• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are you an Essential Worker in London? If so, we want to hear from you

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonTravelWatch

Verified Rep
We are reaching out to Londoners who still have to travel to let then know how they can get out and about. We also want to find out if they are having any difficulties with the services on offer so that we can talk to TfL and train operators on their behalf. These might be:
  • Essential workers who are travelling to jobs that are literally keeping us alive
  • People who find it harder to get out and about, like older Londoners who might need to go out for medical appointments
We would like to ask you if you would be happy for us use your experience and the information you have provided in our communications with TfL and other transport providers, as well as in our public-facing work such as on social media and in our blog posts. We will anonymise the information you have provided.

We would also like to ask you if you would like to join our Transport User Panel. If so, we will occasionally pose questions to you about issues which affect transport users in London, to help us better represent you and your concerns to transport providers and to steer our work.

Thank you once again, we look forward to hearing back from you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
We also want to find out if they are having any difficulties with the services on offer so that we can talk to TfL and train operators on their behalf.

Do you also want to know what TfL and TOCs are doing right or just the negatives ?

gka472l

Not to mention that transport workers are also essential workers, and are also affected by exactly the same issues as everyone else at this time.

fkofilee

Im a telecoms engineer keeping people connected working in Central London - If thats any good?

Taunton

Established Member
That seems to have been a common experience with London Travelwatch reported on here.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Since I broke my leg 18 months ago I switched to the car. Not going back to busses. First bus was often early so longer to wait at the bus stop to make sure I did not miss it. The change involved waiting at a stop with no shelter so I could get wet. My road tax, insurance and exorbitant parking fees don't vary with use (mileage) so I might as well use my car as much as possible. I spend about the same amount of time in my car (3.5 miles) in the morning as I spent at a polluted (A23 Croydon) urine stained bus stop. I am lucky I do not need to commute far and would no longer choose a job that soaked up my time and money.

I find the "if in doubt" assume passenger guilt attitude frustrating. On train journeys having to ring up to undo the fines for failing to touch out then in because of delays tiresome. Not to mention the stress of watching my daily cap bust and expenditure go over £30 in one case. I could deal with it better than most but I now buy a paper ticket if going to London as it avoids the worry.

Had been doing essential work (according to my employer) but now forced to take annual leave for 4-13/04/20. Car was obviously less risk and I am now driving my better half to/from her hospital cook job as, otherwise, my biggest risk (not to mention hers) is the bus journey. The app for bus arrivals showed no busses anyway this morning !.

Last edited:

Bensonby

I’m a key worker (police officer) and for the duration of the emergency I’ve given up on the train and moved to the car for the following reasons:

- Parking charges have been suspended

- the train service has been reduced and I’m a bit worried about being in close proximity to others

- the car is now quicker and after a 12+ hour shift getting home quickly is a priority (and won’t be cancelled or delayed)

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I’m a key worker (police officer) and for the duration of the emergency I’ve given up on the train and moved to the car for the following reasons:

- Parking charges have been suspended

- the train service has been reduced and I’m a bit worried about being in close proximity to others

- the car is now quicker and after a 12+ hour shift getting home quickly is a priority (and won’t be cancelled or delayed)

I am glad you reminded me parking charges have been suspended, i was not sure !.

Yes, I have resorted to the car but that is since I got off crutches 18 months ago. Breaking a leg now would be a whole lot more traumatic - note to self be careful next time !. My drive to work is weird now so few cars - I go at the same old speed (limit) but I get overtaken a lot currently :s.

Taunton

Established Member
We are reaching out to Londoners who still have to travel to let then know how they can get out and about. We also want to find out if they are having any difficulties with the services on offer so that we can talk to TfL and train operators on their behalf. These might be:
  • Essential workers who are travelling to jobs that are literally keeping us alive
  • People who find it harder to get out and about, like older Londoners who might need to go out for medical appointments
We would like to ask you if you would be happy for us use your experience and the information you have provided in our communications with TfL
Looking at the buses where we are in inner London when out walking, they are currently carrying fresh air. All of them. It seems all the essential workers and those going to medical appointments are going by car. It would be good if TfL/TravelWatch represented the true position instead of hyping it up.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Looking at the buses where we are in inner London when out walking, they are currently carrying fresh air. All of them. It seems all the essential workers and those going to medical appointments are going by car. It would be good if TfL/TravelWatch represented the true position instead of hyping it up.
Or, that your anecdote isn't the "true position" across the whole of London.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

You might well not be out for a walk at the times people usually travel to/from shifts. I would not be out walking at 6 in the morning !. But then again that might be a safer time as in not needing to dodge other pavement/path users !.

bobbyrail

Travelwatch need to be asking Mr Khan why he reduced the tube network to a minimal service and expected these Essential Workers to get across London whilst maintaining the social distancing guidelines laid down by government.

hozza94

Travelwatch need to be asking Mr Khan why he reduced the tube network to a minimal service and expected these Essential Workers to get across London whilst maintaining the social distancing guidelines laid down by government.
Based on what I have read on other forums, there is currently a short on drivers and station staffs as they are normal human beings like us, and would have to self-isolate for 14 days...

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Based on what I have read on other forums, there is currently a short on drivers and station staffs as they are normal human beings like us, and would have to self-isolate for 14 days...

