• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are our railways haunted? (ghost stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirphil

Been speaking with a colleague who is based at Westbury. He reckons that the old TOPS offices at Westbury are haunted by a spirit of unknown origin. By all accounts it scared the s&$t out of the TOPS clerks there one night. Nobody seems to know any rail connection and I didn't find out any dates or descriptions of said haunting. Give me a few weeks and I'll see what I can discover.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not really a haunting as such, but I did find this quite weird:

On the 30th June 2011 I went to London to travel on the last ever 1967 Stock train. The unit that I travelled on down to London was 317503, and the unit I took back home was 317883. At the time I didn't really think anything of it, until exactly a month later on 30th July, when I was on another trip to London. When I got home, I realised that the two units I had travelled to/from London on were, 317503 and 317883! (Albeit the other way round, as I had 883 to London and 503 home.) I found it a bit creepy, as it was exactly the same two units that I had travelled on exactly a month ago, it seemed to mark the occasion that a month had passed since the last 1967 Stock train...

12CSVT

Established Member
Not really a haunting as such, but I did find this quite weird:

On the 30th June 2011 I went to London to travel on the last ever 1967 Stock train. The unit that I travelled on down to London was 317503, and the unit I took back home was 317883. At the time I didn't really think anything of it, until exactly a month later on 30th July, when I was on another trip to London. When I got home, I realised that the two units I had travelled to/from London on were, 317503 and 317883! (Albeit the other way round, as I had 883 to London and 503 home.) I found it a bit creepy, as it was exactly the same two units that I had travelled on exactly a month ago, it seemed to mark the occasion that a month had passed since the last 1967 Stock train...

Something similar happened to me in 1999. Took the train from Kings Cross to York, returning later in the day. 91002 there, 91026 back. Two days later I did the same journey and again it was 91002 there and 91026 back.

Now for something which I do find chilling to think about. One day in 2005, I was videoing trains on Oxenholme station and one of the trains I took a video shot of was a Pendolino with a Euston - Carlisle service. A couple of hours later I was at Docker (close to where 390033 derailed) and videoed a southbound pendolino which would have been the return working of the one I saw at Oxenholme earlier. It was only recently when I was looking through the footage of that day that I noticed the pendolino I videoed at Oxenholme was - 390033.

berob91

I can relate to both of you. I travel on the West Somerset Railway a lot to see a friend in Watchet. Every single time I catch the same train at 10:25 from Bishops Lydeard and without fail and without thinking I sit in the same seat. The reason I know it's the same is because the seat in front is missing it's number badge with 13. Even if I jump on the train in the centre or front I always sit in the same seat.....

JoeM

Hi Folks,

I've just joined up as reading this thread as a lurker reminded me of a tale a friend of mine once told me. He'd heard about a signalman who worked at a remote box who was on nights and after the last train had gone through the phone rang and it was coming from the phone along the line. When the signalman answered there was just raspy breathing...I am sure there was more to the tale than that - apparently the bloke switched all the lights off and sat facing the door all night!

Is anyone else aware of this story, where it was supposed to have happened?

I don't think it was considered supernatural, but a little creepy all the same.

Tracked

Established Member
Hi Folks,

I've just joined up as reading this thread as a lurker reminded me of a tale a friend of mine once told me. He'd heard about a signalman who worked at a remote box who was on nights and after the last train had gone through the phone rang and it was coming from the phone along the line. When the signalman answered there was just raspy breathing...I am sure there was more to the tale than that - apparently the bloke switched all the lights off and sat facing the door all night!

Sounds like a story that was on the Settle-Carlisle episode of The Train Now Departing, which was at the Blea Moor signal box, that was essentially it - signalman answers phone & after asking who's there a couple of times gets the heavy breathing

tirphil

Sounds like a story that was on the Settle-Carlisle episode of The Train Now Departing, which was at the Blea Moor signal box, that was essentially it - signalman answers phone & after asking who's there a couple of times gets the heavy breathing

I've not heard that one regarding the S&C although I'm not surprised that it would freak out the bobby in Blea Moor. Its a lonely old place in the day let alone at night with breathing like a death rattle coming down the phone line!

callum112233

Hi Folks,

Sounds like someone was having a laugh at the signalman's expense :D

tirphil

Sounds like someone was having a laugh at the signalman's expense :D

But if the call is coming from an SPT then someone is going to a hell of a lot of trouble to have a laugh at the signalman's expense. The signals with telephones aren't exactly near anywhere in particular and it would be one massive undertaking to get to any of the 'up' telephones. The down home telephone is near the station admittedly, but still, its a lot of trouble to go to just to wind a signalman up. And it won't be a train driver as the bobby would know he was there.

kings-lynn47576

I believe that the MPD at Grosmont on the NYMR is haunted beyond doubt (one reason why i will never go back and do a 5am start).

