Arctic Circle Train- Stockholm to Narvik

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by Iskra, 25 Dec 2016.

1. Blillpers

Blillpers Member

The Inlandsbanan has no passenger service north of Östersund except for the tourist season during the summer, so unfourtantly it isn't an option.

It has, however, daily service year between Östersund and Mora, with additional services at each end of the line.

2. Gordon

Gordon Member

Couchette is the accepted English for Couchette!

We had to borrow it from French as there has never been an equivalent in the UK (partly due to the restricted loading gauge.) Personally I always enjoyed the simplicity of couchette travel, being able to lie down with a rug for warmth but also still be in an ordinary compartment.

Thus, you will find that well travelled Europhile UK enthusiasts will fully understand what a couchette is.

3. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

Welcome to the forum JonasB

Thank you everyone for the information, particularly Jonas B, Blillpers and Gronigen.

I will post an update when I have booked my tickets :)

4. JonasB

JonasB Member

Thank you!

One thing that struck me is that no one has mentioned a stop in Gävle and a visit to the railway museum, if you have the time, I can really recommend it. It is a great museum well worth a visit.

5. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Iskra, I hope you're ready to do a massive trip report for this one as I'm already looking forward to the read!

I'm following this thread keenly as I really want to do this trip myself. Seeing the Northern Lights would just be amazing, and the trip itself well worth doing.

What occurs to me that I don't remember seeing in your plan was the option of jumping on a plane back down from Narvik. I've not looked into the public transport connections mind for that.

6. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

It would be rude not to do a trip report Tech ;)

I've just taken a look at flights and they could work out cheaper and less risky in terms of time and connections, but it would remove some of the fun of the trip for me. However, what does look like a better option is doing the circular route from Norway heading back into Sweden to Sundsvall and then flying to Stockholm Arlanda airport from there. Good idea and thanks for the suggestion.

7. Techniquest

Oh I only meant fly there or back, not both ways which would have taken away the fun. Personally the way I would do things would be to fly over to Sweden, no doubt with Ryanair into Vasteras (then bus into town and be in a good position to jump straight onto SJ metals) then SJ either to Stockholm itself first (the EMUs they use on that line are actually quite decent) then head to Narvik or SJ all the way north via some weird choice of route. From there, do the exploration stuff then head to the airport and fly back south.

Of course I haven't actually researched any of this, and it would 99% certainly involve flying with Norwegian to/from Narvik. Yes it's 737-800s but it's *that* airline. Would I swallow my pride just to make the trip work? Well, one day, when I do the trip, you'll all know...;)

More importantly, I need to focus on organising my stuff for Tech's Big Bang 2017 this weekend, and to heavily research my moves for January's other big bash. I still haven't decided on my hashtag for that one actually...

8. 306024

306024 Established Member

Start by researching Narvik Airport, and then come up with plan B ;)

Edit: Oops, neither did I. From memory the only flights were by Wilderoe to Bodo. Norwegian do now indeed fly from Oslo to Narvik.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2017
  9. Techniquest

Got to admit, I keep putting Narvik where Bodo is on the mental image of my rail atlas :lol: I knew Norwegian flew to Bodo as I had looked that up some months ago, but couldn't be sure on Narvik.

See now when I got into TPP Mode this badly last night, thanks to Kite159 and others, I ended up booking a Eurostar trip to Brussels, thankfully I can't do that with a trip to Narvik tonight! :lol:

10. JonasB

JonasB Member

Starting in April 2017, there will be five airlines flying between Arlanda and London (SAS and BA to Heathrow, Norwegian to Gatwick, Easyjet and Monarch to Luton), so there should be no need to fly to Västerås or Skavsta.

11. Techniquest

Excellent, worth bearing that in mind. Monarch is a required airline, and Luton a required airport. Hmm, that may sway my research...

Thanks for the heads up!

12. Blillpers

Blillpers Member

Not really any point in flying Sundsvall - Arlanda (I didn't even know there were still such flights) as it's just over 3 hours on the train, and the Arlanda station is directly beneath the terminals.

