• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Avanti re-selling returned/cancelled train tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GillP

Is it true Avanti West coast are real-selling returned /cancelled London to Liverpool tickets at the counter at a discount price?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it true Avanti West coast are real-selling returned /cancelled London to Liverpool tickets at the counter at a discount price?
I am not sure what you are asking.

If an Advance fare that had previously been booked is released, due to being refunded or the date/time changed, then it becomes available for re-sale (through all retail channels).

GillP

I am not sure what you are asking.

If an Advance fare that had previously been booked is released, due to being refunded or the date/time changed, then it becomes available for re-sale (through all retail channels).
That’s exactly what I was asking, thank you

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Let's say I bought a bargain basement Advance from Euston to Liverpool for £12.

Normally Advance tickets can't be refunded but at the moment many train companies are allowing refunds. If I obtain a refund or change the date of travel so that the ticket becomes available for sale will the train company sell it at the bargain basement price? I suspect they would not resell for £12 but they and they would sell at the current Advance ticket price.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It'll presumably go back in the system as a seat in that quota and be sold at whatever price is attached to that quota at that point.

That’s what I suspect. I doubt very much that an odd bottom tier ticket suddenly appears for sale...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So let’s say I buy advance for £12 when they first go on sale.

A week before departure the Advance tickets on sale are at £60. I change my plans and the £12 ticket becomes available again.

Does the £12 ticket go on sale again. I suspect not as if it did we would see posts on this forum saying that tickets suddenly became available at a cheaper price. We rarely see this and when we do it’s normally because of something like a seat sale.

Alternatively, and what I strongly suspect happens is that the ticket becomes available at the prevailing Advance price, i.e. £60 in this example.

I agree that the process will be the same across all TOCs. I’m sure there will be forum members who will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.