• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice Train Driver Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaTrain

Hello all,

Its been a while since posting on here. A quick update is that I have left being a conductor at ATW working from Holyhead to Manchester as I moved to Manchester a few months back.

After what seems a gruelling process already, I have made it through to the next stage of the Apprentice Train Driver with Virgin Trains. I have prepared for the computerised tests as much as I can but am a little confused on the structured interview. My email said I will be assessed on as follows:

The WAFV Vigilance Exercise
The ATAVT Perception Test
The 2-Hand Co-ordination Test
The Structured Interview

I have been going over the company and different scenarios they will ask. Give a time....etc but my question is this-

Is the the structured interview the MMI? Am I correct in saying it is part of the test and a fail means I have one more shot at it?

Do I do the computer based tests in the morning and then have the structured interview or is it the other way round?

I think I am beginning to panic a little now and would love some reassurance from my fellows here.

Any help would be much appreciated. One way or another the end is in sight!:cry:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aivilo

Generally the tests will proceed any interview.

Do not worry the process is pleasant so try and relax and be yourself. Remember this is virgin so be fluffy.

I am fairly positive that the interview will not render you one more opportunity if you are unsuccessful it is only the assessments that will.

But you will pass and that's the attitude you need to go in there with.

Feel free to pm me

TheEdge

Established Member
Aivilo is wrong, the MMI (Structured Interview) is part of the psychometric tests and if you fail it it does take one of your "lives" away. You'll see when you do it that it is totally different to a normal interview.

The order is not fixed although generally it seems the MMI is the last thing you do but the other tests can be in any order. When I did them I actually did them in the same order you've posted them. I did the three tests in one sitting then there was a break and an X-factor-esque elimination then the MMI.

Go in and do you very best, they are not as hard as some people like to make out. They do allow for mistakes (especially the 2 hand test, I reckon that's impossible to do flawlessly). If you realise you have made a mistake don't dwell on it, especially on the vigilance test. On the co-ordination test if you start hitting the sides lots, stop, let go of the handles and take a few seconds to regain composure.

TeaTrain

Thanks for your input its been really helpful. I think I have done all I can for the computerised tests. Its just going over notes on Virgin and other questions others have posted in other threads. Well we will see tomorrow!

I am hoping its the computer tests in the morning and then the interviews but as you said it could be the other way round.

I can only do my best!

RBSN

Thanks for your input its been really helpful. I think I have done all I can for the computerised tests. Its just going over notes on Virgin and other questions others have posted in other threads. Well we will see tomorrow!

I am hoping its the computer tests in the morning and then the interviews but as you said it could be the other way round.

I can only do my best!

Good luck for tomorrow. A train needs a confident driver, so when you have your MMI be confident in your answers.

TeaTrain

Thanks. I am nervous but I will do my best not to let it show!

I feel prepared but you never know!

Need2

Thanks. I am nervous but I will do my best not to let it show!

I feel prepared but you never know!

You'll do fine, don't worry! :D
I think the MMI is the easiest part of the process. They give you the chance to think about it first.
You are given a sheet of paper asking you to give very brief (a couple of lines or so) outline of about 5 or 6 "give an example of when" type scenario's.
You fill out the 'answers' and wait your turn to be called in for the interview.
So you will know the questions that will be asked and you will know the answers because you have already given them the brief example. Nothing in the interview will be a surprise.

Use the STAR technique for your answers and don't panic!
Good luck.

TeaTrain

It seems an awful lot in one day also. The computer tests. then the MMI and then the DMI in the same day?

I am practising the MMI questions and writing them out as I write on here too!

Need2

It seems an awful lot in one day also. The computer tests. then the MMI and then the DMI in the same day?

I am practising the MMI questions and writing them out as I write on here too!

You wont be doing them all in one day, depends how Virgin do it!
Southeastern do assessments and mmi in one day.
If you pass assessments you then do the MMI (structured interview) afterwards, if you pass that then its the DMI at a later date.
Other TOC's can do things in different orders

Re-reading your original post I would say your day will pan out like my Southeastern example.
And has been said before, yes the MMI does form part of the '2 strikes and you're out' policy.
You can only take the assessments and MMI twice, once you pass though, you can take the DMI as many times as you get invited! :D

TeaTrain

indeed Aivilo. Will you be there tomorrow as well?

Nice to meet some others in the same position as me!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I have completed all the tests and interviews today!!

The computerised tests went very well and found them to be easy enough. I think plenty of video games made me blitz through the 2 hand co-ordination test.

However.....I believe I was not a strong enough candidate in the interviews. We were asked 5 questions in the structured interview. I felt they went well.

The Driver Manager interview was quite relaxed but for some reason I just don't think I came across as well as I would of liked.

Despite all of this I no longer have to worry about the tests for now and it was a great experience. Of the 1200 applicants 30 were taken on and tested on the 2nd round of assessments so I have to say I feel proud of my achievement regardless of the result!

Good Luck to anyone else who are in the same position!

Status
Not open for further replies.