• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Approaching cautionary signals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hincappie

I know we all have the AWS sunflower but, I've encountered loads of variations on what different drivers say/do when approaching signals at caution or danger.

Some speak out loud, some tap two fingers on the desk for double yellow, some shout 'red ahead' etc.

What's your method?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peakNed

Grumble about signallers and stopping passenger services, then stop before the red, seems to have worked well so far.

LCC106

Established Member
Knock power off, put brake in, tap desk with two or one finger and say double or single yellow. On passing single yellow, say danger red ahead. I don't always remember to do this btw. :lol:

theironroad

Established Member
Press 'SG' on the GSMR as soon as the double yellow comes into view and start grumbling about the signaller off making a brew.

:) :) :)

theironroad

Established Member
Don't use the SG button. It risks the signaller thinking it's actually the microwave that has dinged, distracting them from their paper.

Good point. Maybe I should use the yellow button instead, doesn't seem to get much use...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's what the REC button is for isn't it? Require Emergency Clearance?

Established Member
I say the signal aspect when I cancel the AWS. Then I start grumbling about signallers delaying trains that are on time to let one past that is already late.

If the AWS is for a speed restriction, I say "Speed restriction", "TSR" or "ESR".

TheEdge

Established Member
I tend to scream "Leeeeeeroy Jenkinssssss!" and pull the power handle hard to the stop!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

6Gman

Established Member
Don't use the SG button. It risks the signaller thinking it's actually the microwave that has dinged, distracting them from their paper.
There really, really should be a Like button on here.

L.M_DannyC

I know we all have the AWS sunflower but, I've encountered loads of variations on what different drivers say/do when approaching signals at caution or danger.

Some speak out loud, some tap two fingers on the desk for double yellow, some shout 'red ahead' etc.

What's your method?

I don't have a specific method of remembering myself, it just seems to stick in my head as soon as I see the yellow that it's a cautionary aspect. Aknowledge the AWS and bring my train to a stand, seems to have worked well for me the last 5 years!

Stigy

Established Member
I usually just talk to myself and knock the power off. I don’t have any out of the ordinary actions to go with it.

LCC106

Established Member
We all get used to yellow aspects being in the same places rightly or wrongly, but when you get one where you wouldn't usually it does tend to wake you up!

theironroad

Established Member

What's your method?

Probably the only thing I do is when passing a double yellow is say 'double yellow' to myself if I can't see the next signal, just to reinforce it was double not single.

Also if I pass a single yellow in 3 aspect and it eases to green on approach (and esp if it changes after I've cancelled the magnet for a yellow) then I'll say "green".

That's about it really. Don't really do anything special for a red except we have to be at 15 for magnet.

Gloster

Established Member
All you drivers, why are you so impatient? Us signallers (OK, it is many years since I was one) have important things to do and don’t want to be distracted. 15 down won’t solve itself!

LCC106

Established Member
All you drivers, why are you so impatient? Us signallers (OK, it is many years since I was one) have important things to do and don’t want to be distracted. 15 down won’t solve itself!
Feeding the cat, watering the tomatoes, watching the track circuited ballast :lol:

TheEdge

Established Member

Surely you could put down the Times crossword periodically to signal trains? Not that I'm telling you how to do your job...

Last edited:

CAF397

Like most, I shut off power (if in traction) when I see, or get near to a restrictive aspect. This depends upon whether or not the signal sections are short (shut off when I see the yellow(s), or if I'm still accelerating and I've caught something up - if I see two yellows in the distance I reduce power. If its still two yellows when I get close to the signal then I shut off. Most of this is dependent upon my route knowledge.

When I cancel the AWS I say what the aspect is Single or Two Yellows. If its a single yellow I keep reminding myself Red Ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.