• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there any plans for the disused former Bathgate station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

och aye

Are there any plans to do anything with the former Bathgate station and trackbed or will it just be left for mother nature to reclaim it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matchmaker

Established Member
Are we talking about Bathgate (Lower) which closed in 1930?
No. When the line to Bathgate reopened in 1986 a new terminal station was built on the site of the original station. When Airdrie to Bathgate opened in 2010 a new double line through station was built on a nearby site.

waverley47

Nothing planned. The ground is still owned by NR, and although it's surrounded by businesses, it's not really useful for anything.

It's not the right shape or size for a new platform should we need one in the future, it's not big enough for a car park, it's not really a great walkway to anywhere in particular. I suspect it will sit as waste ground until such a time as a cycle route is built to the centre of town.

och aye

Nothing planned. The ground is still owned by NR, and although it's surrounded by businesses, it's not really useful for anything.

It's not the right shape or size for a new platform should we need one in the future, it's not big enough for a car park, it's not really a great walkway to anywhere in particular. I suspect it will sit as waste ground until such a time as a cycle route is built to the centre of town.
Thanks for the info. Looking at it from satelite images, I did think there wasn't very much that could be done with it. Hopefully it will become part of a cycle route as you suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.