• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are some people not cut out to drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterC

Established Member
Correct. If coming to a stop for more than a second or two you should be using the handbrake and disengaging the clutch, and if you know you’re going to be standing still for any length of time, selecting neutral.
On a modern car that also stops the engine, reducing CO2 emissions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ivorytoast28

I learnt to drive at 17 and passed my test at the second attempt 6 months later. 15 years later and I haven't driven a car since the day of the test and don't intend too. At first, I didn't because I was going to uni and living in central Newcastle but then I just got used to not. The thought of driving just doesn't interest me, I love train rides and walking listening to music and accept buses/taxis where I have too. Cars just seem stressful, dangerous, chaotic, not scenic and expensive. They simply don't appeal at all personally. I have my licence should I ever need it but I don't intend too. I never ask anyone else for a lift and feel fully independant travelling throughout the UK and abroad so meh

Butts

Veteran Member
I learnt to drive at 17 and passed my test at the second attempt 6 months later. 15 years later and I haven't driven a car since the day of the test and don't intend too. At first, I didn't because I was going to uni and living in central Newcastle but then I just got used to not. The thought of driving just doesn't interest me, I love train rides and walking listening to music and accept buses/taxis where I have too. Cars just seem stressful, dangerous, chaotic, not scenic and expensive. They simply don't appeal at all personally. I have my licence should I ever need it but I don't intend too. I never ask anyone else for a lift and feel fully independant travelling throughout the UK and abroad so meh

Would you have the confidence/ability to get into a car today and successfully complete a journey ?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Would you have the confidence/ability to get into a car today and successfully complete a journey ?
That's a very good point I think. I wasn't allowed to drive for several months due to a medical problem and was definitely less confident and competent when I started again. I dread to think how some drivers would get on after many years without any practice.

miklcct

On Moderation
What will you do if you want to participate in events but you can't find suitable public transport? Do you book a minicab?

Clayton

On Moderation
I must say it’s nice to read all these stories. Growing up in London and having poor coordination I didn’t learn till later in life, and though I passed second time I’ve never really driven. Luckily my wife drives and is understanding though I know I should get some refresher lessons to help her out.

PeterC

Established Member
What will you do if you want to participate in events but you can't find suitable public transport? Do you book a minicab?
Those of us who do get involved with activities in remote locations sometimes forget that a significant proportion of the population will only travel within or between major urban areas.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Those of us who do get involved with activities in remote locations sometimes forget that a significant proportion of the population will only travel within or between major urban areas.

And most people don't try to cram in as much as @miklcct does. If they can't get to/from the thing they want in a day, they'll book a hotel or not do it.

Interesting how people vary on this. I was at a wedding on Saturday, and some relatively local people stayed in the nearby Travelodge, yet one couple from Leeds drove all the way from there to MK and back on the same day.

Gloster

Established Member
You book a cab, stay in a hotel or make whatever arrangements are best. And all the time you can remember that you are not paying insurance, car maintenance, fuelling, parking fees, etc. You have to go to an awful lot of awkwardly timed or located events for that to become a problem.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

That's a very good point I think. I wasn't allowed to drive for several months due to a medical problem and was definitely less confident and competent when I started again. I dread to think how some drivers would get on after many years without any practice.

I went for quite a long time without driving and suddenly found myself having to "step up to the plate" when my dad had a stroke. In all honesty, it wasn't that bad. I've hired a few cars over the years and I've always preferred going out for a short drive before allowing anyone else in the vehicle with me.

The old adage "it's like riding a bike" definitely does come into play, although I felt a lot less confident when I bought a pushbike last year! A quick jaunt along some fairly quiet roads allows you to build confidence again.

MattRat

On Moderation
Perhaps OP should learn in an automatic. One less thing to think about so they can focus on only one thing.

Chester1

Established Member
Perhaps OP should learn in an automatic. One less thing to think about so they can focus on only one thing.

I tried automatics after failing two manual tests and still failed multiple times in automatics! It was certainly easier though and for some people switching to learning to drive an automatic could make all the difference. I came to the conclusion that with enough attempts I could probably avoid a major mistake for 40 minutes but that I would never be a safe driver. I lack the mental capacity to process quickly what other cars are doing. That isn't resolvable with practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.