I get the impression they all work a lot of overtime. So they are stressed and tired so more susceptible to illness. Plus of course there is not any spare staff capacity by asking for (more) overtime !.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Because approaching 30% of drivers were in self isolation or off sick. How would you propose to run a full tube service with only 2/3rds the necessary resource?

Dstock7080

Established Member
I get the impression they all work a lot of overtime. So they are stressed and tired so more susceptible to illness. Plus of course there is not any spare staff capacity by asking for (more) overtime !.
LU drivers are not permitted to work overtime. Overtime can only be claimed if the service is disrupted and finishing time is compromised

currently 30 drivers at my own depot are off.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
LU drivers are not permitted to work overtime. Overtime can only be claimed if the service is disrupted and finishing time is compromised

currently 30 drivers at my own depot are off.

Begs the question. Are LU drivers (especially on underground sections) more likely than expected to catch COVID-19. Makes me wonder about being a passenger in that case.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Or, that your anecdote isn't the "true position" across the whole of London.
My experience is that London's buses are pretty empty at the moment in both inner and outer suburbs. Go to a major bus hub like Stratford, Hammersmith or Vauxhall and watch the buses pull out with about ten people on board.

BRblue

My experience is that London's buses are pretty empty at the moment in both inner and outer suburbs. Go to a major bus hub like Stratford, Hammersmith or Vauxhall and watch the buses pull out with about ten people on board.
I would of thought 10 passengers on a bus is quite close to the maximum allowed if you are keeping to social distancing advice.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
I would of thought 10 passengers on a bus is quite close to the maximum allowed if you are keeping to social distancing advice.
Quite possibly, but we're discussing whether or not London's buses are carrying far fewer passengers than previously.

BRblue

Quite possibly, but we're discussing whether or not London's buses are carrying far fewer passengers than previously.
Thanks I realise that as I'm following the thread... but my point stands, how do you know that passengers are not piling on to a bus because they want to keep a safe distance between themselves.
I would think it's a certainty that the buses are carrying fewer passengers as everyone bar essential workers should be working from home.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Thanks I realise that as I'm following the thread... but my point stands, how do you know that passengers are not piling on to a bus because they want to keep a safe distance between themselves.
I would think it's a certainty that the buses are carrying fewer passengers as everyone bar essential workers should be working from home.

I think it is remarkable how few cars there are on the road. Have not seen trains but busses certainly are not packed when I see one.

I think, from experience at my employer, it is caused mainly by home working. I was having to go in and getting overtime (which I really could do without).

bluegoblin7

Established Member

Others have already picked up on the staff shortages, but maybe TravelWatch would also like to go to the Government and find out why certain non-essential industries are still working? That’s where the problem comes from. Off peak trains are running around extremely empty, with spikes at shift change times. What isn’t a typical essential industry shift change time... oh yes, the morning peak.

Dave W

Others have already picked up on the staff shortages, but maybe TravelWatch would also like to go to the Government and find out why certain non-essential industries are still working? That’s where the problem comes from. Off peak trains are running around extremely empty, with spikes at shift change times. What isn’t a typical essential industry shift change time... oh yes, the morning peak.

Quite. Also, overall tube usage has been single figure percentages since the 22nd March. For the last week it's been 4-6%.

I'm sure there will be areas and times where this isn't representative, but how can TfL justify running anywhere near a full service (or even half a service) with passengers down by 95%?

HowardGWR

Established Member
In any case, Mr Khan was not in a position to order reduction of anything, as others above have noted. It looks as though you believed the London tabloids, because that's where I read that nonsense.

Taunton

Established Member
LU drivers are not permitted to work overtime. Overtime can only be claimed if the service is disrupted and finishing time is compromised.
Now is not the time for cosy union agreements to take priority. Whatever part of "service disruption" is not happening at present.
That would be quite reasonable. Here at Canary Wharf I see the, possibly same, buses out with zero load, as I discussed above. Others seemed keen to deny this, portray my observation as incompetent, etc, but it's just the same today. Not only that, but the DLR can also be seen rolling past on its viaduct with the cars completely empty.

Over at our nearby Nightingale Hospital it's the same on the Beckton DLR line which serves the hospital, all empty. The hospital has arranged a car park for staff which is over by Pontoon Dock station on the Woolwich DLR line, and a shuttle bus service has been set up between there and the hospital. I think Khan and TfL expect the essential staff there to go by public transport, but meanwhile the medical management have taken a much more pragmatic approach knowing just about everyone is coming by car.

Well done the shuttle bus crews and organisers for getting this set up.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Now is not the time for cosy union agreements to take priority. Whatever part of "service disruption" is not happening at present.
That would be quite reasonable. Here at Canary Wharf I see the, possibly same, buses out with zero load, as I discussed above. Others seemed keen to deny this, portray my observation as incompetent, etc, but it's just the same today. Not only that, but the DLR can also be seen rolling past on its viaduct with the cars completely empty.

Over at our nearby Nightingale Hospital it's the same on the Beckton DLR line which serves the hospital, all empty. The hospital has arranged a car park for staff which is over by Pontoon Dock station on the Woolwich DLR line, and a shuttle bus service has been set up between there and the hospital. I think Khan and TfL expect the essential staff there to go by public transport, but meanwhile the medical management have taken a much more pragmatic approach knowing just about everyone is coming by car.

Well done the shuttle bus crews and organisers for getting this set up.
The shuttle bus service is being contracted through TfL is my understanding and is free to all NHS staff it will be the highest frequency night service in london at the moment. Running every five minutes throughout the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.