• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are these barrier coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Bill

Please excuse my ignorance and asking of silly questions... but are these barrier coaches? I've had a Google but never seen so many together - but I suppose they do get moved around as needs must.

Anyways, I would just like to be sure what I saw.

26078641613_9189f5e6e4_b.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Bill

Ahhhh - thanks Peter. I didn't realise they have covered wagons for that.

Arbel ATM WIAs. Fascinating stuff this railway business. :)

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
They are used for taking Jags to Southampton (amongst other things).
You see long rakes of them through Eastleigh. I suppose the extra protection is considered worthwhile for an above average price car.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With regard to barrier wagons, would it be feasible to refit locos with autocouplers to haul units? It's something that I've often wondered about given the plethora of 37s, 47s etc lying around (not that there are quite so many these days!).

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
With regard to barrier wagons, would it be feasible to refit locos with autocouplers to haul units? It's something that I've often wondered about given the plethora of 37s, 47s etc lying around.

Yes. It's been done by a set up called Rail Operations Group, someone started a thread about it a few weeks ago:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126555

That thread reports a couple of 37s with liftable Dellner couplers, and controls to work with 375s.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
With regard to barrier wagons, would it be feasible to refit locos with autocouplers to haul units? It's something that I've often wondered about given the plethora of 37s, 47s etc lying around (not that there are quite so many these days!).

Wouldn't it be more expensive to keep a large number of locos operational required for barrier duties rather than a large number of unpowered wagons and the (smaller) required number of locos to haul those trains.

trainmania100

Established Member
Yeah car wagons, I saw them over in southampton docks not long ago being unloaded, quite a nice sight.
There's a ferry from Southampton that goes passed them, quite good photos too

Status
Not open for further replies.