Are these really network rail personnel?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by iwannaknow, 17 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Having read my post again, I still cannot see what gives you that impression. My sentence started with ''if.''

2. Bungle73

Bungle73 On Moderation

How do you know what is and isn't in their employee database if you don't have access to it? You suggested using what was in it as a method of determining who was a legitimate employee of NR and who isn't.

3. ole man

ole man Member

Every person on Network Rail infrastructure has to have there sponsor/company on there Hi-Viz clothing, that is fact.
    Although these days agency staff work for that many different agencies they could put anything on

4. Mojo

I don't. Hence the use of the word ''if.'' If I did know, I would have left that word out.
    No I didn't! The OP stated ''Do Network Rail employ eastern Europeans?'' Seems like me a reasonable way to check this fact would be to see what records they hold on their employees.

5. Bungle73

Bungle73 On Moderation

The conversation went like this:

It seems perfectly clear what you said to me.

If you want to try and pretend that you didn't say what you did then so be it.

6. Mojo

Well it's not clear exactly what you are implying I said, and what's wrong with saying what I supposedly said!

If an employee database shows they employ 0 people from country X then I cannot see how you would not be suspicious that someone from that country was purporting to work for that company.

Unfortunately the OP hasn't come back with further details (probably because of the ridiculous comments made here) so it's hard to comment any further, but my comment was made from a general point of view.

7. Bungle73

Bungle73 On Moderation

How are you going to know who they employ, if you don't have access to the database, in order to know whether to be suspicious or not?

8. lookingforit35

lookingforit35 Member

Now now ladies, I can see why the word "Pedant" was invented.

What a tedious way to spend time, lol.

Not a jibe by the way, just my observation that we can all (me included) take ourselves a little too seriously sometimes. ;)

9. Mojo

What has this got to do with me, and whether I have access to a database that may or may not have the data required?

10. Bungle73

Bungle73 On Moderation

This is just a massive wind up isn't it?

11. Maxfly

Maxfly Member

Possible, just please tell me it is you that is on the wind up as if your not, well how you cannot get what mojo was saying is beyond me :)

BRX, you seem to be a racism hunter tbh, even when it is not there you will find it:|

12. NSEFAN

NSEFAN Established Member

13. Marklund

Marklund Member

Deleted

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  14. caliwag

caliwag Member

Haven't read the whole thread, but I have a couple of Romanian Buddies that work for NR...One guy has been with them for years, I'm sure he's a design engineer on trackwork. (actually he's seriously interested in local railway history too, which is more what we talk about). I suspect if he's out with his Romanian colleague they drop in and out of their natural language...they certainly do in the pub...Romanian peppered with English: fascinating.
    Around 2001 I worked with an Indian NR engineer on some West coast improvements...good man.

15. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

If the OP did phone BTP, and BTP said "can you give us a description of the men?", would it be racist to mention that they were talking in a language other than English? I don't see why a line has to be drawn between mentioning it initially or waiting until asked for further details.

16. dcd

dcd Member

As in this photo - one at least does not appear to have any logo on their hi-viz

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. asylumxl

asylumxl Established Member

I'm going to make a return to this thread. I'm not going to get into any debates though.

In reality, these people were probably just NR employees or contractors, most likely surveyors, and if they were looking at the houses it will probably have been something to do with fencing or foliage.

NR has been conducting surveys of foliage for about a year and a bit now in order to identify what needs cutting back to reduce problems due to leaf fall.

18. Maxfly

Maxfly Member

There was a Romanian fella that worked on the project for Lugton dynamic loop, very clever bloke actually spoke with a slight kind of Yorkshire accent too which threw me at first lol. Very interested in what he was doing and could tell he enjoyed his job, seemed quite impressed by the way the Scottish tokenless blocks worked. Wonder if he was one of your mates? :)

19. BRX

BRX Established Member

What makes you say this?

20. Maxfly

Maxfly Member

If by this reply and subsequent ones you were not insinuating that the op had racist overtones in his post then I apologise and retract my post :)

21. caliwag

caliwag Member

Aye, I'll ask him if he was on that job...I think he tends to be more West Coast and Northern england, could be his mate though! Cheers, Jim

22. 12CSVT

12CSVT Established Member

On the other hand she could be fully PTS trained and a few weeks / months away from retirement age.

23. Smudger105e

Smudger105e Member

No, that would be no more racist than the Police describing someone as a IC1 male with ginger hair, would it? As detailed a description as possible is most important, and that does not just include their appearance, it includes accents, their (possibly suspicious) activites, their location etc. etc...

24. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Just wondering what the outcome of the phone call was? Personally I think you did the right thing - despite all being blown out of proportion on here.

25. BRX

BRX Established Member

The point is not about whether the language they seemed to be speaking is a potentially useful piece of information to give the police if you make the call.

The point is about whether their supposed nationality is in fact relevant to determining the likelihood that they are up to no good.

Being suspicious about people based on their nationality/appearance/whatever has consequences for people of that nationality/appearance whatever. Not theoretical consequences - real consequences. If there is an air of suspicion about "eastern Europeans" because people hear rumours that there are loads of eastern Europeans perpetrating cable thefts, this affects the way eastern Europeans are treated in their day-to-day lives.

So, each time this rumour is mentioned, say by the OP of this thread, it is reinforced. Hence why I feel it is important that it is questioned.

26. Trog

Trog Established Member

I have seen an old black BR rule book printed in Polish.

So there must have been quite a few then.

27. Sapphire Blue

Sapphire Blue Member

Most of them were in Double Dutch as well!

28. Maxfly

Maxfly Member

Nope it is only important to be questioned if racism was inferred by the op in his original post. As it was not and his post was quite clear about why foreign accents etc were mentioned then your subsequent racism hunting was neither required or welcome. In fact your postings are the more likely to invoke sour feelings against eastern Europeans as they are what is stirring up any racial tension etc, not the op!

29. Old Timer

Old Timer Established Member

I suggest you stop trying to infer "Racism" where there clearly is none intended.

It is a fact that there are a considerable number of Eastern European criminals in the UK, many from Romania for example, were prisoners who were released by the Government and effectively deported to the UK.

There is a serious and growing issue with criminal gangs made up from Eastern Europeans. This is a fact and stating this does not constitute "Racism" in any way whatsoever. What I find deeply worrying is your rush to play the race card.

Whilst there are certainly a good percentage of Eastern Europeans who contribute to the UK, it is a fact that there is still a large group who are engaged in Criminality on a serious scale.

The OP was quite right to have been suspicious about people on and about the line who were seemingly more interested in the house alongside rather than the actual railway. I would have expected the OP to have reported boviously English speaking people who were acting in the same manner.

Oh and before you try to play the race card against me, I spend most of my time working outside the UK, where I am the foreigner.

I also speak at least one foreign language.

30. 12CSVT

12CSVT Established Member

I don't think it is racist to be suspicious of people on non-public areas of Network Rail property speaking in a foreign language. It is my understanding that any safety critical communication should be not only in English but should also use the correct railway terminology at all times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.