• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Areas that still have night buses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading a little about the N29 in London and behaviour on it, outside London how many areas still have night buses?
In the early 1980 i used to catch the 02 45 from Newcastle central station home, is was both chaos and fun, even the drivers seemed to enjoy it, on a weekend it was always rammed. I have a feeling these ran all week and there were about 5 different routes around Newcastle and gateshead. Killed off I believe soon after deregulation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Been reading a little about the N29 in London and behaviour on it, outside London how many areas still have night buses?
In the early 1980 i used to catch the 02 45 from Newcastle central station home, is was both chaos and fun, even the drivers seemed to enjoy it, on a weekend it was always rammed. I have a feeling these ran all week and there were about 5 different routes around Newcastle and gateshead. Killed off I believe soon after deregulation.

Here in Glasgow we still have night buses but nowhere near as many as we used to. All of them only run early Saturday and Sunday mornings too.

Our Airport service 500 for Glasgow Airport runs 24/7 though

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Routes serving airports often run all night, or at least have very early morning journeys.

higthomas

See my post in a revious thread about night buses: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/night-bus-services.178679/#post-3892620
So, my attempt at a completish list of night bus services.
And now my rankings of locations for night bus transport (weekday services, route variety, uni holiday services and frequency being the main things I look for):
  • London (obviously, it's incredible)
  • Edinburgh (excellent service all week)
  • Bristol (lots of 24/7 routes, with many weekend extras)
  • Nottingham (best weekend service in the country outside London, with some 24/7 routes)
  • Brighton (alright service all week, although worse than it was a couple of years ago)
  • Isle of Wight (wtf , why!)
  • Oxford (cracking by number, and across 4 operators! Only really 3 on weekdays though, and not even the 1 is 24/7)
  • Weymouth (24/3 is pretty impressive for a small town)
  • Birmingham (4 24/7 routes, but otherwise struggling)
  • Manchester (Oxford road excepted, I'd expect more on weekdays to be honest)
There are other bts that might help you in there.
Note, some routes e.g. some have been added e.g. exeter-exmouth, aldershot - camberly

Last edited:

BBC

Bristol has the 43,48,49,70,75,76 all 24/7 operations. There are also the u1 and U3 that run till 4am ish. The last 4 is at 2am. Many extra buses on a Saturday night with the 6/44 running till 2/2:30 am to help out the lone 43 !

Aictos

Established Member
Arriva run the A service 24/7 between Luton Airport and Dunstable via Luton Interchange/Luton Railway Station so I’m sure that counts?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
5 different routes around Newcastle and gateshead. Killed off I believe soon after deregulation.

Go still run night buses on N56 (Newcastle-Washington-Sunderland) and N21 (Newcastle-Durham), as listed. Stagecoach used to run night buses down the West Road and to Heaton, scrapped them, brought them back last year and have scrapped them again. To be fair to Stagecoach, they did give it a good shot. Need to be taken off the list.

Bus Vannin have a strangely good night bus service, which is odd for an island of 80,000 people; an equivalent town in the UK, say Shrewsbury, probably wouldn't get a Sunday service.

the very impressive service from Weymouth to Portland that runs into the small hours

I'm genuinely curious as to what the business case for it is, but there clearly is one otherwise First wouldn't do it!

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Cambridge has the '1A' (Essentially the Citi 1) on Friday and Saturday nights only.

For two nominally similar cities, Cambridge and Oxford have quite radically different 'night time' economies!

roadierway77

Lothian have quite a few night buses.

Here in Dunfermline we have the N55 which runs in the early hours on Saturday and Sunday nights to/from Edinburgh.

The 747 also runs 24/7 to Edinburgh Airport.

Statto

Established Member
Birmingham only has the X1 City-Airport that runs all night, [Coventry section starts from 3am], but Birmingham have 1am last departures on most of the main routes from the City Centre,

Metrobus Crawley has 24 hour bus services on some routes mostly routes going to/from or calling at Gatwick Airport[Gatwick also have an overnight train service]

Stagecoach Preston has one night routes weekends only, but finishes around 3am

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Go still run night buses on N56 (Newcastle-Washington-Sunderland) and N21 (Newcastle-Durham), as listed. Stagecoach used to run night buses down the West Road and to Heaton, scrapped them, brought them back last year and have scrapped them again. To be fair to Stagecoach, they did give it a good shot. Need to be taken off the list.

I'm genuinely curious as to what the business case for it is, but there clearly is one otherwise First wouldn't do it!

The Newcastle nightbuses are a bit of a curious one; I think they did last a bit longer after dereg though as some definitely existed about 1990. They SHOULD have a decent trade given the night time economy and the student trade which is perhaps what they were thinking of in terms of West Road and Heaton?

As for Weymouth, the summer tourist trade is a factor for the route out as far as Wyke Regis. For the rest of the route and out onto Portland.... I can only assume that the hard drinkers/dancers of Portland have too few places of entertainment.

Tempest3K

York has the N66 for the Uni (term time only), as always First missing a trick by not running some late night services even on the weekend for other routes.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
North East Scotland.

