• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are we going to see more railway anniversaries celebrated apart from Scotsman Centenary in 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainlog

2023 on paper would look rather interesting for preservation owing to the abundance of anniversaries coming up. Centenary of the Big 4s creation, 75years since the Birth of BR and the loco exchange trials, 60 years of the beginning of the Beeching cuts, and 55 years since the 15 guinea special in 1968 - however apart from the Scotsman centenary, there doesn't seem to be much declared for any events or exhibitions that could be put on.

For this thread pretty much anything relevant to the extents of a heritage railway pulling off a huge gala or railtour giving a nod to any of the events - to even something on the NR network from a station getting repainted into big 4 colours - would be of interest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
It is 100 years since the first GWR Castle class 4-6-0 was built.

jtek

2023 on paper would look rather interesting for preservation owing to the abundance of anniversaries coming up. Centenary of the Big 4s creation, 75years since the Birth of BR and the loco exchange trials, 60 years of the beginning of the Beeching cuts, and 55 years since the 15 guinea special in 1968 - however apart from the Scotsman centenary, there doesn't seem to be much declared for any events or exhibitions that could be put on.

For this thread pretty much anything relevant to the extents of a heritage railway pulling off a huge gala or railtour giving a nod to any of the events - to even something on the NR network from a station getting repainted into big 4 colours - would be of interest.
and Flying Scotsman will be 100 years old of course.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well certainly her frames will be but as for anything else, debatable!
Well quite! Very much the 'Trigger's Broom' analogy.

If the NRM's own information is correct, not even all of the frames are original to FS(!):

So the question of much of Flying Scotsman is original? Well, it mainly consists of the rear two thirds of the frames, part of the cab sides and some parts of the motion and possibly the driving wheel splashers.

I understand many parts were interchangeable between A1s, A3s and V2s; therefore there is a fair chance FS has some V2 bits in her somewhere.

Pegler acquired the boiler and cylinders off sister A3 Salmon Trout, and the corridor tender from A3 Harvester...

I think a list could easily go on and on.

But then the same applies to most locomotives I would have thought, some may have higher %s of original parts but will any be absolutely 100% original? I wouldn't have thought so. Some older surviving locos from before mass-manufacture of standard parts may be in the 90% region, but wheels and other fast-wearing items are likely to have been changed a few times.

Flying Phil

Established Member
2023 will be the 50th anniversary of the start of running on the preserved Great Central Railway. This was started at a time when BR had said there would be no steam locomotives running on the network (Apart from FS!).
So from the outset it was preserved as a Main Line to enable the largest preserved steam locomotives to still run. It has steadily grown from a single track between Loughborough and Rothley. It is still growing with the steady building of bridges and embankments to join together the GCR and GCR(N)/NHR to give an 18 mile heritage Main Line.
There are several events planned for the year, starting in Jan (27th - 29th) with the Winter Steam Gala featuring the visiting Urie S15 No 506 and Std 5 Camelot No 73082.
The first Main Line Steam locomotive to arrive at Quorn was 34039 Boscastle (from Barry Scrapyard). This is now coming to the end of its second overhaul, having steamed from 1992 to 2000.

Bessie

4 Castles will be at Didcot on 4 March. 3 will be in steam. The 2 Tyseley Castles are visiting on a railtour, Didcot's own Pendennis Castle will be operational and their other castle 5051 will be on static display.

jumble

Sarah Siddons on The underground will be 100 in 2023
I have not seen any talk of celebrations yet

On Moderation
There’s a couple of 20 year anniversarys for HSTs: 20 years since the start of “Project Rio” and 20 years of the NMT.

Trainlog

If the NRM's own information is correct, not even all of the frames are original to FS(!):

I understand many parts were interchangeable between A1s, A3s and V2s; therefore there is a fair chance FS has some V2 bits in her somewhere.

Pegler acquired the boiler and cylinders off sister A3 Salmon Trout, and the corridor tender from A3 Harvester...

I think a list could easily go on and on.

But then the same applies to most locomotives I would have thought, some may have higher %s of original parts but will any be absolutely 100% original? I wouldn't have thought so. Some older surviving locos from before mass-manufacture of standard parts may be in the 90% region, but wheels and other fast-wearing items are likely to have been changed a few times.
It might not be originally Scotsman anymore, but at least for now it has original A3 parts from its classmates:)

TheIrishMail

100th Anniversary of the opening of the Welsh Highland Railway through to Porthmadog, being celebrated with a gala at the end of June with 'Russell'.

Trainlog

100th Anniversary of the opening of the Welsh Highland Railway through to Porthmadog, being celebrated with a gala at the end of June with 'Russell'.
As a Narrow gauge fan this is worthy of a mention. Hmm an opportunity to see Russell up and running might finally be the catalyst to go to Wales i needed:)

From the looks of it, it seems LNER remembered:).

Last edited:

E27007

I've heard the 4472 Flying Scotsman centenary events will be programmed for 100 weeks, 2023 - 2025, and not limited to 2023

zwk500

Veteran Member
55 years would be an odd anniversary to celebrate, and I think commemorating Beeching might touch a few nerves!

It should also be remembered that Boilers and tenders, along with many much smaller parts, were regularly exchanged between locomotives and stockpiles at Overhauls during revenue service.

Robert Ambler

Trainlog

55 years would be an odd anniversary to celebrate, and I think commemorating Beeching might touch a few nerves!