One morning I started at 5 I was sent to go and get some rags for lighting the engine, there was 3 of us on the others were checking the engines over. As I got to the coaling tower and cleaners shed I could see someone walking towards me from the line to Goathland (and for those who have been there it was not someone on the footpath next to the line it was on the track) Im sure I could even hear the ballast crunching like someone was walking, So i picked up the buckets of rags and just ran back to the safety of the shed and didnt go back out till it was light and have not been back yet.

Not sure if its haunted anywhere else or if anyone else has heard or seen anything but theres no doubt in my mind I saw something that morning.

Kernowfem

Hoping to investigate the former Tattershall station if the now (gallery) owner agrees to it. Several people who frequent the pub/restaraunt sited beside the old station have been reporting numerous phenomena for years, including several residents who's homes border the old track bed.

Prodigy

Any stories of the Scout Railway Tunnel being haunted? I live right by (well technically you could say on) the hill that the tunnel goes under and have often wondered about spirits being around there. I know how to get on the top of the tunnel entrance but would never venture there at night.

Kernowfem

Now that sounds like a place I would like to investigate!

If i get permission, fire up Teghan and join us on the invo :)

The former Lincolnshire lines are steeped in paranormal folklore, and i have met quite a few ex railway men who have confirmed sightings/experiences in the areas both while the lines were still working and since they haven't.....

kings-lynn47576

I dont know if its been metioned on here but the King's Lynn - Hunstanton line between Wolferton and Dersingham is meant to be haunted by a train that crashed after hitting a cow. Also Norwich station is meant to be haunted by a giant rat?

The 19:45 to King's Lynn

Location: Hunstanton (Norfolk) - Disused rail track between Hunstanton and King's Lynn
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1970s
Further Comments: This train crashed in August 1863, killing six people. Even though the line was removed from service during the 1960s, people still reported a phantom locomotive travelling along for several years after.

Large Rat

Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: This station is home to a frightful entity which takes the form of a rat-like creature with large teeth and obnoxious breath.

Last edited:

Don2912

...a frightful entity... ... with large teeth and obnoxious breath.

Sounds like someone I know... ;):lol:

Apparently, the site of Trent Station is supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a railway worker. He was allegedly killed while crossing the line in thick fog at a section known as the "screaming curve".

An ex-railwayman recounted this little tale to me; does anyone have any further information?

Cheers,

Don

12CSVT

Established Member
Large Rat

Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: This station is home to a frightful entity which takes the form of a rat-like creature with large teeth and obnoxious breath.

Sounds a bit like the killer rabbit in 'Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail' :lol:

AndyJB

Hi Andy...this story is written aboutin Herberts railway ghosts and phantoms book. According to the author two elderly gents set out to debunk the story, only to come face to fce with the apparition.

It scared them sensless by all accounts :)

Haven't been able to find that story in the two ghost books that I own, though I do recall reading it - I'm sure that the text described the gents moving (running?) away from the apparition but, despite their retreat being unable to put any distance between themselves and the apparition.

berob91

Haven't been able to find that story in the two ghost books that I own, though I do recall reading it - I'm sure that the text described the gents moving (running?) away from the apparition but, despite their retreat being unable to put any distance between themselves and the apparition.

I know the story. At Elsham I believe near the bridge. Story goes that the driver and fireman of a locomotive back in the 1870's 1880's had a fight on the footplate and consequently crashed it.

The two gents searching to debunk the story felt that the apparition was moving away from them as they weren't getting closer and so ran back to the signal box.

AndyJB

I know the story. At Elsham I believe near the bridge. Story goes that the driver and fireman of a locomotive back in the 1870's 1880's had a fight on the footplate and consequently crashed it.

The two gents searching to debunk the story felt that the apparition was moving away from them as they weren't getting closer and so ran back to the signal box.

That's the one - whilst they weren't getting any closer to the apparition on approach, didn't the text describe it not getting any further away when they retreated?

berob91

AndyJB

I worked in blea moor tunnel and the old boys say the ghost is named knock-knock. Apparantley if you hear knocking then bloody run! As it happens me and my mate had to walk nearly a mile from inside blea moor back to the van for tools. We seen or heard nothing!
Wouldn't catch me going in there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.