• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Underground tickets valid on the Elizabeth Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Hello,

A few weeks ago I heard someone get their details taken on the TfL rail service for having a underground only ticket to Heathrow Airport, they had their details taken before Hayes. I would have thought that underground tickets would have been valid on the EL given as it is going to be impossible to tell the difference from a tube map and branding perspective for the casual user.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hello,

A few weeks ago I heard someone get their details taken on the TfL rail service for having a underground only ticket to Heathrow Airport, they had their details taken before Hayes. I would have thought that underground tickets would have been valid on the EL given as it is going to be impossible to tell the difference from a tube map and branding perspective for the casual user.
Whether or not the passenger can tell the difference is immaterial to the fact that an Underground only ticket (a paper ticket that, paid with cash, probably cost just as much as a contactless/Oyster fare on the Elizabeth line!) is not valid on National Rail services (OK, there may be some exceptions where there are interavailable routes, but I don't think that applies here).

Obviously the situation rather raises the question of how the passenger got onto the train with an Underground only ticket - I suspect it didn't happen at Paddington, suffice to say!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s not a closed TfL rail route (nothing is branded Elizabeth Line yet), and of course wherever routes are inter-available an LU ticket will be valid to get through the first barrier. Presumably this question must also arise on those parts of the LO network that are traditionally rail only services; I don’t think it’s a brand new issue with the former Heathrow Connect service.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It’s not a closed TfL rail route (nothing is branded Elizabeth Line yet), and of course wherever routes are inter-available an LU ticket will be valid to get through the first barrier. Presumably this question must also arise on those parts of the LO network that are traditionally rail only services; I don’t think it’s a brand new issue with the former Heathrow Connect service.
I believe there is interavilability on the overground network upto watford high street. But if the ticket is not valid now its probably not going to be valid when TfL rail is called the elizabeth line.

mattdickinson

I believe there is interavilability on the overground network upto watford high street. But if the ticket is not valid now its probably not going to be valid when TfL rail is called the elizabeth line.

Underground only tickets will definitely be valid between Paddington and Whitechapel.

There is interavailability all over the Overground network, mostly it applies to TfL-issued tickets only, but sometimes also to National Rail 'orange' zonal tickets (where the services are really parallel or on the same line, it seems). Nothing yet for TfL Rail, I'd expect pink ticket interavailability outside the core, following the model for most of the Overground, but it's not been announced yet. Inside the core is a different matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.