First Aberdeen:
N1: Aberdeen - Bridge Of Don
N17: Aberdeen - Dyce
N19: Aberdeen - Culter
N20: Garthdee - Aberdeen - Hillhead
N23: Aberdeen - Kingswells

The First network has been significantly cut in recent years however. Cut routes include:
N5: Torry - Aberdeen - Northfield
N18: Aberdeen - Dyce (Via Danestone & Muggiemoss)
N21: Aberdeen - Kincorth - Cove

Stagecoach Bluebird:
727: Aberdeen - Aberdeen Airport (runs 24/7)
N7: Aberdeen - Stonehaven
N17: Aberdeen - Westhill
N37: Aberdeen - Inverurie
N54: Aberdeen - Ellon

callumowen

A few in Bournemouth and Poole:

more run the N1/N2 between Poole and Castlepoint/Southbourne. Effectively these are the m1/m2 but overnight, with the N2 serving Lower Parkstone instead of Upper, and operate every day.
Yellow Buses also have an N1 between Westbourne and Christchurch, and the N5 which runs from Bournemouth to Bournemouth University in one direction only. Both of these only run on Friday and Saturday nights.

The Newcastle nightbuses are a bit of a curious one; I think they did last a bit longer after dereg though as some definitely existed about 1990. They SHOULD have a decent trade given the night time economy and the student trade which is perhaps what they were thinking of in terms of West Road and Heaton?

As for Weymouth, the summer tourist trade is a factor for the route out as far as Wyke Regis. For the rest of the route and out onto Portland.... I can only assume that the hard drinkers/dancers of Portland have too few places of entertainment.
I think you are right about Newcastle Busways running night buses after dereg, now that I think about it I can remember using my purple inter operators pass on it, which only came out post dereg.

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev Harrogate run some night services on Saturdays with services on the 36 from Leeds continuing hourly beyond the normal 2315 last working until 0315; that and the 0215 continue in service to the Starbeck depot terminating there at 0305 and 0405. To Leeds the normal last bus is 2220 but continues hourly to 0220

A 1N Harrogate-Knaresborough also runs at at 0110 and 0210; the former runs back in service to form the 0210 which then returns in service to the Starbeck depot terminating outside at 0251

Last edited:

Volvo142

Stagecoach Southwest run three Night Bus Services on Friday and Saturday nights, every thirty minutes until 4AM:

N12: Newton Abbot to Brixham
N21: Bideford to Ilfracombe
N57: Exmouth to Exeter

While DayRider tickets aren't valid, the NightRider offers excellent value for money, costing just £3 for unlimited travel from 7pm until the end of service.

PeterC

Established Member
Beaconsfield will be getting a night service to Uxbridge and Heathrow from 29 December and I believe that there are other night services being introduced from the airport. Everywhere else in that part of Bucks a "night bus" is something that runs after 6pm.

The Oxford services that I have checked are Fridays and Saturdays only but I haven't gone through every route by all the operators.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
York has the N66 for the Uni (term time only), as always First missing a trick by not running some late night services even on the weekend for other routes.

The only routes in York that could run into the early hours would be the 5 from Acomb to Strensall (with part of the route rerouted to run on part of the 12 between City Centre, Heworth and Huntington) and the 10 from Poppleton to Stamford Bridge.

Transdev Harrogate run some night services on Saturdays with services on the 36 from Leeds continuing hourly beyond the normal 2315 last working until 0315; that and the 0215 continue in service to the Starbeck depot terminating there at 0305 and 0405. To Leeds the normal last bus is 2220 but continues hourly to 0220.

Speaking of Leeds, you've got the First Leeds N1 which currently runs between Albion Street and Lawnswood Roundabout (timing point Ring Road), the Arriva N9 between Leeds and Cleckheaton and the Arriva N10 between Leeds and Wakefield. No idea if they still run, the late night Arriva journeys on the 202 and 203 (really these should be numbered N2 and N3 to tie in with the N prefixed services).

Around a decade ago the First Leeds 56 use to run 24 hours before the overnight journeys were discontinued, what's interesting is that the long withdrawn 29, 92 and 95 UniLink services weren't 24 hours, at the very least the Leeds to Bodington Hall service.

njlawley

Poole/Bournemouth have the N1 and N2 (night bus variations of the m1/m2), but they don't run on Sunday nights/Monday early mornings.

As for Southampton, the only night bus is the Unilink U1N from Southampton to the university, Airport and Eastleigh on Fri/Sat nights.

And in Manchester, there are no First (or successor operator) night buses. They are all operated by Stagecoach with the sole exception of the X43 Saturday night buses.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
They SHOULD have a decent trade given the night time economy and the student trade

Cheapish private hire taxis have put paid to nightbuses here, to be quite honest. The nightbuses aren't included on the normal day/week/month tickets. Therefore if there's two or three of you, you may as well take a cab. So the students do.

Statto

Established Member
The Burnley Bus Company run X43 Manchester-Burnley hourly until 3am, in this direction only, & on Saturday night & Sunday mornings only

DaveHarries

Established Member
Bristol has the 43,48,49,70,75,76 all 24/7 operations. There are also the u1 and U3 that run till 4am ish. The last 4 is at 2am. Many extra buses on a Saturday night with the 6/44 running till 2/2:30 am to help out the lone 43 !
The 4 is my nightbus home when I am in town for an evening. The nightbuses are great when they turn up on time. Come to think of it, I would be surprised if no thought has been given to adding an extra journey or two onto the 4's nightbus diagrams: an 0030hrs from the Centre wouldn't go amiss but it wouldn't justify 24/7. Back in the days when it was the N7 the regular driver - whose name I forget but he was a nice bloke - told me that the 3am and 4am departures from the Centre would get a reasonable number of passengers.

The other route that runs 24/7 in Bristol is the Airport bus A1.

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.