• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are these really network rail personnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwannaknow

Hi all, I watched a couple of railway workers today near my house and a couple of things seemed a bit off to me. Any info anybody could supply would be much appreciated. I'll just ask direct questions rather than write a giant explanation.

Do Network Rail employ eastern Europeans? (initially drew my attention because they were speaking a language that sounded like russian or polish)

They were walking along the track making notes.

They seemed to be more interested in the houses than anything to do with the railway.

Been hearing some stuff about Romanian gangs nicking stuff from the railways.

How easy is it to get the orange kit? I gather it could be stolen or reproduced easily enough.

I know I sound a bit over-cautious but I trust my gut and this was strange.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hi all, I watched a couple of railway workers today near my house and a couple of things seemed a bit off to me. Any info anybody could supply would be much appreciated. I'll just ask direct questions rather than write a giant explanation.

Do Network Rail employ eastern Europeans? (initially drew my attention because they were speaking a language that sounded like russian or polish)

They seemed to be more interested in the houses than anything to do with the railway.

How easy is it to get the orange kit? I gather it could be stolen or reproduced easily enough.

Thanks.

if you are concerned you should contact btp

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Could they be perhaps sub-contractors?

If you are suspicious I'd probably give Network Rail Community Relations a call on 0845 711 4141, to check if these people were legit or not.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
if you are concerned you should contact btp

You can do that too...

0800 40 50 40.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Could they be perhaps sub-contractors?

If you are suspicious I'd probably give Network Rail Community Relations a call on 0845 711 4141, to check if these people were legit or not.

You can do that too...

0800 40 50 40.

thanks - i am on my phone and didnt have the numbers to hand

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yeah - BTP 0800 number is a non-emergency number so you can contact them with a general concern (such as this) or to report a crime.

robschopper

In answer to your original question, yes, there are a significant number of foreign workers on Network Rail, some for sub-contractors. Orange hi-vis are not difficult to get hold of, but all Network Rail contractors should have thier company name on the back of the hi-vis jacket, and (and I stand to be corrected on this) should have a white hard hat. In short, if you are not sure, by all means contact BTP, who can make some very easy and quick enquiries to ascertain if these people are on the lines legitimately.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
In answer to your original question, yes, there are a significant number of foreign workers on Network Rail, some for sub-contractors. Orange hi-vis are not difficult to get hold of, but all Network Rail contractors should have thier company name on the back of the hi-vis jacket, and (and I stand to be corrected on this) should have a white hard hat. In short, if you are not sure, by all means contact BTP, who can make some very easy and quick enquiries to ascertain if these people are on the lines legitimately.

you may also have a blue hard hat

Hydro

Established Member

you may also have a blue hard hat

If you're the tea boy, I mean, new. /evil ;)

Established Member
A good way to tell is the Orange Vest. There's plenty of them out there, but genuine railway ones have the shiny silver stripe going over the shoulders. Additionally they will all have (emergency rip-release) studs on the shoulders, so the Vest comes apart if snagged by a passing train, avoiding dragging the employee with it.

Was a basic mistake for 4 cable thieves near Castleford some years ago, BTP got them.

Hydro

Established Member
Additionally they will all have (emergency rip-release) studs on the shoulders, so the Vest comes apart if snagged by a passing train, avoiding dragging the employee with it.

Not all, issue bodywarmers don't have quick release studs.

BRX

Established Member

Thanks.

Would you have been suspicious if you hadn't thought they were "Eastern Europeans"?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The OP said there had been reports of Romanian gangs stealing metal. He saw some suspicious-looking Eastern European men on the railway (suspicious for reasons other than being possibly Romanian).

If you had a spate of bank robberies perpetrated by clowns in your area and you saw a clown loitering outside a bank, you'd naturally be more suspicious of the clown than anyone else.

The OP was suspicious and I don't think it is fair to criticise him for that. For all we know he may have prevented a metal theft, and thousands of delay minutes. Or maybe the chaps were there legitimately after all.

So what?

BRX

Established Member
The OP said there had been reports of Romanian gangs stealing metal. He saw some suspicious-looking Eastern European men on the railway (suspicious for reasons other than being possibly Romanian).

If you had a spate of bank robberies perpetrated by clowns in your area and you saw a clown loitering outside a bank, you'd naturally be more suspicious of the clown than anyone else.

The OP was suspicious and I don't think it is fair to criticise him for that. For all we know he may have prevented a metal theft, and thousands of delay minutes. Or maybe the chaps were there legitimately after all.

So what?

What proportion of railway metal thefts are carried out by "Eastern Europeans"?

