• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are our railways haunted? (ghost stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernowfem

I see many of the forums users are railway workers, and i wondered if anyone had any tales to tell of mysterious happenings/hauntings while on duty, or if anyone has any railway ghost stories.
I appreciate this thread may not be everyones cup of tea, but i would love to hear any stories/experiences you guys may have :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
There's a 37 which is supposedly haunted by a driver who was killed when something smashed through the windscreen and hit his head. It's 37069, IIRC.

1992 and I find myself sat in the brake van of a 63 slam door at Bognor. Had just worked the train in from Barnham doing the guards bit as the original guard went sick so they used me as I was a spare trainman.

Anyhow, the train was into Barnham then empty back to Lovers Walk. We pulled in and everyone got off, I walked to the back of the train and to make sure everyone was off and walked back to the brake van where I got in and sat down waiting for the driver to change ends and get ready to go. A woman walked past the brake van going towards the back of the train and smiled at me as she went by. I didn't think too much of it as the platform staff were up that way and I assumed they would see her and get her off the train.

So,time to go and I get the tip off the platform guy. I asked if he kicked the woman off, the one that walked past a few minutes earlier. "What woman" he asked........

I told him what happened and we went to have a look for her. No sign. Told the driver who told the signaler and we all had a look down the track. Nothing. The woman was no where to be seen any where.

Trains were cautioned and we went out under caution and she was no-where to be seen. I know I seen her that night, I just know it but she didn't get off the train and no one had seen her on the station. To this day I can't work out where she went.

I have also heard drivers talking about seeing people in Clayton Tunnel many a time.

Kernowfem

Interesting story...thankyou for sharing it. I have heard that an old deltic 'nimbus' can still be seen on a certain part of the railway network even though it was scrapped in 1980. My grandfather was a midland man, and he used to tell me about the sightings of it. Apparently its appearences were reported 9 times, lets face it, a deltic would now stick out like a sore thumb, and unless a special, would be widely talked about...

robertclark125

Established Member
The Old Jesmond station, which is on the ECS line between Jesmond Metro and Manors Metro on the Tyne and Wear Metro is supposidly hautned. Also see my thread, Manors - Alone with nature.

SWT Driver

Unit 450101 is said to be haunted, with more than a few traincrew seeing the image of a girl who was killed by it on board.

Also there's a section of line between Crowthorne & Wokingham near Broadmoor Hospital (YES THAT Broadmoor), where at least 6 drivers I know have seen & "hit" someone on the track at speed on that section, yet when they've gone back expecting to find a body or bits & pieces, there's absolutely nothing there.

They then felt the temperature in the area where it had happened drop sharply... :o

Needless to say they ran like....

Dai.

Established Member
Trains and Railways from the evidence will most definitely have spirits on them, it'd be exciting to go along on one that's meant to be haunted at night to see what happens.

kyrano

Do you have any empirical evidence that there's no such thing as a spirit, ghost etc?

So where does the spirit/soul or everyone go when they die?

exactly !!!
and have you ever noticed 2 people have never seen a ghost its always 1 person..

Kernowfem

No. Grow up.

At 32, im perfectly grown up. It's a fair question. 'Are our railways haunted'?
I didn't say 'Our railways ARE haunted'.
The thread title was plain enough to understand, why not just ignore it, no one made you read it....

Last edited:

Bittern

Established Member
exactly !!!
and have you ever noticed 2 people have never seen a ghost its always 1 person..
I've read a lot of idiotic things, and this is certainly amongst them. It's like Common Sense has become a god damn superpower. Of course there's been sightings where multiple people saw them. Do some research before you make silly posts like this next time.

asylumxl

Established Member
I see figures in the corner of my right eye all the time...

I have poor vision in it though, so i contribute it to Charles Bonnet syndrome..

route:oxford

Established Member
Looked in the mirror lately?

Eek!

When I was young there was a story in a "comic" (well, it wasn't a comic as such but a feature magazine for boys on newsprint). It told the tale of a young man whose reflection started talking back (silently) to him, the reflection started getting more vigorous and angry looking until one day the reflection reached out from the mirror and grabbed him swapping places - leaving him trapped in the mirror.

I was probably about 10 at the time. Couldn't look in a mirror for about a week after.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
This could have been a good thread before all this bitching overwhelmed it. Just a bit of light entertainment and tittilation, why so serious!?

Moodster020

I thought i had a ghostly encounter once, it grabbed my bed in the early hours of the morning & shook it violently (No puns please!)

Then i later realised it was that earthquake! :p

Seriously though,

There are alot of things we don't yet understand, such as quantum physics, etc.
So i keep an open mind about such things, never say never...

Mintona

Established Member
Apparently Harrietsham ticket office is haunted.

For many years, there was an old wartime stretcher attached to one of the walls. Everytime a new person worked there, they were always warned by the old hands - "do not touch the stretcher".
In the past, Harrietsham ticket office was closed, and the stretcher remained where it had always been. However, a few years back it was re-opened and refurbished, and the stretcher was removed. The next morning, the whole room had been trashed, though there was no sign of entry from anyone. The lady who was working there tidied everything and shut down for the night. The following morning, the whole room was trashed once more, still with no sign of forced entry. The lady went and found the stretcher and hung it back on the wall, where it has remained to this very day, without any further mishaps.

Rumour has it the stretcher was used to carry away someone who had been hit by a train at Harrietsham.

Kernowfem

Apparently Harrietsham ticket office is haunted.

For many years, there was an old wartime stretcher attached to one of the walls. Everytime a new person worked there, they were always warned by the old hands - "do not touch the stretcher".
In the past, Harrietsham ticket office was closed, and the stretcher remained where it had always been. However, a few years back it was re-opened and refurbished, and the stretcher was removed. The next morning, the whole room had been trashed, though there was no sign of entry from anyone. The lady who was working there tidied everything and shut down for the night. The following morning, the whole room was trashed once more, still with no sign of forced entry. The lady went and found the stretcher and hung it back on the wall, where it has remained to this very day, without any further mishaps.

Rumour has it the stretcher was used to carry away someone who had been hit by a train at Harrietsham.

Really interesting story mintona, many thanks for sharing.

kyrano

Victorian Woman

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: A phantom woman in Victorian clothing has been reported moving around the subway that connects platforms 1 and 2.

as anyone been to this dump must be a wind up even a ghost would not go to the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.