If you do the circular trip through Norway, you'll get plenty of scenery. I've never done the Nordland line Bodö - Trondheim, but all I've heard is that it's very scenic. As a big plus, it's diesel operated by Di4 class locos. Their sound is outstanding... ;)

Going back from Trondheim to Sundsvall should be straightforward, you'll be on an NSB DMU from Trondheim to the border station in Storlien and then on a Swedish EMU. You could also transfer to a Stockholm bound long distance service in Östersund or Ånge and go directly to Arlanda from there. You will be making a shortcut between Ånge and Gävle, bypassing Sundsvall entirely. I personally find this line more interesting and more scenic. Some of the services are also loco hauled.

This map could be useful: http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting...eninsulas-network/scandinavian-peninsulas.gif

The Norrland sleepers will be using the new coast line between Sundsvall and Umeå, the classic main line inland sadly has no more passenger service. It's outstanding scenery wise.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2017
  13. JonasB

JonasB Member

I agree that flying from Sundsvall to Stockholm on the return trip might mot be the best idea, door to door it's not that much faster than the train. And since there is no public transport to the airport you will either have to walk the last kilometre from the closest bus stop, or take a taxi which might be a bit expensive.

If time is an issue and you plan to end your round trip in the area I suggest you fly back to Stockholm from Östersund or Trondheim instead (both airports are easily reached with public transport), depending on how important the Trondheim-Östersund line is for you. Trondheim Airport (Værnes) is very close to Hell, so if you have some time while waiting for your flight you can spend it at Hell railway station.

14. oscarhoney

oscarhoney New Member

look forward to reading your post on your journey. I am currently researching for just such a trip, followed by boat trip to Bergen and flam railway journey to Oslo. Visited Norway last year and found trains comfortable.
    Good luck

15. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

Good evening all, an update.

I have now purchased my tickets for this trip and this is what I have planned, no doubt some of you will think I'm crazy, but oh well...

Monday:

0841 Arlanda C - Sundsvall C 11.49 1st Class with breakfast. Express train.
    1208 Sundsvall C - Umea East 14:58. Regional Train.
    (Explore Umea)
    2229 Umea East - Ornskoldsvik C 2334. Regional Train.

Tuesday

0044 Ornskoldsvik C - Narvik 1229. Sleeper Train. Shared 3 bed sleeper berth.
    (Quick look around Narvik, depending on the arrival time)
    1515 Narvik - Stockholm C 0915. 1st Class Private berth with shower.

Wednesday

(Explore Central Stockholm)
    Train to Arlanda C at leisure.

This itinery allows me to see some of Sweden, while taking in the train travel which I enjoy. I won't have much time in Narvik but I will return to Norway another time, so that is not that important for me on this trip.

16. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

You should look out of the train at Kiruna

17. Techniquest

I'll be able to tell you more about Norway in just under 2 weeks, once I come back from my visit! Looks like one beast of a trip you're embarking on, and I can't put into words how jealous I am.

Stockholm, how long are you there for? I would highly recommend a visit to the Old Town as it's a nice area to spend a couple of hours. The Globe (I can't remember it's proper name right now) gives you amazing views of Stockholm too on a nice day and the whole experience is worth it on its own.

The city centre itself I don't remember much of, so it can't have really struck me as worth seeing! The Metro is well run though and is my second favourite Metro-style operation in the world so far. Top is obviously London, Vienna follows in after Stockholm and Brussels, with New York only just beating my mid-2000s experience of Paris. Well worth a visit and I found the 24/48/72 hour passes to be very good value for money.

Oh yes, there's a good reason for using the Metro in Stockholm, the rather incredible artwork at some of the stations. Two of them stand out the most, but without finding all my photos on Flickr (I'm about to head to bed otherwise I'd link them) I don't have the names. Remind me if you don't find them (unsurprisingly I'm 43002 on Flickr) and I'll look tomorrow afternoon.

18. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

The old town of Stockholm is called Gamla Stan and is very nice

19. Billy A

Billy A Member

Gamla Stan just means Old Town, it's not a name as such and has I think being popularised by the tourist authorities.
    Anyway, yes it's very nice if you can avoid high season when it can be heaving.

20. JonasB

JonasB Member

Gamla stan is the official name since 1980, before that it was called Staden mellan broarna (The Town between the Bridges), in my opinion a much better name.

It is a very "touristy" place, but still worth a visit. Västerlånggatan, one of the main streets, is worth a visit. But the shops are unfortuneatly mostly tourist traps, although there are exceptions to that rule.