awareness. For example there are many activities outside of the workplace which require one to consider the risks involved in the activity taking place and an appropriate way of dealing with such scenarios is experience in my eyes depending on what these activities are.

Always think outside of the box it is not only police, military, firefighters, truck drivers and HGV drivers who are recruited for these roles. Granted they have the type of experience desired but there are many other people out there that would be able to fulfill the criteria needed.

One huge advantage you may have which others won't is that you are a blank canvas and you have not formed bad habits, yet......

Glawsrfc

Me too!

Did your email read along the lines of they recommend you check your emails regularly for updates and they aim to be in touch in the next 2 to 4 weeks with an update on the application?

I assume we've all received the same standard email to acknowledge the application but wanted to ask.
Ditto here!! Only sent it on Saturday

FastTrax

(slight divert from topic but still little bit relevant....) can someone tell me if they do a background search etc and if so at what stage? before they make the offer or before the interview etc? is it a full history and finance and criminal check. i am on all those fronts but just curious. reason i ask is i am in the process of moving the house and for sometimes my background might not show my current address (i am guess as i am not sure how long it takes for the Experien etc takes to update)...and if i apply they might think i am showing other than my real address. thanks in advance

(slight divert from topic but still little bit relevant....) can someone tell me if they do a background search etc and if so at what stage? before they make the offer or before the interview etc? is it a full history and finance and criminal check. i am on all those fronts but just curious. reason i ask is i am in the process of moving the house and for sometimes my background might not show my current address (i am guess as i am not sure how long it takes for the Experien etc takes to update)...and if i apply they might think i am showing other than my real address. thanks in advance
Depends on the company but I got a job offer dependent on a medical and a DBS check (at the end of the process).

kayul

Well I applied but it skipped over the part that said Job questions and went straight to apply where you just submit, is that a bug or did it do
that for everyone?

1614110519664.png

frenchie851

Hi,

Does anyone know when the closing date for Birmingham was?

1614111656212.png

Hi, Sorry to be a pain. The advert says the job is available in Birmingham but the location states Manchester. I wonder if they have too many applications for Brum and Bournmouth etc or is the training centre Manchester and therefore the location is stated as Manchester?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

SJN

Hi,

The application is supposed to close at midnight tonight.

Hi,

View attachment 91315

Hi, Sorry to be a pain. The advert says the job is available in Birmingham but the location states Manchester. I wonder if they have too many applications for Brum and Bournmouth etc or is the training centre Manchester and therefore the location is stated as Manchester?

Thanks all.
It said earlier in the thread, it does say Manchester but they will HR will go by your address as to which depot you are applying for.

PickleTree

Hi,

View attachment 91315

Thanks all.
All applications will say Manchester as you cannot select location. HR told me they would split by location once they have reviewed applications. I put where I was applying to on my cover letter.

Chuggintons

Well it looks like the application has now closed, good luck to everyone who applied.
I have to admit I was surprised the vacancy didn't close early, I wonder how many people applied?

jacey

Well it looks like the application has now closed, good luck to everyone who applied.
I have to admit I was surprised the vacancy didn't close early, I wonder how many people applied?
Well this thread has had 21k views :E so it gives you an idea of application numbers...

tiptoptaff

Established Member

Without sounding harsh you're unlikely to have a chance at that young an age. It says apprenticeship but it isn't really in the way we think of an apprenticeship - ie no experience or school leaver with little to no life or work experience.

It is a traditional, normal, trainee train driver role, with all the requirements for work and life experience as any other trainee role ever advertised, just badged up differently to get some funding off the government.

I cannot overstate this, because I'm sure there are scores of people who think they've a shot because it's an apprenticeship, when you still need to demonstrate all the life experience they want to become a driver.

TheAnswer89

I mean I don’t want discourage anyone, but for XC there will be loads of applications with already passed psychometrics and all that, so chances are probably even smaller than any other trainee role. XC pays the most of any TOC as far as I know, so it’s appealing for even more people.

Tyrion

I mean I don’t want discourage anyone, but for XC there will be loads of applications with already passed psychometrics and all that, so chances are probably even smaller than any other trainee role. XC pays the most of any TOC as far as I know, so it’s appealing for even more people.
Nice Try
Re the pay no they are not..
Secondly those that have passed assessments still need to get through process, you could have an assessment pass but be woeful in interview etc

Status
Not open for further replies.