...and while you're at it, what proportion of genuine railway workers are "Eastern Europeans"?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What proportion of railway metal thefts are carried out by "Eastern Europeans"?

I've no idea, but the OP, rightly or wrongly, had heard that there was a spate of metal thefts perpetrated by Eastern Europeans. I suspect very few metal thefts are actually carried out by Eastern Europeans, but I don't know.

...and while you're at it, what proportion of genuine railway workers are "Eastern Europeans"?

No idea, and it's not relevant.

The OP, if he contacted the BTP/NR about this, did the right thing, and that's all that matters.

Isn't it?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
So if I send you to a foreign country, you should be deemed suspicious because you speak a different language?

That was not what I said. I was agreeing with BRX - his observation that the OP had mentioned nationality was reasonable. Hence why I quoted District.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
And where did he get this information about gangs of Eastern Europeans?

Sounds like wild rumours to me.

What are you on about? The OP talked about nationality. BRX asked if he would have thought any different if they weren't Eastern European. I agreed with BRX.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
And where did he get this information about gangs of Eastern Europeans?

Sounds like wild rumours to me.

Sounds like rumours to me too! But hey, it may have been presented to him as fact.

The criticism of the OP is wholly unnecessary.

BRX

Established Member
I've no idea, but the OP, rightly or wrongly, had heard that there was a spate of metal thefts perpetrated by Eastern Europeans. I suspect very few metal thefts are actually carried out by Eastern Europeans, but I don't know.

No idea, and it's not relevant.

The OP, if he contacted the BTP/NR about this, did the right thing, and that's all that matters.

Isn't it?

It appeared that the OP made a judgement about some people based at least partly on their supposed nationality, because of some probably unfounded perception that "Eastern Europeans" walking around on the railway are more likely to be looking for metal to steal, than to be there as part of their work.

Does it matter if the OP contacted the BTP as a result of seeing people behaving suspiciously? No.

Does it matter if the OP makes judgements about people based on their perceived nationality? Well, it could matter to the people of those nationalities, if they are constantly subjected to unreasonable suspicion while going about their daily duties.

It doesn't mean the OP is a terrible person, but maybe some gentle questioning when such comments are made could make them think about these questions, and maybe in some small way that could make life a little easier for those of other nationalities working in the UK who are fed up of being treated in a certain way because of rumours and hearsay about what other people of their nationality may or may not be getting up to.
Sounds like rumours to me too! But hey, it may have been presented to him as fact.

Oh well! That's OK then! No need to question it.

Did you hear that most Irish people are a bit stupid by the way?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Did you hear that most Irish people are a bit stupid by the way?

Yes. ;);) I also hear they steal metal!

(I am half Irish, seriously I am joking and trying to illustrate another assumption.)

Prejudice is part of life I am afraid. I experience what many would view as prejudice, just like everyone else, because I am young. Ho hum.
It doesn't mean the OP is a terrible person, but maybe some gentle questioning when such comments are made could make them think about these questions, and maybe in some small way that could make life a little easier for those of other nationalities working in the UK who are fed up of being treated in a certain way because of rumours and hearsay about what other people of their nationality may or may not be getting up to.

That's a fair comment.

Established Member
No one has commented on the fact that it was a foreign language being used (be it Romanian or whatever) - surely English should be used at all times in case there are non-Romanian speakers on the line at the same time? Same principle for air traffic control conversations.

AndrewP

Interesting re the nationality debate.

If there are people from a country discussing between themselves there is probably a lot of sense in them using their mother tongue.

I read the OP's comment as being based on the language / nationality being a distinguishing feature and nothing more - no different to a regional accent.

As for Hi-viz jackets in orange with reflective strips they are available to anyone for a couple of quid and that is a good thing as they are far more visible than the yellow ones.

scotsman

Established Member
As for Hi-viz jackets in orange with reflective strips they are available to anyone for a couple of quid and that is a good thing as they are far more visible than the yellow ones.

Yes, but the railway ones (i.e. have the poppers on the shoulder, sides) aren't as readily available. Mine is just a bog-standard £5 orange vest.

Anyways, the orange was chosen over yellow so it couldn't be mistaken for a signal - or so I'm told

krus_aragon

Established Member
No one has commented on the fact that it was a foreign language being used (be it Romanian or whatever) - surely English should be used at all times in case there are non-Romanian speakers on the line at the same time? Same principle for air traffic control conversations.

That's certainly the case with signallers, much to the annoyance of some Welsh speakers near private crossings on the Cambrian, where Welsh-speaking signallers have been told they must only use English for safety purposes. (Article in Y Cymro paper some months ago, I started a topic somewhere here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.