It should also be remembered that Boilers and tenders, along with many much smaller parts, were regularly exchanged between locomotives and stockpiles at Overhauls during revenue service.
I mean in 2013 they celebrated the 45th anniversary of the '15 guinea special' but they might have done that as Oliver Cromwell and the Black 5s was mainlined certified and in good condition and as the 40th Aniversary went down really well, i guess it was a good opportunity to do a rerun. The 50th anniversary sadly went by with a smaller than expected fanfare with only the GCR taking on the role of commemorating the event. Whether or not there is an appetite for a 55th anniversary is to be seen but i reckon it would be a good opportunity for the NRM to promote the fact that Oliver Cromwell will be halfway through its overhaul and will be an opportunity to fundraise for her return to the mainline.

Tbf i probably expect that there will be a couple of articles looking back on the event and some Youtubers making a video on that day in August 1968 - At best there might be a railtour with a black 5 and Britannia along the Preston to Liverpool route it took.

As for Beeching, maybe 'celebrate' isnt the right word yes, but i think it would be a good opportunity to raise awareness to the general public of what happened during the cuts and how they have consequently affected communities since. By talking about the cuts 60 years on since the report, it will be nice for it to act as a reminder of what happens to public transport infrastructure when it gets underused or sees its funding cuts and to provide modern parallels to the cuts in the buses that replaced the closed lines or the fragile branch lines that still exist today.

railfan99

Established Member
2023 will be the 50th anniversary of the start of running on the preserved Great Central Railway.

There are several events planned for the year, starting in Jan (27th - 29th) with the Winter Steam Gala featuring the visiting Urie S15 No 506 and Std 5 Camelot No 73082.

If it's anything like the Spring Steam Gala that just by chance on my holiday from Australia I was able to attend, it should be a 'must visit' event. Put it in your electronic or paper diary. The Network Rail Loughborough sttaion is a short distance from L. Central GCR.

Last year's other season equivalent was superbly organised: I managed to travel behind at least five different steam locos of different classes and that was only on a Friday, not Sat/Sun peak days. Incredible: where else in teh world can one do this in 2022-23?

BUTRailcar

it is the 110th anniversary of GNR S Class 4-4-0 No.171 Slieve Gullion. Boiler testing happening. Might be out later in the year

Trainlog

Celebrating 150 years of the Isle of Man (steam) Railway and 130 years of the Manx Electric Railway this year.

The IOM steam railway doesn't fail to amaze me from its locos & rolling stock to its rich history of steam operation:). Do we know which of the locos are running as if they will run the Beyer Peacocks along with Caledonia (I know Dubbs Glasgow made) that day it will be an interesting show to go and visit.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The IOM steam railway doesn't fail to amaze me from its locos & rolling stock to its rich history of steam operation:). Do we know which of the locos are running as if they will run the Beyer Peacocks along with Caledonia (I know Dubbs Glasgow made) that day it will be an interesting show to go and visit.
They've published the programme for July, looks like they'll have Loch, Caledonia, and Kissack as usual and Maitland might be back in service. IIRC Fenella's boiler ran out at the end of 2021 and isn't back.

david_g

The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway celebrates 60 years of preservation and 120 years since the original opening this year. With the seven year interregnum this means the preservation period has overtaken the Cambrian/GWR/BR operating period by seven years and counting.
Celebrated by an event on 17th/18th June.

Trainlog

The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway celebrates 60 years of preservation and 120 years since the original opening this year. With the seven year interregnum this means the preservation period has overtaken the Cambrian/GWR/BR operating period by seven years and counting.
Celebrated by an event on 17th/18th June.
Ah yes, how could i forget:). As much as the pre preservation era is interesting especially in the GWR part, i really do like the preservation era part of its history as they have acquired an interesting collection of locos with personal non original favourites being Joan and number 14. Been there few years ago and would love to come and visit again!

Trainlog

On Thursday it was 10 years ago that the Bluebell railway reached the mainline at East Grinstead.

Flying Phil

Established Member
At the weekend, there was a meeting of GCR staff and volunteers and it was said that, as part of the GCR 50th Anniversary weekend 17-19th June, there was to be a freight working - Windcutters plus vans etc. for a 50 wagon train! This time it is 50@50.
There are more events planned for those people who were there 50 years ago, at Loughborough and elsewhere, supporting that impossible dream of a Main Line being preserved.

Trainlog

At the weekend, there was a meeting of GCR staff and volunteers and it was said that, as part of the GCR 50th Anniversary weekend 17-19th June, there was to be a freight working - Windcutters plus vans etc. for a 50 wagon train! This time it is 50@50.
There are more events planned for those people who were there 50 years ago, at Loughborough and elsewhere, supporting that impossible dream of a Main Line being preserved.
I have been meaning to see the GCR for a long time albeit strikes and costs of EMR have gotten in the way of me doing so. I reckon i might make the effort to see that as it sounds to be probably one of the biggest galas of the year.

I would like to ask is the railway going to be doing some high speed running demonstrations over that weekend?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Trainlog
There will be a lot going on in June but there are other events also planned during the year so keep checking the GCR website. Now the Quorn bridges have been replaced, the TSRs will be lifted, but the high speed running is just for testing purposes and demonstrations of the Travelling Post Office set. I don't know when the TPO will be running again though.

robvulpes

"River Esk" on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway is also 100 this year. Birthday gala 29 April to 1 May with guest loco "Samson" from the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. River Esk then heads south with Samson to guest at the RHDR Steam and Diesel Gala on 13/14 May. (Usual caveats).

Status
Not open for further replies.